Matt Colville weighs in.

Hussar

Legend
The pricing isn't really the issue.

The value proposition is.

The value proposition with the Paizo offering is gigantic - it's permanent, owned, no-one-can-take-it-away access to stuff.

The value proposition with the WotC offering is much worse - it's temporary access to the VTT and presumably to the books for it, together some total rubbish like some free mini "drops" and so on.

Worse for you. Not for me.

Just because something is not for you doesn’t make it worse.

Do I get a vtt with my Paizo sub? No? Then it is if no value to me.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Did he say this after the Creative Commons? If yes, this is extremely sad.
Someone in chat mentioned the OGL and CC news yesterday and Matt said that as a direct response.

"Did you hear about...?"

"I'm not paid to care about that anymore."

He's done. He's out. D&D is "the boomer game" and WotC is "that Seattle company".

I get it. But it's weird to see. After watching hundreds of hours of Matt gush about D&D specifically and talk about how he'd be happy to play the game forever, etc. WotC directly attacked Matt, all the other creators, and all the fans. So Matt's done. It's too bad. It's WotC's fault entirely.

Ondath

Hero
Someone in chat mentioned the OGL and CC news yesterday and Matt said that as a direct response.

"Did you hear about...?"

"I'm not paid to care about that anymore."

He's done. He's out. D&D is "the boomer game" and WotC is "that Seattle company".

I get it. But it's weird to see. After watching hundreds of hours of Matt gush about D&D specifically and talk about how he'd be happy to play this game forever, etc. WotC directly attacked Matt, all the other creators, and all the fans. So Matt's done. It's too bad. It's WotC's fault entirely.
Oh wow. That's sad, really. In a video uploaded just two days ago, Jim Murphy (who from what I understand was Matt's DM in their social circle a long time ago) was talking about how Matt is the person who loves D&D the most. To go from there to "I'm not paid to care about that anymore" is... well, understandable, but quite tragic.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Oh wow. That's sad, really. In a video uploaded just two days ago, Jim Murphy (who from what I understand was Matt's DM in their social circle a long time ago) was talking about how Matt is the person who loves D&D the most. To go from there to "I'm not paid to care about that anymore" is... well, understandable, but quite tragic.
It's probably that he's been attacked directly and hurt by this company so he's rightfully pissed. Most people who've been playing a decent amount of time recognize that it's not D&D per se that's amazing, rather it's RPGs in general that are amazing. That vaguely structured make believe is the juice, as Matt would say. It's got almost nothing to do with D&D as a game or TSR then WotC as companies.

Haplo781

Legend
Wonder if his enthusiasm for 4e has been affected.

Remove ads