D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's not a franchise. The idea is to start to build a franchise. Star Wars wasn't a franchise in 1978.

Dunno what the rest of those semi-sentence fragments meant.

I'm pointing out that it's very difficult to establish a franchise.

I don't think the general public cares about D&D as much as people on the boards think.

Box office number is objective as is a movies budget.

If D&D us so great in terms of movie franchise potential put a number on it.

It makes money if it doubles it's budget at the box office.

Fairly simple. I've looked into how movies are made and have a reasonable understanding how they make money.

It's a very simple question how much money do you think a movie can make?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm pointing out that it's very difficult to establish a franchise.
Sure. But nevertheless, Hollywood does it all the time.

I don't think the general public cares about D&D as much as people on the boards think.

OK, third time lucky. You're either ignoring me or deliberately misunderstanding me.

So, here goes:

It doesn't matter whether the general public cares about D&D.

In 1978 nobody had heard of Star Wars. In 2000 nobody had heard of The Fast & The Furious. In 2007, few people knew of Iron Man. In 1961, nobody knew who James Bond was. The list goes on and on and on and on.

More people have heard of D&D than had heard of any of those franchises at the time. D&D is starting a franchise, which is always a risk, but is in a better position than any of those properties were when they started.

Zardnaar

Legend
Sure. But nevertheless, Hollywood does it all the time.

OK, third time lucky. You're either ignoring me or deliberately misunderstanding me.

So, here goes:

It doesn't matter whether the general public cares about D&D.

In 1978 nobody had heard of Star Wars. In 2000 nobody had heard of The Fast & The Furious. In 2007, few people knew of Iron Man. In 1961, nobody knew who James Bond was. The list goes on and on and on and on.

More people have heard of D&D than had heard of any of those franchises at the time. D&D is starting a franchise, which is always a risk, but is in a better position than any of those properties were when they started.

You've got your opinion I've got mine.
. Box office will validate that.

It's good faith I don't care what number you put on it.

It's not pseudo scientific there's a box office number.

Star Wars made $400 million + in 1977.

I'm happy to put a number in my guess. That number could be completely wrong and I'm happy to admit it once the movie is released.

What's bad faith about that it's a very simple process. If the movie flops odds are it's gonna be a while before we get another one.

What if instead of novels, hypothetically they adapted a module?
It's not going to happen, I think there's more chance that the movie wont even be fantasy, but a modern day movie about people playing D&D than it would be an adaption of a module.

But if it was... What module would make a good movie?

Zardnaar

Legend
What if instead of novels, hypothetically they adapted a module?
It's not going to happen, I think there's more chance that the movie wont even be fantasy, but a modern day movie about people playing D&D than it would be an adaption of a module.

But if it was... What module would make a good movie?

X1 isle of Dread.

They could recycle a module name but would have to inject a story/metaplot into a lot of them.

It wouldn't work for a number of reasons but I felt 'Faction War' from Planescape had a cinematic vibe to it.
I feel like you might need a different movie first just to set it up.

Dire Bare

Legend
None of this makes any sense, on any level.
To you.

I love Eberron's magic trains . . . . I don't think they belong in an introductory film for D&D. Eberron is pure awesome, but it stretches what D&D is into new genre territory. After a successful series of "basic" D&D films, then I hope the franchise has enough interest to get us an Eberron movie or 10, plus perhaps some Dark Sun, Planescape, maybe even Spelljammer cinematic goodness.

Scribe

Legend
To you.

I love Eberron's magic trains . . . . I don't think they belong in an introductory film for D&D. Eberron is pure awesome, but it stretches what D&D is into new genre territory. After a successful series of "basic" D&D films, then I hope the franchise has enough interest to get us an Eberron movie or 10, plus perhaps some Dark Sun, Planescape, maybe even Spelljammer cinematic goodness.

Planescape would be so fun. I want a modern setting book for Planescape so so bad.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases