D&D 5E Monster Manual Expanded II Second Edition News and Updates

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
The Second Edition Update for Monster Manual Expanded is now available! Download your copy now!

Monster Manual Expanded (5E) - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

FYI, this isn't the final version yet as we're still waiting for more art pieces to be completed. We'll make 1-2 more updates (just for the art) and then prepare for the PoD by the 2nd quarter of 2022.

Release 1.png
Release 2.png
Release 3.png
Release 4.png
Release 5.png
Release 6.png

Last edited:

Already downloaded and have been paging through it.

Not only is there lots of new art (although as @Nixlord says in the above post there's even more to come), but many creatures have had legendary and lair actions added, and even beyond that there are a good amount of new monsters scattered throughout the various entries. I was assuming the new edition would be basically errata, new stat block formatting, and new art, but there's actually quite a bit of new or significantly changed stuff in here...

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Already downloaded and have been paging through it.

Not only is there lots of new art (although as @Nixlord says in the above post there's even more to come), but many creatures have had legendary and lair actions added, and even beyond that there are a good amount of new monsters scattered throughout the various entries. I was assuming the new edition would be basically errata, new stat block formatting, and new art, but there's actually quite a bit of new or significantly changed stuff in here...

Yeah, I didn't want to just make statblock updates and art changes. After MME3, I really wanted this to be a more meaningful update, filling in more content whenever I felt it was needed. Most boss-type creatures got an overhaul, as well as the legendary ones. Spellcasters were streamlined, but not so much as in MotM. I still left in some spells for veteran DMs to enjoy.

Hope you can leave a review for the second edition on the DM's Guild review page. Would really appreciate it! :)

Weiley31

Legend
My goodness, that Marilith General looks absolutely nuts. Seems like half the attacks would just reduce a PC to half health or even straight up murder somebody if the rolls to avoid such pain should fail.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Regarding the Marilith General's tail attack: I understand what you mean for it to do, but I worry that some might find it contradictory that it both states that you can "automatically hit the target with its tail" AND "can't make tail attacks". Perhaps a rewording? "can't make tail attacks against a different target"?

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Regarding the Marilith General's tail attack: I understand what you mean for it to do, but I worry that some might find it contradictory that it both states that you can "automatically hit the target with its tail" AND "can't make tail attacks". Perhaps a rewording? "can't make tail attacks against a different target"?
Thanks, yes, it's missing that line. To be precise, it's missing 'against other targets.' This will be fixed in the next update.

And this is exactly why I want to have a 2-3 month review period before I finalize the PoD. If you find any other issues, please let me know. :)

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
The Second Edition Update for Monster Manual Expanded is now available! Download your copy now!
Downloaded and looking forward to "oohing" and "aahing" over it in the next few days. :)

Also, I am happy to see you keeping the earlier edition up and available. I don't know if I will always care for the new approach to spellcasting, so being able to compare the older volume will be nice to have in the future! Thanks!

Rhuarc

Explorer
Thanks a lot for your continued improvement of these books, will buy the physical books finally as well now!
Do you already have an idea when the second volume will release?

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Thanks a lot for your continued improvement of these books, will buy the physical books finally as well now!
Do you already have an idea when the second volume will release?

The PoD for MME1 should be available by the late 2nd quarter of 2022. The PDF for MME2 should be ready by the late 3rd quarter of 2022 and its PoD hopefully by end of the year. I keep saying 'should' because I have no control over the artwork completion. Delays are highly possible, especially due to Covid.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases