MLK jr Day

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I've thought for a while that Black History Month material for school lessons should begin with "I Have A Dream" and continue beyond to include "Letter From Birmingham Jail" and a sampling of Rev. King's sermons. His total writings were huge, there must be more good material overlooked and going unused.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
sigh

BHM...soooooo short a time to cover sooooo much that otherwise gets overlooked. I find out new stuff every year, and I graduated from HS in 1986. Some of what I learned in those years was unknown by my folks...and some of US made a bit of that history ourselves.

But hey, I’m not making the perfect the enemy of the good. I’m grateful to those who fought for and created BHM.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Funny, U2 an Irish band singing about US civil rights just seems ironic.

Honestly, it's not ironic at all. Ireland had its own civil rights movement in the 1960s, it's just that the salient issue was religion. Martin Luther King, Jr. had a massive influence on the movement. One of its leaders, John Hume, was even awarded the Martin Luther King Jr. Nonviolent Peace Prize in 1999.

R_J_K75

Legend
Honestly, it's not ironic at all. Ireland had its own civil rights movement in the 1960s, it's just that the salient issue was religion. Martin Luther King, Jr. had a massive influence on the movement. One of its leaders, John Hume, was even awarded the Martin Luther King Jr. Nonviolent Peace Prize in 1999.

Even as I typed it I knew ironic probably wasnt the right word. I didnt know this though, its always good to keep educating yourselfl, good to know.

Remove ads