Max. Skill ranks feat

hyulf

Community Supporter
Hello everyone,

I have been scouring my bookshelves and cannot find a feat I was looking for. I am compiling some feats to increase the effectiveness of the Craft skill and such. I have found some great ones from Q. Gnome, Plot and Poison and Hammer and Helm.

However I remember reading somewhere about a feat that increased the maximum skill ranks from level +3 to level +6. It was something like that. Does anybody know where this feat is? I just want to know, its been driving me nuts for the past two days. :(

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Perhaps you're thinking of Skill Focus? That gives you a +3 bonus on a particular skill, on top of whatever ranks you have in it.

The feat you describe wouldn't be as useful as Skill Focus; it has the same effect, but costs more, because it requires you to use up some of your skill points.

Thanee

First Post
There's a feat that increases maximum skill rank in Stargate d20 (which is based on Spycraft d20), but other than that... as AuraSeer said... Skill Focus is probably what you are looking for, it allows you to exceed the maximum as well (and you don't even need to dump the 3 skill points in there, as it simply gives you a flat +3 bonus on top of your ranks (which can be as many as level+3)).

Bye
Thanee

Coredump

Explorer
What about a feat that raises the ceiling for *all* class skills.

Feat: Raise max level for all class skills from CL+3 to CL+5(or 4 or 6)
Feat: Pick 3 skills, max level is increased from CL+3 to CL+6

Or something like that.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Coredump said:
What about a feat that raises the ceiling for *all* class skills.
I think that'd be unbalancing for some builds. With a melee-twink rogue, for instance, it would be equivalent to Skill Focus in all of his most useful skills-- say Tumble, Bluff, Use Magic Device, and one or two others.

Skill Focus isn't the world's most useful feat, but it's strong enough that it doesn't need a four-to-one bonus.

strongbow

First Post
Check Spycraft. IIRC there is a feat that increases the maximum skill rank for two related skills by one. There might be more. (This guy is angling for PrC, not a huge skill bonus btw).

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Something like this?

Netbook of Feats said:
SKILL SPECIALIZATION [General]
Choose a skill, such as Move Silently. You have a natural talent with that skill.
Prerequisite: Key Ability 13+ for skill chosen
Benefit: The maximum rank allowed in the chosen skill is increased by two for class skills or one for cross-class skills (ie. the maximum rank is increased to level plus five for class skills or level plus two and a half for cross-class). You must still purchase those ranks normally.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a new skill.
Balance: 3.30 (Purp 3.75, Pow 3.25, Port 3.25, Comp 3.50, Rule 2.75)

Andargor

anon

First Post
Personally I suggest changing the feat Skill Focus so that it also raises the max skill rank limit, for the chosen skill, to character level + 6, so that the feat is actually worth it. But then that's probably a comment for the House Rules forum.

anon

First Post
Yep, I'm sure you're right.
Those 3 extra skill points would tip the balance on many PrC's.
Bad house rule! Bad!

Remove ads