• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Might return after years away

malcolypse

First Post
I'm interested in finding some games I can play with my avid 9-year-old son. He loves board games, and has taken a liking to Settlers of Catan. He has been in to Yu-Gi Oh! and Pokemon for a few years, mostly to collect and trade with his friends at school.

I hadn't played Magic: The Gathering since the Ice Age set. I still have nearly all my cards. I bought boxes of them in the day, I got out when I saw a never ending procession of new series coming.

I remember with fondness some of the games, the ease with which to pull out a deck and play a few hands when the D&D group didn't all show up.

My son sees my D&D books and asks often when he can try. Thing is, I haven't decided which edition nor have I found a group to play in regardless of edition, D&D is not very 2-player friendly.

Magic is though. I'm don't want to get in to be a rabid collector again. I only want to get it to get enough cards to be able to play and have fun with my son.

What should I know about how things changed since I last played?
What is needed to get started?
How much more could we get to add variety and not go collector crazy?
How often does Magic change series and what does it mean when they do now?

my aunt has a rediculous (probably a couple thousand) amount of cards from back in the day. she's eager to sell them, but isn't sure what any of them are worth. i haven't played in about a decade, so i was useless to her in finding them a new home, but if you're really interested, i could act as an envoy and offer introductions.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
my aunt has a rediculous (probably a couple thousand) amount of cards from back in the day. she's eager to sell them, but isn't sure what any of them are worth. i haven't played in about a decade, so i was useless to her in finding them a new home, but if you're really interested, i could act as an envoy and offer introductions.
Thanks for the offer, but I do still have boxes of old cards, also likely in the thousands!

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Nice. I may have to look into these. Some of my friends at work have talked about doing Magic some evenings. We all have different levels of cards, so starting fresh would be good.

Brad

Remove ads