Level Up (A5E) Meet Mara, Halfling Sorcerer

Mara the halfling grew up in a hill dwarf culture!

The Level Up Starter Box launched on Kickstarter last week. We’ve already met at T’lingbet, the dragonborn ranger, Akanni, the human adept, Diamond, the planetouched cleric, and Gywven the dwarf rogue. Now let’s take a look at Mara, the halfling sorcerer.

m1.jpg
m2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg

She has claws and burrow speed. So are halflings half badger people in level up? Or is this special to her? The art doest show the claws but at 1d6 damage I assume they are fairly big.
There is a sidebar in Level Up's Adventurer's Guide that talks about the origin of the Halfling heritage. :) Spoiler alert, they didn't arise from Badgers. ;) Halflings aren't into badgering others. 😋

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
This brings up the short-comings of the official Level Up A5E character sheet (and for that matter, character sheets for most TTRPGs): there is so much information about Mara here that would be good to include for any PC, but the space available is just not enough. Just listing the titles of different features (for heritage, culture, background, and class/archetype; destiny at least has it's own info block) sometimes doesn't fit in the allotted space: and that's with abbreviations (such as ASI for Ability Score Improvement). Mind you, I once wrote a short-story about the mother of a PC after creating some backstory for him, so I'm known for over-doing things, but still ...

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
While I agree that the she is unexpectedly short, I would rather want to know how and why she has claws.
Mara has claws because of the Halfling Gift that she has: Burrowing Claws. Having claws that can be used in combat is one of two traits (the other trait included in this gift is Burrowing) that help differentiate this type of halfling from others. Gifts, for any heritage, are taken at 1st level when a character is created. At 10th level, a Heritage Paragon becomes available, which can be a further development of the gift taken at 1st level.

Remove ads

Remove ads