MM2 - what monsters are you excited to try?

fba827

Adventurer
So I recently got the MM2. I have been flipping through it in my limited time, but I thought I'd toss out this question as a general curiosity ...

What monsters in MM2 are you most looking forward to trying out in your group - it can be for interesting game mechanics, or maybe the monster has a special nostalgia factor for you/your group ?

I have only read a little, but one that jumped out at me so far ...

Fell Taints (though I generally haven't used many abberations, something about that Fell Taint Feeding seems dealdly yet fun!)

How about the rest of you - What creatures (for whatever reason) jump out at you as something exciting to try?

(It will give me a list of monsters to look at the next time I flip through the book and only have limited time) :)

the Jester

Legend
A bunch of them!!

Fey lingerers, spriggans, gorechain devils, steel predators, rust monsters, retrievers, the new hydras, giant ants, green slime... there are a ton (some of which I've done up myself in the past).

the Jester

Legend
Well, my (approx.) 13th-level party is dungeoneering on Tuesday, so there is a very real chance that I'll get to use at least some MM2 monsters...

AllisterH

First Post
Here's what I found that looks interesting to try...

General mechanic - I like to see how the "have more than one initiative score" mechanic feels in play versus the "get multiple attacks in a round" mechanic. Might combine a Bebilith and a Hydra and see which one scares/is more effective on players.

Ankheg - Mandible Carry has a great visual that players can readily imagine and also has wide open possibilities for cagey/bastard DMs and is a relatively unique mechanic to ankhegs

Barghest Savager - Power Feed - I always liked the idea of the barghest, just never the interpretation of it but I think this version might be a neat one to spring on a player...

Bullywug - Nature's Release - Classic monster that the podcast highlights as being tweaked to be memorable and Nature's release is certainly that...

Couatl Star Serpent - No one single feature but the whole package gets thumbs up as being one of the best ELITE-designed monsters. Definitely will see use.

Darkmantle - Heh..I always liked how they reimagined the piercer from the switch over to 3e so I'm definitely happy to see the 4e version and the ENGULF ability also has a neat visual for players to imagine...

Demogorgon - the entire entry under him allows for a player to build up to a classic battle with the two headed guy himself while still giving unique game play features (-I really like the prelate and the cultist)

Abyssal Rotfiend - Heh I love the fact that Conjure Abscess and Floating Despair mean you're screwed EITHER way. I especially like that they are ranged meaning you don't have to target JUST the melee classes but anyone that likes to hang back...

Kazrith - Good features that back up its lurker status..AS the role that gets the least amount of love across the two MMs, I always happy to see another one, especially at level 20. Definitiely better than the 24th level lurker, namely the assassin devil

Pod Demon - Absolutely love the visual and the mechanic implementation of this creature and its minions....Definitely a highlight of the MM2 IMO.

Rupture Demon - Great example of the new minion design...I like that it is relatively simple for me as a DM to run and highly effective at the same time.

fba827

Adventurer
I started looking through the ones mentioned here. Have to say, nice stuff.
Lots of good unique mechanics on some of them, good flavor on others (tastes like spicey chicken ;) )

if anyone has others, feel free to add!

Stogoe

First Post
I'm definitely using Firbolg and Spriggans in my upcoming paragon campaign. And the premade higher-level humanoids will definitely get used and reused.

The Far Reamls Taint thingies and the Star Spawn are very much to my liking. ;)

Generally, the latest Far Realms stuff made me consider to run a "Far Realms Incursion" plot in my onlinge campaign.

AllisterH

First Post
Heh, thought I was done? Nope, here's some more interesting beasties...

Deva Knight-Errant's Health Transfer I like the ability to not only heal an ally but take on one condition from the other ally. This is going to be pretty neat especially when you pair this Deva up with a higher level solo.

Gorechain Devil - While Grasping Chains doesn't actually do any damage, I like how it locks down a PC. The PC still has their actions and can take part in the battle, they just can't move from that aura...Definitely set up some nice environmental/team combos with that...

Infernal Armour Animus - Now this is a minion players are going to love to hate and DMs will love to use...Kill it, and you just make the other nonminions stronger...Don't kill it, and the nonminion devils kick your butt harder. NASTY.

Mistfortune Devil - I just love the random chaos this devil can cause although its Ray of Distortion might cause some inter party problems....

Djinni Windbow - Blowback is definitely an appropriate name given how it triggers and the effect (1st monster that can gain action points?) and the imagery of the player scoring a critical and the windbow furiously responding with attacks thanks to action points....I got one player who loves the critical and I'll have to restrain myself not to abuse this critter...

Coure of Mischief and Strife - Spark of Strife is just plain funny...Can you imagine an invisible enemy constantly using this and the party not even realizing what the hell is going on? Only problem is I can see this being annoying but I honestly don't know how best to use this...

Geonid - SHELL FORM - Ultimate ambush team...

Rockfist Smasher - Internal Avalanche - Another action point gainer and I just love these new monsters that can spike their actions thus keeping the battle fresh.

Tempest Wisp - Tumbling Updraft - I WILL throw that pc mini up in the air when I connect with this...My players are all going to laugh at the poor sucker as this is so looney tooney that they'll chuckle at it.

Fell Taint's Fell Taint Feeding is brutal especially at low levels where PCs are more likely to be helpless and/or unconscious....

Fey Lingerer - Vestige Transformation - NICE. Definitely somebody at WOTC has taken heed of the calls for transformation of elites and solos when they die...You see it in a lot of fiction (comics books and games) but not enough in RPGs where there is an actual physical transformation.

Remove ads