• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monk Weapon

Coroc

Hero
Why, oh why would they want a katana? ;)

Sent from my Huawei P10 plus

A katana would be much more aesthetic for an eastern style monk at least, although if you analyse this more closely : a katana is a weapon which only samurai (aka knights) were allowed to wield they believed their honour and their soul was connected with their katana. I believe (not sure about that though) that its use by common folk in japan was even more forbidden than use of long sword in some comparable laws in medieval Europe. At least I once read that non samurai caught wielding a katana were killed on sight by samurai.

For the monk I rather recommend ninja-to 1d8 slashing 1h, or a wakizashi 1d6 slashing, although with the second one I am not sure if it was considered a samurai only weapon also.

The Chinese had some nice swords also I think they're called dao.

For the katana maybe that new kensai class would be the optimum, but that is not exactly a monk anymore.

So an elven monk wants to wield a long sword one handed. Does that count as a monk weapon?

If you and your DM/table agree that it does? Absolutely. Sure, the PHB says no, but the longer you play the game the more you should develop a healthy disrespect for the PHB. As they say, the map is not the territory.

What is the intent of the Monk weapon restrictions?

Primarily, it's to limit players to selecting weapons that reinforce the flavor of the class. That flavor is an eastern style martial artist, which developed primarily using weapons available to peasants. However, styles exist that employ twin swords (twin butterfly swords), sabers (dao), and what would reasonably be considered a longsword (jian). Mechanically, however, it restricts you to "weapons that are do not have the two-handed or heavy" primarily to prevent the player from benefiting from the higher damage dice with the extra attacks that the Monk class benefits from.

What are the outcomes of allowing a longsword to be a Monk weapon?

1. Well, you kind of get about +1 damage per attack, since most Monk weapons deal 1d6 damage. Quarterstaff and spear do 1d8 with versatile, but I know some tables don't allow that. If your table is the type of table that's going to get upset about the extra damage, you'll want to take that into account. It sounds like you've already done that partially by denying versatile from longsword.

2. If you use random treasure, your Monk player might have a slightly better equipment draw. However, if you're going to give out magical weapons as treasure, most DMs tend to give players something they can at least use.

That's... really it. If #1 is *really* a problem, then let them use longswords with shortsword or spear statistics. If #2 is *really* a problem, then don't use random treasure, or tell the player that they lose proficiency with everything except dagger and longsword due to the unusual focus of the school. That's not a significant penalty as far as weapon selection, but it does give them a much narrower equipment draw.

Personally, I'd let the player have it, but help the player develop a backstory: "Your master, and elf known to wander the wilderness, eventually diverged from the standard teachings. In the vast tundra of the frozen north, he came across a crippled silver dragon fighting seven frost giants. Alone with a mangled wing and a misshapen jaw, the dragon killed all seven giants while protecting itself using nothing but it's tail. He aided the dragon and nursed it back to health as best he could, but the dragon's injuries were not new, and not within your master's ability to cure. After years of study and meditation, he used the dragons way of fighting to develop The Way of the Silver Dragon Tail. Some schools will shun such a technique, and may distrust or fear you as a result. Additionally, your master taught you to be proud of his teachings and the style. You are generally unwilling to use any other weapon or form."

Last edited:

hejtmane

Explorer
A katana would be much more aesthetic for an eastern style monk at least, although if you analyse this more closely : a katana is a weapon which only samurai (aka knights) were allowed to wield they believed their honour and their soul was connected with their katana. I believe (not sure about that though) that its use by common folk in japan was even more forbidden than use of long sword in some comparable laws in medieval Europe. At least I once read that non samurai caught wielding a katana were killed on sight by samurai.

For the monk I rather recommend ninja-to 1d8 slashing 1h, or a wakizashi 1d6 slashing, although with the second one I am not sure if it was considered a samurai only weapon also.

The Chinese had some nice swords also I think they're called dao.

For the katana maybe that new kensai class would be the optimum, but that is not exactly a monk anymore.

Samurai were basically Eastern version of Feudal Knights, it depends on the era but they were Horsemen and a lot of them used a Odachi before they were outlawed which were big two handed swords and as Japan moved away from the feudal system they had this warrior class and needed a way to control then the the entire Meiji era which brought Japan to the modern era. Now we have all these anime tropes and legends that have been converted to these stories etc

Last edited:

Donnor80

First Post
Well, stat speaking, it is really no big deal, 1d8 one handed. Maybe you could allow it at a level where the monk gets a class feature, like 3 or 4. Helps characters grow!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Just because one knows how to use a weapon (proficiency) doesn't mean said weapon meshes well with the fighting style one was trained in (monk). So there's no real conflict in denying their use together.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

G

Guest 6801328

Just because one knows how to use a weapon (proficiency) doesn't mean said weapon meshes well with the fighting style one was trained in (monk). So there's no real conflict in denying their use together.

Yeah, exactly. If a monk dips 1 level into Fighter you wouldn't let them use Greatsword, right?

Not only is Longsword not a Monk weapon it's not even a Finesse weapon. Elves get the free proficiency but they still have to use Strength when they wield it.

I dunno, I would have thought that granting the exception but restricting damage to be equal to other monk weapons would have been a great solution. I hate to say it, but if that still isn't good enough it smells an awful lot like Munchkinism.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I would if the player had a good backstory with how the monk order integrated the long sword.

When I studied some tai chi I used a guan dao, which is a halberd. I have no problem if a players makes a good story to fit it. A three section staff is equivalent to a flail, with reach if used properly.

Just come with a good story and maybe some info on your special order. In the elf case I would let them use the longsword as a monk weapon and then take away some other monk type weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd happily allow the longsword for an elf. I'd probably require them to use strength to use it since it isn't a finesse weapon but it seems pretty flavorful for elves to develop a martial art that utilises their racial weapons.

I would if the player had a good backstory with how the monk order integrated the long sword.

When I studied some tai chi I used a guan dao, which is a halberd. I have no problem if a players makes a good story to fit it. A three section staff is equivalent to a flail, with reach if used properly.

Just come with a good story and maybe some info on your special order. In the elf case I would let them use the longsword as a monk weapon and then take away some other monk type weapons.
Would you consider a guan dao as a Monk weapon though?
Would you let the player use the halberd? glaive? stats for it, or would you adjust them to be more in line that the other Monk weapons?

I'd happily allow the longsword for an elf. I'd probably require them to use strength to use it since it isn't a finesse weapon but it seems pretty flavorful for elves to develop a martial art that utilises their racial weapons.
I think a big part of the draw for making favoured weapon X into a Monk weapon is being able to use dex with it.

Having a martial art associated with a weapon doesn't necessarily make it a monk weapon. Fighters definitely, and probably rogues and other classes are martial artists.
Its the association with the explicitly magical martial arts of the Monk class that makes a weapon a 'Monk weapon'.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Would you consider a guan dao as a Monk weapon though?
Would you let the player use the halberd? glaive? stats for it, or would you adjust them to be more in line that the other Monk weapons?

I think a big part of the draw for making favoured weapon X into a Monk weapon is being able to use dex with it.

Having a martial art associated with a weapon doesn't necessarily make it a monk weapon. Fighters definitely, and probably rogues and other classes are martial artists.
Its the association with the explicitly magical martial arts of the Monk class that makes a weapon a 'Monk weapon'.

Well in the context of this thread I'm clearly talking about being hapoy with making it a monk weapon.

Remove ads