• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Initiating a Grapple

IndyPendant

First Post
Oh no worries there, Jay. I didn't mean to imply any wrongdoing. It's good too to get feedback about the rules.

--Hmm...I think I'll link my game in my sig too.

Have fun!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You can absolutely Grapple on a Charge.

Grapple, Trip, and Disarm all have footnote 7 on the Table of Action Types.

7 These attack forms substitute for a melee attack, not an action. As melee attacks, they can be used once in an attack or charge action, one or more times in a full attack action, or even as an attack of opportunity.

It's worth noting, of course, that Sunder doesn't.

-Hyp.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
You can absolutely Grapple on a Charge.

Grapple, Trip, and Disarm all have footnote 7 on the Table of Action Types.

7 These attack forms substitute for a melee attack, not an action. As melee attacks, they can be used once in an attack or charge action, one or more times in a full attack action, or even as an attack of opportunity.

It's worth noting, of course, that Sunder doesn't.
I'm so glad that I corrected myself before the Smurf-hammer came down. Even if I did still flub the Sunder reference. :eek:

kjenks

First Post
In a charge/grapple, the attacker would get -2 on AC vs. the AoO in step 1, +2 on the melee touch attack in step 2 and +2 on his opposed grapple check in step 3. All four steps are part of the same attack action, so the bonus and penalties apply to all four steps.

Unless the attacker is Leonardo Carson, in which case the Dallas defense would impose its usual circumstance penalty on all grapple attacks, offsetting the charge bonus. (I swear, the Cowboys' cheerleaders are better athletes than the DTs.)

kjenks said:
In a charge/grapple, the attacker would get -2 on AC vs. the AoO in step 1, +2 on the melee touch attack in step 2 and +2 on his opposed grapple check in step 3.

I'm with you until that last part.

A grapple check is not an attack roll, though in many ways it is similar.

Moreover, when charging:

SRD said:
Attacking on a Charge: After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll.

Once you've made the touch attack attempt, you've used up your +2 bonus from charging. You only get it once.

So, no, you don't get the bonus on the opposed grapple check.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads