D&D 5E [Merged] Candlekeep Mysteries Author Speaks Out On WotC's Cuts To Adventure

In an event which is being referred to as #PanzerCut, one of the Candlekeep Mysteries authors has gone public with complaints about how their adventure was edited. Book of Cylinders is one of the adventures in the book. It was written by Graeme Barber (who goes by the username PoCGamer on social media). Barber was caught by surprise when he found out what the final adventure looked like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an event which is being referred to as #PanzerCut, one of the Candlekeep Mysteries authors has gone public with complaints about how their adventure was edited.

hqdefault.jpg

Book of Cylinders is one of the adventures in the book. It was written by Graeme Barber (who goes by the usernames PanzerLion and PoCGamer on social media).

Barber was caught by surprise when he found out what the final adventure looked like. The adventure was reduced by about a third, and his playable race -- the Grippli -- was cut. Additionally, WotC inserted some terminology that he considered to be colonialist, which is one of the things they were ostensibly trying to avoid by recruiting a diverse team of authors for the book.

His complaints also reference the lack of communication during the editing process, and how he did public interviews unknowingly talking about elements of an adventure which no longer existed.

"I wrote for [Candlekeep Mysteries], the recent [D&D] release. Things went sideways. The key issues were that the bulk of the lore and a lot of the cultural information that made my adventure "mine" were stripped out. And this was done without any interaction with me, leaving me holding the bag as I misled the public on the contents and aspects of my adventure. Yes, it was work-for-hire freelance writing, but the whole purpose was to bring in fresh voices and new perspectives.

So, when I read my adventure, this happened. This was effectively the shock phase of it all.

Then I moved onto processing what had happened. ~1300 words cut, and without the cut lore, the gravity of the adventure, and its connections to things are gravely watered down. Also "primitive" was inserted.

Then the aftermath of it all. The adventure that came out was a watered down version of what went in, that didn't reflect me anymore as a writer or creator. Which flew in the face of the spirit of the project as had been explained to me.

So then I wrote. Things don't change unless people know what's up and can engage with things in a prepared way. So I broke down the process of writing for Wizards I'd experienced, and developed some rules that can be used to avoid what happened to me."

He recounts his experiences in two blog posts:

The author later added "Wizards owns all the material sent in, and does not publish unedited adventures on the DM Guild, so there will be no "PanzerCut". I have respectfully requested that my name be removed from future printings. "

Waller

Legend
To be clear, I'm not saying either of you have said WoTC is racist. Only that in general, I've heard several people claim that WoTC is racist by doing this, and what I mean is that we know who made these changes, and it was Kim Mohan. So for those people who have said WoTC is racist, what they actually are saying is Kim Mohan is racist, since Kim is the one who did this, not WoTC. I suppose my point is it's easier to say "company X" is racist because there's no human tied to that and you don't have to worry about defending your accusation. And it's harder to say "person X" is racist without additional back pedaling or suddenly a bunch of other qualifiers added that weren't added when you (again, general you) said WoTC was racist, because now it's personal to someone directly.

Like you say, it's very nuanced, and I've observed that when you (again, general you) level accusations, it's much easier to level more serious accusations against entities than against actual people when it shouldn't matter.
Poor Kim Mohan. Should we really keep putting his name next to the word "racist" and in phrases like "what they actually are saying is Kim Mohan is racist, since Kim is the one who did this"? Google can be a bit indiscriminate when showing snippets of search results.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I don't feel qualified to discuss the presence (or lack thereof) of systemic racism at WotC, but I find very hard to understand the reasoning behind the decision to hire a black activist who blogs about colonialism in D&D and then alter their entry in such a way...

TheSword

Legend
I don't feel qualified to discuss the presence (or lack thereof) of systemic racism at WotC, but I find very hard to understand the reasoning behind the decision to hire a black activist who blogs about colonialism in D&D and then alter their entry in such a way...
I think before anyone accuses anyone or anything of racism we should look with a dispassionate eye.

Feeling that the editing on your work changed the integrity of that work isn’t necessarily related to race.

Feeling that you wrote good things that were cut isn’t necessarily related to race.

Feeling that someone else took credit for your work isn’t necessarily related to race (as in the case of last years incident).

If there was evidence that it is, then it should be dealt with firmly. We shouldn’t presume racism though.

We can argue all day I’m sure, about whether using the word primitive to describe a temporary structure to house refugees is racist. I don’t feel strongly about it either way to be honest.

A big breath probably needs taking and a moment to reflect. I feel frustrated that an Internet personality posting a comment or two becomes a starter pistol for all sorts of accusations, some of which can be career ending and at the very least harmful, even if the poster didn’t intend that as the outcome.

Last edited:

The first time my freelance work got a big rewrite by the developer/editor was a shock, too. You get used to it. It's their job.
"What is" and "what should be" often look very different. Just because it's the norm doesn't make it right. We can acknowledge that stuff like this happens (and with WotC it seems that it happens a lot) while still campaigning for things to change. Not to mention that there are companies in this industry offering more equitable contracts and more author-involved revision processes for freelancers.

Retreater

Legend
Well, the world is watching how we'll react on these forums. Let's not disappoint.
So I think the big takeaway from all this is how Star Wars Episode 1 was much maligned in its day, but the prequel trilogy fans are really organizing. Many like the Cone Wars series and feels it completes a storytelling gap in the Star Wars universe.
While I really consider myself an original trilogy fan, I am glad everyone has "their" Star Wars (I guess except Star Trek fans).
What's your take?

Reynard

Legend
"What is" and "what should be" often look very different. Just because it's the norm doesn't make it right. We can acknowledge that stuff like this happens (and with WotC it seems that it happens a lot) while still campaigning for things to change. Not to mention that there are companies in this industry offering more equitable contracts and more author-involved revision processes for freelancers.
Why would you want a world in which editors did not edit? Editing makes writing better. Writers that don't like being edited are usually not good writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads