D&D 5E Monster Manual Expanded II Second Edition News and Updates

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Monster Manual Expanded II 2nd Edition Art Preview #5. For this week's first preview, it's the aspect of the Beast of Butchery himself, Yeenoghu!

Aspect of Yeenoghu.png

Høygoblin_Khan

I'm not the messiah, I'm just a very naughty boy!
I do understand; however,...

You could have done this for dragons too. Instead making young adult and old red dragons you could have made:
  • Adult Red Dragon Tyrant
  • Ancient Red Dragon Pyromancer
or something similar. To me that would be much, much more interesting and useful. I'm not trying to beat you down, but instead inspire you. You've done great work here, but you didn't improve one of the pillars of the game and they really need it. I think you could really improve the dragons if you release yourself from the shackles of the MM design.

The problem is that anyone can do that. There is already a dragon for every CR from 2-24. The only difference the color makes is the elemental damage. If we want to keep the boring WotC design anyone can simple change the damage type and done!

I agree and that is why I suggested making variants of the existing age categories. I mean evening just using the spellcasting variant and making an actual stat block with spells would be an improvement IMO. But I think you could do better.
Did you look at Monster Manual Expanded III. This has many more dragons - see the attachment.
Anyway if you want Dragons then Fizbans's Treasury of Dragons is the way to go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-17-18-16-23-19_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-17-18-16-23-19_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78

dave2008

Legend
Did you look at Monster Manual Expanded III. This has many more dragons - see the attachment.
Anyway if you want Dragons then Fizbans's Treasury of Dragons is the way to go.
I already own MME3, it was the first one I purchased.
I prefer the traditional chromatics.
Fizban's didn't do enough for MM dragons IMO.
I've already done my own chromatics, see Dastardly Dragons below, but always like news ideas. On that front, the LevelUp Bestiary (Monstrous Menagerie) probably has the best published D&D dragons (though I still prefer mine).

[/spoiler}

Remove ads