Matt Colville weighs in.

Osgood

Adventurer
I may be a bad person to weigh in on this because I have no idea who Matt Colville is, but I think his take is wrong. Even assuming WotC's plan is to to attempt to move the game to a subscription-based and/or microtransaction space (which seems likely), I don't know that it will be as bad as he envisions.

Whatever Hasbro and WotC might think (hope), that VTT is really just offering another way to play--just as right now some play on VTTs, some use minis and terrain, others use battle mats and tokens, and others stick with theater of the mind. Some have their preference, others are limited by financial or other constraints (we played on a VTT though the pandemic, and came to despise it--never going back unless its a matter of life and death). Players may argue which is the "best" method, but all are valid. Some will embrace their VTT, others will not. It's hard to say how many will fall in to each camp, but I know it won't be 100%, and I doubt it will be a majority, but I suppose that will depend on the final product, its features, it's price, and what people think of WotC at the time.

As for the notion that young people will automatically be driven to a digital, video game type experience, I'm pretty skeptical of that because of how those young people have been introduced to the game. Every player under 30 that I know started out watching Critical Role or some other Actual Play show. That means their understanding of D&D is a bunch of people sitting around a table playing D&D, more or less in the traditional way--not a twitch video game stream. Will it appeal to some? Of course. But assuming it will appeal to everyone either unnecessarily fatalistic (if you are a member of the community) or optimistic (if you are on the Hasbro board or directors).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I may be a bad person to weigh in on this because I have no idea who Matt Colville is, but I think his take is wrong. Even assuming WotC's plan is to to attempt to move the game to a subscription-based and/or microtransaction space (which seems likely), I don't know that it will be as bad as he envisions.

Whatever Hasbro and WotC might think (hope), that VTT is really just offering another way to play--just as right now some play on VTTs, some use minis and terrain, others use battle mats and tokens, and others stick with theater of the mind. Some have their preference, others are limited by financial or other constraints (we played on a VTT though the pandemic, and came to despise it--never going back unless its a matter of life and death). Players may argue which is the "best" method, but all are valid. Some will embrace their VTT, others will not. It's hard to say how many will fall in to each camp, but I know it won't be 100%, and I doubt it will be a majority, but I suppose that will depend on the final product, its features, it's price, and what people think of WotC at the time.

As for the notion that young people will automatically be driven to a digital, video game type experience, I'm pretty skeptical of that because of how those young people have been introduced to the game. Every player under 30 that I know started out watching Critical Role or some other Actual Play show. That means their understanding of D&D is a bunch of people sitting around a table playing D&D, more or less in the traditional way--not a twitch video game stream. Will it appeal to some? Of course. But assuming it will appeal to everyone either unnecessarily fatalistic (if you are a member of the community) or optimistic (if you are on the Hasbro board or directors).
Yeap. I think folks miss the forest for the trees on this. A digital space will be easier for folks (particularly younger ones) to get into the hobby. Some, perhaps many, will never leave the digital space. However, folks will eventually see limitations in the digital offering, particularly any A.I. GM, and get curious about going tabletop. It will grow interest and be good overall for the hobby. Folks are just chewing sour grapes because they dont like change and want their preference to be front and center.

5th Ed players: “D&D is being taken over by a new younger crowd with different values.”

5th ed players mad at the even younger crowd with different values taking over D&D

Hey look, things really do move in circles.
in 1997 my 2e group was afraid that wotc was going to turn wizards into druids 'tapping land' and sell magic items as cards instead of compendiums...

in 1999 I had friends who said they were playing "The real 3e" useing skills and powers spells and magic and combat and tactics
in 2003 I had friends leave D&D behind because "3.5 is nothing but a money grab, just make it errata"
in 2008 my (at this point half the size of the 1997 and about 2/3 the size of the 2003 group) split almost in half between 4e and pathfinder... both had not nice things to say about the other.

in 2001 we found new players that had never heard of thac0
in 2005 we found new players that had never known haste to allow 2 spells per round
in 2009 we found new players that had never seen a LFQW

the kids are ALWAYS the future, and we can adapt or be left behind... and I just took a count with FB friends... I know people playing every single edition of this game starting with AD&D 1e, until now including both versions of PF as a 'spin off'. And every one of those groups has at least 1 member that will tell you that THE edition they are playing is the only REAL edition of the game.

I have players/DMs I am close with (including the guy that took over DMing after my last game fizzeled) that can honestly say the first time they heard of D&D, the first book they picked up had feats in it... and for those of you not as old as me, those didn't exsisit in 1999.

Or just publish their books as three-ring binders for which individual pages can be replaced when they issue new errata.
Don't! Just don't!

Wasn't there some RPG back in the day that was looseleaf format? Or am I just thinking of the 2E Monstrous Compendium, which effectively was.

Looseleafing is the work of the devil.
in 1997 my 2e group was afraid that wotc was going to turn wizards into druids 'tapping land' and sell magic items as cards instead of compendiums...
Ahhh wow that takes me back. I remember people saying stuff like that.
A VTT that is designed to play D&D, but not to emulate playing D&D.
Whilst I like your explanation, I don't believe this is the case.

I think Cao understood Magic a hell of a lot better than he understands D&D. Also, I don't think the goal of Arena was to fail to replace MtG/Magic Online, I suspect he considers that a failing of Arena, not a success.

Also recall that he didn't want WotC to buy Beyond, he wanted to literally destroy Beyond. He allegedly put out an email with that title (and I don't doubt it).

Art Waring

halozix.com
Wasn't there some RPG back in the day that was looseleaf format? Or am I just thinking of the 2E Monstrous Compendium, which effectively was.

Looseleafing is the work of the devil.
Haha, I think it was Underground RPG, the supplements were softcover and were perforated as tear out sheets to be included in a big 3-ring binder containing everything.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Don't! Just don't!

I mean, the old Moldvay/Cook B/X books were looseleaf if you pulled them apart and put them in a binder like the three holes on the side and the organization encouraged you to do. I knew a guy who did exactly that.

Also TSR put out the Marvel character profiles in a looseleaf format when they were doing the MC stuff for 2e. They really liked the idea that we'd be putting things into binders for some reason.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Haha, I think it was Underground RPG, the supplements were softcover and were perforated as tear out sheets to be included in a big 3-ring binder containing everything.
You mean the Marshal Law RPG (not a dig, love it)? That was only the The Notebook. There were a couple of sourcebooks that had loose leaf stuff to rip out and put in there but it was mostly abandoned after the initial release. So, pretty much like the ol' monstrous compendium.

Art Waring

halozix.com
You mean the Marshal Law RPG (not a dig, love it)? That was only the The Notebook. There were a couple of sourcebooks that had loose leaf stuff to rip out and put in there but it was mostly abandoned after the initial release. So, pretty much like the ol' monstrous compendium.
Mkay gotcha, All I have is the Underground core rulebook (softcover), and the supplement "Fully Strapped Always Packed," but I did see someone with the notebook put in a binder at a game store when the game was still being played. Its been a while since then.

I remember some UNPRINTABLE little UNPRINTABLE I knew borrowed my Aliens RPG (the old one), which had lovely colour plates in it, and he gave it back and he was really sheepish because it turned out he'd though the colour plates could be removed (SIGH) and pulled them out, then realized he'd just broken the binding. That's the last thing he ever got to borrow!

Art Waring

halozix.com
I remember some UNPRINTABLE little UNPRINTABLE I knew borrowed my Aliens RPG (the old one), which had lovely colour plates in it, and he gave it back and he was really sheepish because it turned out he'd though the colour plates could be removed (SIGH) and pulled them out, then realized he'd just broken the binding. That's the last thing he ever got to borrow!
Ouch!

Remove ads