Level Up (A5E) Meet Zidi Wheatling, ‘The Halfling Titan’

Here’s the Zidi Wheatling, the halfling fighter and the first Kickstarter stretch goal!

The Level Up Starter Box launched on Kickstarter last week. We’ve already met at T’lingbet, the dragonborn ranger, Akanni, the human adept, Diamond, the planetouched cleric, Gywven the dwarf rogue, and Mara, the halfling sorcerer.

While that concludes the characters in the starter box, we have announced a bunch more characters as stretch goals. These will be available as free downloads in PDF format. Here’s the first, Zidi Wheatling, the halfling fighter.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

as a 4th level fighter, zidi should have 5 exertion (4 from double proficiency, one from reserves). also, it says that exertion only recovers on a long rest, when it should be short or long. oh, yeah, and her dex and con saves are wrongly swapped.
Does she have 4 or 5 maneuvers?
5, as a 4th level fighter should.
Her background sounds intriguing. Why was she working for the gremlins? Why was she in the Fey lands? Where is Kyla now?
there's a halfling character mentioned in the zeitgeist AP named zidi who was a monarch of risur (a nation closely tied to the fey) that wrestled a fey titan (basically a borderline-but-not-actually-deific fey of immense power) - my guess is this is the same zidi and that fey titan had her captive before she became queen (which would track, the titan in question does turn kids into gremlin servants).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
there's a halfling character mentioned in the zeitgeist AP named zidi who was a monarch of risur (a nation closely tied to the fey) that wrestled a fey titan (basically a borderline-but-not-actually-deific fey of immense power) - my guess is this is the same zidi and that fey titan had her captive before she became queen (which would track, the titan in question does turn kids into gremlin servants).
You can also find Zidi Wheatling in EN Publishing's old superhero supplement Four-Color to Fantasy (and Four-Color to Fantasy (Revised)).

Fun fact: in the original supplement, she's Open Game Content!

Please note my use of affiliate links in this post.

My only note is that the character sheet ought to mention her carrying capacity. Which, since she's got an 18 strength and every option available to increase her carry limit, is ridiculous.

I don't know if this will make it into the character sheet, but when I did my write up for her, this was her background.

Hook

Stronger than her size belies, Zidi is touched by fey magic. Though hunted by minions of her gremlin godmother, Zidi hopes to use her powers to defeat those who think their size and power mean they are not accountable to the small and weak.​

History
When Zidi was only a toddler the armies of a dragon tyrant razed her mountain village. She was saved when gremlins scrounging for salvage found her struggling to dig herself out of rubble. Their dark matron Granny Allswell fostered young Zidi in the caverns of her home in the Dreaming. She taught the halfling to cavort and wrestle with her other little children, but unlike so many other foundlings Granny brought in, Zidi never gave in to fear during the wild underground revels and so did not transform into a gremlin herself.

Granny made use of her by sending Zidi on missions to steal shinies and cuties from the Waking realm, and every time she was rewarded with a boon of strength. Over time Zidi grew uncomfortable with the fear she was sowing however, so one day she ran away and has never returned.

Personality
Zidi's the kind of person you just can’t not like, except that sometimes she is a little overeager and too inquisitive. She’s one of those lucky souls who are truly happy because they know what they’re doing is right, and they enjoy doing it. Zidi lives life intensely but kindly, laughing and crying with those around her. She sometimes seeks out communities of halflings, gnomes, goblins, and kobolds where she grasps for a simple life, yet she never stays long, fearing the pursuit of Granny Allswell’s other children.

Goals
Zidi finds herself drawn to conflicts between fey and the world of mortals. She feels a supernatural strength growing in her (right now she can lift 1080 pounds!), and she wants to draw it out by challenging herself and facing ever greater foes. One day she hopes to find the dragon tyrant who killed her family and do some “draggin” of her own: wrestle the monster to the ground, tie it up, and bring it to justice.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads