D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Then I brought up how Irons isn't two bit like you claimed.
Commercially. His commercial success is nowhere near the lead role Pine has had in Star Trek - do you actually think who plays Captain Kirk doesn't matter? His commercial success is nowhere near Rodriguez, who is consistent supporting actress in a massive franchise.

His commercial and awards success is dwarfed by Portman, who you foolishly brought up as if Pine and Rodriguez' roles in Star Trek, Wonder Woman, Fast&Furious is as minor as Portman's in Star Wars

Sacrosanct

Legend
Commercially. His commercial success is nowhere near the lead role Pine has had in Star Trek - do you actually think who plays Captain Kirk doesn't matter? His commercial success is nowhere near Rodriguez, who is consistent supporting actress in a massive franchise.

His commercial and awards success is dwarfed by Portman, who you foolishly brought up as if Pine and Rodriguez' roles in Star Trek, Wonder Woman, Fast&Furious is as minor as Portman's in Star Wars
I didn't foolishly bring her up. You were the one to bring up the argument that if an actor was part of a billion dollar franchise, that somehow means a company choosing them for a role later means they are gaining or benefitting from that financial success. THAT is what a foolish argument looks like. Pine had little or no impact to the DCU being a billion dollar franchise (which is the example you gave, not star trek, which is what I mentioned). And Rodriguez certainly isn't responsible for FF franchise being valuable. So saying they chose or otherwise will benefit from those actors because they were part of a valued franchise is simply silly unless you can show how each actor is the driving reason why the DCU and FF franchised are so valued.

That's the reason I brought up portman. Not to compare to Irons. But only to illustrate why the premise of your entire argument is flawed. No one is hiring portman in hopes to cash in on the success of the MCU and star wars.

Dire Bare

Legend
The first movie is good.
The first D&D movie? Or the first Scary Movie? Scary Movie is hilarious and a genius film that birthed a genre of copycat films, beyond just the sequels in the Scary Movie franchise.

The first D&D movie? I wanted to like that movie soooo badly, and really, it's not as bad as a lot of fans kvetch, it's got some good and fun moments. It's watchable . . . . but good?

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Jeremy Irons was the only good part of the D&D movie. The man plays villains with such relish...

But I would put the movie from 20 years ago out of mind; it's not even relevant. It was by an untested young director with a relatively modest budget. These days, after the D&D boom of the last few years, things are likely to be different - we're looking at a movie with a director who knows what he's doing, a better cast, good screenwriters, 20 years of advance in visual effects, and I'm going to guess a budget at least four times higher (probably in the studio tentpole $150-200 million range - given that western fantasy is usually not a difficult sell in East Asia, I'd imagine they're expecting this is one they can make bank on in China. Wouldn't surprise me if Hasbro is considering a big overseas launch of D&D products to go with the movie. If they're not considering one - they should. The definitely should.)

I don't know if I'm terribly excited - but I'm cautiously optimistic that this could be pretty good.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Apparently there are going to be at least 2 more sequels. I can hardly wait ... ah who am I kidding. I can wait. I thought the first one was dumb, and I'm pretty lenient on movie logic. I was cheering for the guys in the mech suits at the end. 🤷‍♂️
What? You didn't like Pocahontas in Space?

GreyLord

Legend
While in a chainmail bikini. :sneaky:

But how are you going to get 18 year old Judi Dench these days???

That said, I think Dench would have more class than do anything like that, even back then.

I have other fears about this movie, such as them trying to make it far more comedic in tone than taking it more seriously...aka...treating it more like the 1st D&D movie did regarding humor rather than a more serious take (and it doesn't have to be always serious, but perhaps something more akin to how marvel has done their movies than a comedy is done).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Well, a movie have something more than looking cool. I mean, Alien Covenant was even dumber but that doesn't mean much.
Yeah, the story was rather weak. And calling your fictionalized materian "unobtanium" was really dumb—that's the name of the trope for rare, exotic materials (like mithril, adamantine, adamantium, vibranium, etc.).

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases