D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's the point.

You didn't need an explanation. You don't need an explanation of something when the tone and style and acting and so on make it obvious what's going on.

My dad had never read any of the LotR books and didn't like fantasy in general as a concept. He loved the LotR films. He also enjoyed GotG, despite being a massive film snob. And Aquaman (I haven't seen it yet). And Doctor Strange. He has no idea who any of those people are. He'd be pressed to explain that DC and Marvel are separate - I think he knows Superman is not in the same universe as Spider-Man, that's about it. But he enjoyed it. A D&D movie wants to be a movie any noob can enjoy.

Yeah agreed. It won't be Eberron or Darksun. Niche of a niche.

I guess they want a universe expectations they'll muck it up.

MCU is like highlander. There can be only one.

Yeah agreed. It won't be Eberron or Darksun. Niche of a niche.

I guess they want a universe expectations they'll muck it up.

MCU is like highlander. There can be only one.
Eberron isn't a niche, let alone niche of a niche.

If you think it is, that's a result of you not knowing things. Pretty basic things if you're going to talk about Eberron. It's a fairly generic fantasy kitchen sink with some ideas not common until the 1990s, y'know, 30 years ago. How you do not know this I do not know. It was explicitly solicited by WotC on those grounds. They weren't looking for niche settings. If it's "niche of a niche", so is the FR and Greyhawk is more niche than either.

Whereas Dark Sun is a niche (maybe even niche-of-a-niche), given that's post-apocalyptic, and focused on powers that are somewhat unusual in D&D, and that the races are all wildly different to usual.

Zardnaar

Legend
Eberron isn't a niche, let alone niche of a niche.

If you think it is, that's a result of you not knowing things. Pretty basic things if you're going to talk about Eberron. It's a fairly generic fantasy kitchen sink with some ideas not common until the 1990s, y'know, 30 years ago. How you do not know this I do not know. It was explicitly solicited by WotC on those grounds. They weren't looking for niche settings. If it's "niche of a niche", so is the FR and Greyhawk is more niche than either.

Whereas Dark Sun is a niche (maybe even niche-of-a-niche), given that's post-apocalyptic, and focused on powers that are somewhat unusual in D&D, and that the races are all wildly different to usual.

People lack perspective on these boards. D&D is still fairly niche itself a movie is not a guaranteed hit based on name alone.

Casuals at large barely familiar with steam link/magic tech Eberron they never would have heard of it.

Anime itself isn't that popular often polarizing. Love it or hate it.

People lack perspective on these boards. D&D is still fairly niche itself a movie is not a guaranteed hit based on name alone.

Casuals at large barely familiar with steam link/magic tech Eberron they never would have heard of it.

I'm sorry, but if you think normal people can't handle films/TV/books with steampunk/magitech in them, you are just proving my point re: not knowing stuff. It's a point so patently ludicrous it's not even worth arguing.
Honestly, if there's a dungeon and a dragon, that will meet the baseline expectations of a Dungeons & Dragons movie for a general audience.
Quite right.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm sorry, but if you think normal people can't handle films/TV/books with steampunk/magitech in them, you are just proving my point re: not knowing stuff. It's a point so patently ludicrous it's not even worth arguing.

Quite right.

Peter Jackson did a steampunk type movie and it bombed. Wasn't even a bad movie.

If he can't get it across the line....

You can do it it's just harder.

Other day people on these forums were saying the traditional Pantheons etc were boring blah blah blah etc etc etc.

Netflix had 3 viking shows on it, the last 3 Assassin's Creed games sold millions and set records for DLC. They used Ancient Egypt, Greece and Vikings as back drop.

Assassin's Creed movie flopped and the movie was better than the D&D ones with a bigger franchise to back it.

MCU drew heavily on Asgardian mythology.

The classics are classics for a reason. A single assassin's creed title gets more money than the entire rpg market does in several years.

D&D is still niche comparatively. They don't really have an A list actor because they don't really exist anymore except maybe The Rock and Tom Cruise.

By A list I mean someone who can carry a movie by themselves. Chris Hemsworth movies for example haven't done that well outside of MCU. Robert Downey Junior similar boat.

Chris Pine can't really do that either. Star Trek underperforming did that and your not going to see Wonder Women because of him.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No, it's easy to explain magic trains. It's explaining what magic trains have to do with D&D which is difficult. People who don't play D&D think they know what it's about, and what they think it's about does not include magic trains. And one of the things that cause people to rate a movie down is if it fails to meet their expectations.

And, if by some miracle, your magic train movie is successful, you have forever associated D&D with magic trains. If you then wanted to do a Forgotten Realms movie the audience would wonder "Why are people riding horses? Why don't they just take the magic train?"
None of this makes any sense, on any level.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

One day you'll write an actual sentence.

But no, you're wrong. Even my grandma, before she passed, knew what Dungeons & Dragons was. She had no interest in it, but she knew what Dungeons & Dragons was like she knew what Star Wars was, which she also had no interest in. D&D is far more well known than Iron Man was when that movie came out. No way did my grandma know who Iron Man was. Hell, even I didn't. And when Star Wars or The Fast & The Furious came out, fewer people (by which I mean zero people) had heard of Star Wars or The Fast & The Furious than have heard of D&D.

People who sit on forums like this and make out like they're in some super secret-squirrel weird niche elite illuminati club that nobody has ever heard of are deluding themselves. Everybody has heard of Dungeons & Dragons. Everybody. They might not play it, but they've heard of it. Like tennis, y'know? I don't know anybody - literally anybody - who plays tennis, but they all know what it is. I dare you to walk out into the street right now and ask a random stranger if they've heard of D&D. They'll say yes.

Also, don't do that, because pandemic. Except you're in NZ, so I guess do do that. And they'll still say yes.

The name "Dungeons & Dragons" is more well known than the name "Iron Man" was 12 years ago. And look where the Marvel universe is now.

Zardnaar

Legend
One day you'll write a full sentence.

But no, you're wrong. Even my grandma, before she passed, knew what Dungeons & Dragons was. She had no interest in it, but she knew what Dungeons & Dragons was like she knew what Star Wars was, which she also had no interest in. D&D is far more well known than Iron Man was when that movie came out. No way did my grandma know who Iron Man was. Hell, even I didn't. And when Star Wars or The Fast & The Furious came out, fewer people (by which I mean zero people) had heard of Star Wars or The Fast & The Furious than have heard of D&D.

People who sit on forums like this and make out like they're in some super secret-squirrel weird niche elite illuminati club that nobody has ever heard of are deluding themselves. Everybody has heard of Dungeons & Dragons. Everybody. Literally, I dare you to walk out into the street right now and ask a random stranger if they've heard of D&D. They'll say yes.

Also, don't do that, because pandemic. Except you're in NZ, so I guess do do that. And they'll still say yes.

They've heard if it maybe. But it's a lot smaller franchise.
. People in the boards over rate it because we all like D&D.

1. D&D doesn't have a successful movie franchise to build on.

2. The yearly rpg market makes less money than the DLC of a AAA video game.

Care to make a wager on the success of the D&D movie? Donation to charity of ones choice $20-$100 USD?

Under/over breaks 500 million at the box office (internationally).

That's half of a a alot of superhero movies. It's on the smaller side of a blockbuster these days.

$200 million break even if they spend $100 million on it.

Put a figure on it no bet required how much money do you think it will make?

You either have a cheap movie with meh special effects or you need to plow a lot of money into it which pumps up it's break even point.

Star Trek beyond made 343 million apparently. Can D&D beat that and at what budget?

Show me the money basically. What's your guess on the box office?

Remove ads

Remove ads