Missile Weapons at Point Blank Range

willows

First Post
"A ranged weapon can't be used as a melee weapon" means "A ranged weapon can't be used with powers that have the Melee keyword."

Mort_Q

First Post
No, it can't.

If the rules say they can't then the rule is wrong. :p

Seriously though, why not?

[edit]

And don't try to suggest that the weapon category section on 215 doesn't also allow me to consider the bow in my hand as an object you pick up to to hit someone with, especially since doing so has no mechanical advantage to just kicking someone.

[/edit]

Last edited:

Regicide

Banned
Banned
If the rules say they can't then the rule is wrong. :p

Seriously though, why not?

Because the rules say so.

Also, a strung bow will break before you actually do any damage with it, a tree branch is vastly more effective. Likewise a rock is far far better than stabbing someone with a shuriken which is likely to do more damage to you than the person you stab! They are ineffective.

Mort_Q

First Post
Because the rules say so.

I think that that is arguable.

Also, a strung bow will break before you actually do any damage with it, a tree branch is vastly more effective. Likewise a rock is far far better than stabbing someone with a shuriken which is likely to do more damage to you than the person you stab! They are ineffective.

Ineffective, yes. But I'd classify any improvised weapon that way.

I can see your point, but I don't see any reason, other than flavour preferences, to disallow it.

Kordeth

First Post
Actually what you quoted shows that it CAN be done. If you couldn't, then there would be no need to state that it invokes an attack of opportunity.

Just to play devil's advocate, this sentence by itself doesn't prove that you can make ranged attacks against an adjacent enemy, just that you can make a ranged attack while an enemy is adjacent to you. This rule means that you can, for example, attack an ogre 5 squares away while a goblin is menacing you with a rusty hatchet--by itself, this rule doesn't prove that you can shoot the goblin.

What proves that you can shoot the goblin is the fact that range isn't the sole distinguishing factor between a melee and a ranged attack--a ranged attack against an adjacent ally doesn't become a melee attack--and thus the "ranged weapons cannot be used as melee weapons" rule doesn't apply.

Camelot

Adventurer
Let's ignore the rules for one second, and step into the realm of roleplaying.

You're an archer who is very skilled in the bow but lousy with a sword, even a club. You join an adventuring team that includes a fighter who is your polar opposite; he packs devastation into the swing of his axe, but for the life of him isn't agile enough to tie his shoes.

When you're in battle, you note that when the fighter is fighting multiple enemies at once, he attacks only one at a time, but is still protecting himself from attacks around him.

You fight from a range, but every so often, an enemy engages you in melee combat. You know that if you attack a creature at range, you have to take your focus off the space around you, and can be hurt by melee attackers.

At one point, your enemies take notice of you, and you are attacked by two goblins. You ready your bow; you can still hit at point-blank range. One hand holds the bow, and the other strings the arrow. You are focused on your target right next to you, so there is no way he can get in an attack. However, the other enemy can, and does, even though you have trained to gracefully dodge while stringing your bow. However, its attack is not enough, and you still fire your arrow at the other goblin. It falls backwards, the arrow protruding from its chest.

Now, we translate this into rules. Opportunity attacks are provoked when the target is not focused on the enemies nearby. When you are moving, you are focused on your destination, and your enemies can take an opportunity attack. When you use a ranged or area attack, you are focuses on your targets far away, and enemies can get in an opportunity attack. However, if you use a ranged attack on an adjacent enemy, you are focused on it, so how would it be able to sneak in an attack without becoming an extremely easy shot? I know the rules don't cover this situation, but that's why you need to cover them yourself. My rule is that you can't take an opportunity attack on a creature using a ranged attack if you are the target.

For area attacks, you can take an oa if you are a target, but not if you are in the square of origin, because that is where the attacker is focusing. It makes sense and works, giving ranged attackers a break, plus monsters can use this tactic too.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Because it's easier to dodge at point-blank range - you just need to be sure the bow isn't pointing directly at you. It's relatively easy to duck under or around and get inside the archer's guard, at which point you can make an opportunity attack.

Kalthanis

First Post
I think my difference of opinion in this post about taking it out of the rules is this:
You are focused on your target right next to you, so there is no way he can get in an attack.

I have long ago stopped trying to apply real world physics to the game system. There are just so many instances where it breaks down or is altered for game balance reasons. However, I would very much contend that if you had a bow and had even managed to both nock an arrow and pull it back in the midst of getting swung at, that you are incredibly exposed to a melee attack, regardless of how much of him you can see or focus on. Besides, if all it took to avoid attacks was to focus my attention on something, well I suppose that's what my defender does. ;)

Camelot

Adventurer
Too true. My lack of real world knowledge really shows, huh? Well, it usually never comes up in my game anyway. Our ranger doesn't think twice about trying to engage in up close combat; if the monster's head towards her, she books it.

Sorry if I seemed condescending. That was just the way I thought of it when I learned the rules, so it worked for me. I've never been in this situation, so I wouldn't know! =)

Remove ads