D&D 5E Medicine Checks

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To put it in a real would perspective, imagine 1 CP is equal to $1.00.
That’s a bit of an under-estimation. An unskilled laborer makes a silver a day, and a copper is a 10th of a silver. 10 dollars a day is far less than unskilled labor will make you, at least in America. Minimum wage varies by state, but $10 an hour is closer to the mark, if a bit lowballed. If you figure an 8 hour day, that’d put a silver at $80 and a copper at $8.

Ashrym

Legend
This is just my opinion, and it’s a bit of a controversial one, but if the player is thinking of what to try in terms of what their skills are and what those skills can do, they’re going about things backwards. They should thinking in terms of what they want to accomplish and what their character might do to try and achieve that goal. Let the DM worry about whether or not that task requires a check, and if so what kind.

That method does fit in with preplanned adventures. That's why the DC's are already listed in various campaign adventures. It's typical because no one follows the adventures though, lol.

I don't think DM's necessarily have a good guide on matching up the DC's either so guidelines help us too, ;)

Magical healing usually isn't as available for common folk. The PHB prices goods and services in GP which may seem cheap until you realize that the currency most people deal in is SP. Then you realize how expensive things really are in the D&D Worlds.

It's not the common folk I'm worried about. NPC's have the skill already and commoners use it. PC's don't use it and because they don't use it they don't take, then they are even less likely to try and use it. Building into a more mainstream skill for PC's is where I want to go that that's the help I'm looking for. :)

neogod22

Explorer
That method does fit in with preplanned adventures. That's why the DC's are already listed in various campaign adventures. It's typical because no one follows the adventures though, lol.

I don't think DM's necessarily have a good guide on matching up the DC's either so guidelines help us too, ;)

It's not the common folk I'm worried about. NPC's have the skill already and commoners use it. PC's don't use it and because they don't use it they don't take, then they are even less likely to try and use it. Building into a more mainstream skill for PC's is where I want to go that that's the help I'm looking for. :)
If they don't use it, they don't use it. That's judt how some groups roll. As a DM, you can always have a medicine check tied to the success of a healing spell.

Ashrym

Legend
If they don't use it, they don't use it. That's judt how some groups roll. As a DM, you can always have a medicine check tied to the success of a healing spell.

I'm not trying to force it's use. I'm trying to flesh it out so that it has similar appeal to other skills. Right now it's a situational information skill for examining bodies and a non-competitor for other healing aspects of the game.

Consider this a brainstorming exercise. ;)

neogod22

Explorer
That’s a bit of an under-estimation. An unskilled laborer makes a silver a day, and a copper is a 10th of a silver. 10 dollars a day is far less than unskilled labor will make you, at least in America. Minimum wage varies by state, but $10 an hour is closer to the mark, if a bit lowballed. If you figure an 8 hour day, that’d put a silver at $80 and a copper at $8.
But that's only in the US. In most 3rd world countries, $10/day is about right.
This is why they think everyone in America is rich.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But that's only in the US. In most 3rd world countries, $10/day is about right.
This is why they think everyone in America is rich.
Sure, but the entire point of the analogy is to frame the buying power of fantasy currency in terms of our experience. I doubt any of us posting on ENworld live in 3rd world contries working for $10 a day.

Remove ads