D&D General Mechanics you DO want to see return

The Glen

Legend
Weapons mastert similar to the Master set at best, 2nd edition otherwise

Crit range and modifiers from 3rd edition to make weapons unique again

Return to 3 saving throws because right now two of them rarely get used

Skill system similar to rules cyclopedia where you gain a new skill every few levels

More fighter attacks like 3rd edition with power/trip/sunder/disarm/etc. Give fighters something to do rather than just basic attacks.

Spell disruption

Merge sorcerors into the wizard class, too much overlap as is right now

Barbarians go back to being a background or fighter archetype like a kit

Give poison teeth

Thanks for the heads-up!

Honestly, I'm fine with a game that only goes to level 10. I find my enjoyment as a DM starts to dwindle after that.

In case you're interested, Book 1 of Into the Unknown (a B/X clone using 5e rules) has racial classes for dwarf, elf, and halfling. However, the classes currently only go up to level 10.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Another one I forgot earlier:

--- magic item properties being hard (or impossible) to determine without actually using the item and thus triggering any curses, drawbacks, or having it not work as you intended or expected. (even ye olde Identify spell shouldn't be guaranteed to get everything, or to get everything right)

This whole idea of learning everything about an item just by sitting with it for a while has to go.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
This whole idea of learning everything about an item just by sitting with it for a while has to go.
Yah, wasn't a big fan of it either, but I try to stay as close to RAW as possible. After 30 some years of houserules, I keep them the bare, bare minimum now. 99% of the houserules I do have, have been proposed by the players.

So I use the Variant Rule from the DMG:

Variant: More Difficult Identification
If you prefer magic items to have a greater mystique, consider removing the ability to identify the properties of a magic item during a short rest, and require the identify spell, experimentation, or both to reveal what a magic item does.

That way, I can at least point at the book and go: it's in there.

Another one I forgot earlier:

--- magic item properties being hard (or impossible) to determine without actually using the item and thus triggering any curses, drawbacks, or having it not work as you intended or expected. (even ye olde Identify spell shouldn't be guaranteed to get everything, or to get everything right)

I'm pretty sure that the default rule is meant to imply that you're actually picking up the item and shaking it around while trying to brute-force the command words. (Kind of like how the "don't roll if there are no consequences for failure" rule is meant to imply multiple attempts before the eventual success.)

That being the case, it would definitely trigger any sort of curse on the item.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
  • Granular ability scores (so odd ability scores are no longer functionally worthless)
  • A more granular skill system (maybe not 3.X skill points, but slightly more range than not proficient/proficient/expertise)
  • 4e monster design (sans 4e's damage race mathematics)
  • Themes; I would probably replace Backgrounds with this only make it more mechanically relevant and improve over time/experience
  • Bolder/more experimental base class design from 3.X. Give me my Incarnum, my Binders, my Factotums and Archivists, my true Spell-Thieves.
  • And...
3fmiei.jpg

Remove ads