D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Standard fantasy using iconic spells, powers, monsters should do it. Don't shy away from having a cleric or paladin that heals, a wizard that casts fireball or even something as simple as thunderwave. Make the magic and monsters look like D&D magic and monsters which have their own spin.

For me it's less about the setting (although of course that's important too) than replicating the visuals of the actual game mechanics without getting bogged down in the details of how the mechanics work. So no "magic dust", have something other than a red dragon that breaths something other than fire, have a beholder that's actually the terrifying monster that it should be. Lots of ways to make it a D&D movie no matter what the setting is.
it also needs to be fun and sufficiently good.

Standard fantasy using iconic spells, powers, monsters should do it. Don't shy away from having a cleric or paladin that heals, a wizard that casts fireball or even something as simple as thunderwave. Make the magic and monsters look like D&D magic and monsters which have their own spin.
There is a lot to be said for this approach. You don't tend to see everyday low level magic used by the protagonists in your typical fantasy movie*. It's usually good guys with swords vs bad guys with magic nukes.

*Hawk the Slayer tried to do this, with an FX budget that just about stretched to silly-string.

i wonder how much the writers in WOTC are involved in this. Would love to know if Perkins was asked etc.

Are all the actors so far being cast as human?
is it an established setting/module? Nobody talks about I being in icewind dale or saltmarsh

i wonder how much the writers in WOTC are involved in this. Would love to know if Perkins was asked etc.
WotC are consulted, but on matters related to lore, not plot.
Are all the actors so far being cast as human?
No one outside of the production knows.
is it an established setting/module? Nobody talks about I being in icewind dale or saltmarsh
No one outside of the production knows. It's a secret.

I would guess: no. Possibly a few Easter eggs.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It seems likely that WotC will want to roll out a sourcebook featuring the movie's setting, villains and so on, if it's a success. That feels like it would make it less likely that it'd be set in Baldur's Gate or Waterdeep, since there would be a segment of their audience that would feel those had already been covered adequately.

I'd guess an entirely new setting or an area we haven't seen fleshed out, to the extent that WotC has any control over this. (And they might have some input, as the owners of the IP.) Of the two choices, an entirely new setting would be easiest for the filmmakers, since there's no canon to worry about.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
It seems likely that WotC will want to roll out a sourcebook featuring the movie's setting, villains and so on, if it's a success. That feels like it would make it less likely that it'd be set in Baldur's Gate or Waterdeep, since there would be a segment of their audience that would feel those had already been covered adequately.

I'd guess an entirely new setting or an area we haven't seen fleshed out, to the extent that WotC has any control over this. (And they might have some input, as the owners of the IP.) Of the two choices, an entirely new setting would be easiest for the filmmakers, since there's no canon to worry about.
How about a nice new starter box to go along with that movie? While I know "we" have enough starter boxes, a rollout of a new one to coincide with the movie seems like an easy tie in. Especially if they don't do any more novelty one between now and then.

Remove ads

Remove ads