D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

Jaeger

That someone better
Lead actress (Rodriguez - F&F) and lead actor (Pine - WW/DCU) are both consistent parts of multi-billion dollar franchises. These are hires targeting [commercial] greatness, not some two-bit [monetary successes] actor like Irons.

The only reason anyone who doesn't play D&D might know that the first D&D movie exists is because Irons was in it.
Unless the are a really big Wayans fan...

Apparently there are going to be at least 2 more sequels. I can hardly wait ... ah who am I kidding. I can wait. I thought the first one was dumb, and I'm pretty lenient on movie logic. I was cheering for the guys in the mech suits at the end. 🤷‍♂️

LOL so true!

Avatar was just so damn ham-handed preachy that it made the Conquistador blood of my forefathers stir in my veins!

Well, a movie have something more than looking cool. I mean, Alien Covenant was even dumber but that doesn't mean much.

The fact that Alien Covenant was greenlit, given a budget and released, tells you all you needs to know about the future of any D&D movie: It will be a crap shoot.

I'm not holding my breath. Unless they are working from an established authors published material TV/Hollywood has shown an incredible inability to do any original Sword & Sorcery Fantasy of note.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't know Michelle Rodriguez at all, but you'd think her publicist or someone would have picked a photo that doesn't have a piece of gum in her mouth mid-chew.

Like...that's just a really strange choice for someone to make as a lead photo of an actress.
That's not how these photos work. Publications (used in the loose, modern tense that encompasses online-only outlets) pick their images on their own. A lot of these smaller outfits have to go very fast, so it may well have been "that's her, good enough, onto the next post."

Horwath

Legend
Well, a movie have something more than looking cool. I mean, Alien Covenant was even dumber but that doesn't mean much.
haha, yes....

you think the cannot make worse sci-fi movie,
Then they release Prometheus, and when you think that thing cant get any worse...here comes the Covenant :sick:
It's like they have a competition for making a biggest pile of "#$% for a movie.

I have no hope for this movie, and as we are now comparing with some sci-fi;
We are hoping for it to be like The Expanse, but we will probably get something like ST: D

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
What? You didn't like Pocahontas in Space?

I thought it was Dances With Wolves in space.

MRs an ok actor, not in the same league as Jeremy Irons or Natalie Portman who are both very good/excellent actors.

MR never really the lead actor in anything. She's good in certain genres as a supporting actor.

MGibster

Legend
The fact that Alien Covenant was greenlit, given a budget and released, tells you all you needs to know about the future of any D&D movie: It will be a crap shoot.
True Story: When given the choice between seeing Alien Covenant and Wonder Woman in theaters I chose the former over the ladder. I chose poorly.

MGibster

Legend
In some ways it really doesn't take much to make a decent movie. The lead actor in 1982's Conan the Barbarian barely spoke English, the dialogue wasn't exactly Shakespeare to begin with, the plot wasn't anything spectacular, and the director had the temerity to ignore the source material from which the movie was based (and got Conan's hair color totally wrong), but it's a genuinely good movie. I'm not saying it's high art or anything but if you take the movie on its own terms it's quite enjoyable. The "perfect fantasy for the alienated preadolescent" as Ebert put it. The awesome soundtrack helps.

We have a long history of excellent fantasy movies and I don't just mean in the last few years. I loved Jason and the Argonauts, Excaliber, Clash of the Titans (the original), and of course in more recent years Lord of the Rings. I guess all of those were based on good stories that have stood the test of time. But I feel as though D&D (in its various incarnations and settings) has enough decades of material to mine from to produce a good story for the silver screen. I remain optimistic. I don't expect Shakespeare but I do expect an entertaining show.

Horwath

Legend
True Story: When given the choice between seeing Alien Covenant and Wonder Woman in theaters I chose the former over the ladder. I chose poorly.
I think that the latter choice is better. By a lot.

But then again, being a lot better that Alien:Covenant is not really an artistic achievement.

Remove ads

Remove ads