D&D General Megadungeons

Celebrim

Legend
As I've never seen this (though have heard of it on various occasions) dare I ask, what's wrong with it?

The best start of this answer involves how the book was made, which was that that divided the dungeon into like 25 (36? Some number) sections, assigned a few monsters of appropriate CR to the sections until they'd separated out basically the whole SRD, and then asked a bunch of authors to individually work on the sections, sewing the resulting maps together like a patchwork quilt from some middle school arts project.

The result of this design by committee was uninspiring in both its grand design and its details. The individual sections were fairly monotonous with the same sort of monster reoccurring several times. There wasn't much in the way of exploration. There were few surprising connections to make, no sublayers to discover, no real sort of twists and turns to take beyond well, left/right. There wasn't a particularly cool overall layout to the map, nor was their particularly cool layouts to the individual map pieces. Thematically the whole thing was supposed to literally be some sort of dungeon to trap monsters in.

By abandoning the haven/delve format players I think lose any particular feeling of agency. It's just a labyrinth of left or right choices with random monsters stuck higgledly-piggledly in the way. And by abandoning verticality, you lose the ability to make hubs, shortcuts, and so forth to reduce travel time, to say nothing of just being monotonous to imagine.

Honestly, starting with the random dungeon generator in the back of the 1e AD&D DMG as a guide, I'd expect someone to develop a more fun and interesting mega-dungeon.

grodog

Hero
Unfortunately, try as I might, I can't find the thread where someone asked about how to make a dungeon interesting and we brain stormed up a megadungeon with multiple layers.

You may be thinking of this discussion Gabor "Melan" Lux posted in 2006?: Dungeon layout, map flow and old school game design or perhaps this one?: Would these maps make for a fun dungeon adventure? ??

Other good discussions about mega-dungeon design are largely off-site:

Allan.

Celebrim

Legend
You may be thinking of this discussion Gabor "Melan" Lux posted in 2006?: Dungeon layout, map flow and old school game design or perhaps this one?: Would these maps make for a fun dungeon adventure? ??

Other good discussions about mega-dungeon design are largely off-site:

Allan.

No, those are good threads, but not the one I was thinking of. The one I was thinking of, a DM had started a campaign with some vague ideas, and he was wanting to know how he could use what he'd developed so far as the basis for a large megadungeon that could be the focus of the whole campaign.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
A few others:

The Emerald Spire (Pathfinder)

Tomb of Abysthor (another Necromancer 3e Module - about a third the size of Rappan Athuk at 8 levels/sublevels, but still pretty mega in my book, and a bit more digestible. Designed to take PCs from 2nd to around 8th or 9th level).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Has anyone ever created a megadungeon before, like a place where the characters enter the dungeon at level 10 and come out level 13?
The biggest dungeon I created was called "the Ultimatum". It was 88 levels and over 2000 encounters. I made it in high school over a year for 1E. I think it might be in the basement someplace with my high school stuff. It would be a beast to convert to 5E, but if I find it maybe I will make it a winter project. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases