• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Might return after years away

jgsugden

Legend
My advice:

1.) Don't spend on the new when the old will suffice. Try building 4 to 6 decks using your old cards and see if he likes it. Avoid using the archaic rule cards (no interrupts) and stick to simple stuff with these first decks.

2.) Don't count out D&D and don't feel you need to go two player. If your friend has a circle of friends that might be interested, offer to DM for them. My advice is to water down the 4E rules. Make PCs for each player and simplify how they work. You may wish to wait until later in the year when a new 'Essentials' line is beginning which is intended to serve as an introduction to the game for new players (or to bring old players back into the fold).

3.) You can also do an RPG that is very simple. Every attack has a 50% chance to hit. Weak enemies take 1 hit to kill, strong ones 2 or 3. PCs are only hit 25% of the time and can take 5 hits before falling unconcious. Everything else is just a matter of flavorful descriptions. It is a good 'gateway' RPG system for first time players that helps them get used to *role* playing before getting distracted by rolling dice.

I'm excited about the new magic set, which basically has three elder gods awakening and destroying the world. Fun stuff. It comes out next week, I believe.

Asmor

First Post
The prerelease is tomorrow, and I can't wait for it.

It promises to be a very different game, at least with respect to limited. Instead of a mad rush to kill your opponent before he can do the same to you, the ground is clogged with efficient, very playable defenders which give people time to ramp up their mana and cast huge, swingy spells.

Aus_Snow

First Post
CCGs can be a hell of a money sink -- something, possibly, to watch out for. Depends on personality, and on occasion, personality disorders or the like, to a large extent. But still, Magic the Gathering works on the principle that (basically) the more you spend, the more you win. And if you want to win more, it's hard to skirt around or overcome that fundamental aspect.

Even so, assuming it's not an obsession or what have you, there are certainly worse things out there one could choose to throw money at.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
But still, Magic the Gathering works on the principle that (basically) the more you spend, the more you win. And if you want to win more, it's hard to skirt around or overcome that fundamental aspect.

This is only true if you play competitively or with folks who are involved in the magic card arms race. If all you do is play with a circle of friends, all of whom are using the same pile of cards to make decks with (how I usually play, using my ancient cards) then its not the case.

In the case of the OP, he wants to play with his son, so there is no arms race as they are going to be sharing the same stock of cards for their games.

DS

Aus_Snow

First Post
This is only true if you play competitively or with folks who are involved in the magic card arms race. If all you do is play with a circle of friends, all of whom are using the same pile of cards to make decks with (how I usually play, using my ancient cards) then its not the case.

In the case of the OP, he wants to play with his son, so there is no arms race as they are going to be sharing the same stock of cards for their games.
Oh, I know. It's just. . . well, I've known a few people here and there who've let the combination of competitiveness and money=win get the better of them, for whatever reason(s). And yes, it takes more than one to tango, etc. But that's the thing -- some people are also pretty impressionable.

Not trying to scare, let alone dissaude anyone here! Just -- perhaps -- something to be aware of, on some level. Depending. . . :uhoh:

Asmor

First Post
Money = win is at best a half-truth, and at worst an outright falsehood.

In constructed tournaments, it is often necessary to spend a fair amount of money to be competitive-- BUT that's (sometimes) necessary, and never sufficient. You also need to be able to build a good deck for your meta game and have the skills to play.

In pretty much every other format... Money is completely irrelevant. It's not even possible to dump extra money into limited games, for example, which are wildly popular and the only form of tournaments I'll play in.

In casual, there are always lots of wacky things you can do on the cheap. Hell, you could even look up some of the more competitive pauper (all common) decks and they'd probably kick ass in most casual games.

Then there are also plenty of ways to play which just use a fixed pool. In fact, here's my absolute favorite way to play: it's called Stack. You just get a bunch of cards that are fun, and use that as a shared deck. Get about 30 of each basic land, and you're all set. Set the basic lands aside, and whenever someone draws they can choose to draw either from the stack or draw a basic land of their choice.

Literally every single person I've played my Stack with has had a blast with it. It's an awesome format for multiplayer. And its cost is literally nothing for anyone with a collection of any size, or you could build one for a few bucks from scratch.

Dire Bare

Legend
CCGs can be a hell of a money sink -- something, possibly, to watch out for. Depends on personality, and on occasion, personality disorders or the like, to a large extent. But still, Magic the Gathering works on the principle that (basically) the more you spend, the more you win. And if you want to win more, it's hard to skirt around or overcome that fundamental aspect.

Even so, assuming it's not an obsession or what have you, there are certainly worse things out there one could choose to throw money at.

While I agree that any collectible game can be dangerous for addictive personalities or folks with low will-power . . . . I disagree that to play Magic you must spend more to win more.

I have friends who regularly purchase new cards, and I have friends who are satisfied with the cards they bought years ago (I'm somewhere in-between), and we all manage to remain competitive with each other and have lots of fun. You don't have to be a "Mr. Suitcase" (old Magic term) or have all the latest cards to build killer decks.

Remove ads