• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mini Painting with Mark

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'm the first to admit that I am but a novice miniatures painter. Harder still to admit that I have been a miniatures painter slacker. So let this thread serve as either an inspiration to others, or an embarrassment to me, but either way I am going to get some of these damned figs I collect painted (even if they don't turn out perfect!)

See, that's the main problem. I'm an old graybeard when it comes to gaming, started way back in the mid-seventies, but all of my buddies always collected and painted minis. I never really need to lift a brush. If I wanted to have a special figure to represent a character in someone else's campaign, I'd just pick out one they had already done and that was good enough for me. When running games, there were always enough around to serve closely enough to what I needed.

Then a few years ago, the miniatures collecting bug got me. Unfortunately, the painting bug never followed. I'd pick up a brush now and again, sort through the small collection of paints I had searching for which ones hadn't yet dried out, then I'd stare at the darned figure I had primed and ready to go. Next, I'd figure a couple of pics would help inspire and back to the computer I would go to search for pics and dream of the mini now sitting unattended on the work table.

But not this year damn it all!

So, with this new found enthusiasm to paint, and a little encouragement from all of you, I am now going to get all of this lead, pewter and plastic coated with colors if it kills me, and no matter how the bastards turn out!

Eternalknight

First Post
Good luck Mark! Be sure to post some pictures once you are done :cool:

Oh, and by the way, you are most definately not the only one out there like this... *hangs head in shame*

Tom Cashel

First Post
Mark, I've just started to paint a 500-mini collection after twelve years of not painting and twenty-one years of gaming...it's not easy! :) Stick with it! Best advice: practice on some really difficult, small-scale minis first (you can always strip them and start over), then graduate to the Reapers...25mm scale makes 30mm scale seem easy!

Painfully

First Post
It's okay if you do a less than stellar job. Just keep a bottle of pine-sol ready and you can retry the same fig again...and again. Practice, practice, practice :)

kengar

First Post
I feel your pain. I have about 30 GW orcs & goblins to finish plus 3-4 of my Chainmail gnolls (mmmmm! full of gnolly goodness!), NTM something like a dozen or so assorted NPC types, some wolves and a few undead! I just finished an orc I had left sitting half-painted for almost a month without working on anything else in the meantime.

All together, I probably have something like 50 unpainted figs (not counting the dozen or so I want to strip and do over). Which isn't so bad, I know. It's a sickness! :D

Technik4

First Post
You think thats bad....

I started collecting Chainmail figures as they came out, collected most of thalos and the game went under. Now I have most of every faction, in some cases doubles (except Naresh, which I have none of). Then I went home and got an old L5R Clan War box set and expansion I bought years ago. I have close to 100 miniatures glued and on their bases, close to 100 awaiting bases (I decided on all round for everyone) and worst of all Ive only painted about 20 total. Thats 180ish unpainted minis, and I seem to buy more everyday!

Check Ebay under searches "Chainmail" (yeah, you have to wade through a lot of chainmail bikinis and stuff) or "Clan War" (these are all oriental style minis), they are wayyyy discounted off of retail (I buy 4 L5R minis that retail for 11.25 for $4 (5ish with shipping) and chainmail really varies, though if you are starting and willing to buy a lot from one person, you can get some great deals!).

Glad I found this forum,

Technik

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I, too, always seem to want and pick up more without having finished the ones I have. I'm gonna try and fiinsh setting up an online archive for my figures and projects so I only have to post a single pic or two to this thread. More soon... :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads