Matt Colville weighs in.

darjr

I crit!
Hope you are right. As to how do they enforce it? If you don’t allow people to enter certain data into a VTT, it’s enforced.

Are you suggesting they cannot block no official content from their virtual tabletop?

I say they can.

Will they? We shall see.

As to not being loot crates…maybe not at first. But if they can get the VTT popular and insert pay for advantage things in there they most certainly would if allowed.

Unless the backlash means it’s not worth it. I don’t care on some level. I have dice minis and terrain. It’s not me I am worried about. I just worry people might lose interest in the traditional game.
No, this at least, as long as their are groups and DMs, would be difficult to enforce.

I don't see a pay to win working.

Hussar

Legend
Paizo subscriptions are very different though. You subscribe to a certain line of products and you basically auto-buy each new release them and you get a free PDF included.
Sorry, but, how is that not a subscription? You pay a recurring fee to receive periodical releases over the time frame of your payment period.

That's a subscription. Isn't it?

And, as was mentioned a bit later, a Paizo sub is significantly more expensive than 30 bucks a month. So, if I'm getting a full feature VTT with access to the entire D&D library (similar to what they did with the 4e online tools) that's not exactly a high price point. Bit pricey, but, not totally out there. Make it 20 bucks a month and I'm sold so long as the VTT actually works.

darjr

I crit!
Sorry, but, how is that not a subscription? You pay a recurring fee to receive periodical releases over the time frame of your payment period.

That's a subscription. Isn't it?

And, as was mentioned a bit later, a Paizo sub is significantly more expensive than 30 bucks a month. So, if I'm getting a full feature VTT with access to the entire D&D library (similar to what they did with the 4e online tools) that's not exactly a high price point. Bit pricey, but, not totally out there. Make it 20 bucks a month and I'm sold so long as the VTT actually works.
Well you get a physical and/or pdf copy. But I realize that’s kinda the old school idea of a subscription

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well you get a physical and/or pdf copy. But I realize that’s kinda the old school idea of a subscription
I just want books, darn it. My bears is turning grey, I can be grouchy about new fangled things.

But, having looked at the price point Paizo is offering (and I assume it is fair, otherwise they wouldn't be so successful!), and grouchy admiting that the content matters more than the medium.. and then looking at how many designers WotC has hired very recently, and how a Dungeon/Dragon level of content production isn't out of the question...hard to say "lower price than the competition" is price gouging.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ownership vs rental. They're apples and oranges.

My subscriptions to Dragon and Dungeon back in the day are still accessible whenever I want to use them.

My subscription to the 4e D&D tools, on the other hand, is lost to the distant past at this point.
Memento mori: everything us a rental, you can't take it with you. Moth and rust will take it all.

Checking real quick, it seems that adjusted for inflation, getting Dragon & Dungeon every month by the end? About $30.

darjr

I crit!
I just want books, darn it. My bears is turning grey, I can be grouchy about new fangled things.

But, having looked at the price point Paizo is offering (and I assume it is fair, otherwise they wouldn't be so successful!), and grouchy admiting that the content matters more than the medium.. and then looking at how many designers WotC has hired very recently, and how a Dungeon/Dragon level of content production isn't out of the question...hard to say "lower price than the competition" is price gouging.
I never said anything about price gouging.

Anyway DnDBeyond was ok to me because I trusted them. I no longer do.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
They should be looking at buying out TaleSpire.
They surprised Chris Cao with the DnDBeyond buy.
Does anyone think that Chris Cao maybe suffering from not invented here syndrome?

They are increasing the rate that they put out books, and an all access to those books subscription...well, if it's cheaper than Paizo, and comes with e-tool integration via Beyond...I can see thst being attractive to people who don't just like books.
Having now reviewed Paizo's subscription offerings, I am not so sure the number is total BS, at least, since it would represent comparable market rates.
And, as was mentioned a bit later, a Paizo sub is significantly more expensive than 30 bucks a month.
hard to say "lower price than the competition" is price gouging.
Would one lose access to all the purchases (books & PDFs) one made if they cancelled their Paizo subscription?

Last edited:

Remove ads