• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster PC Int chart broken?

Luke

Explorer
This refers to the 3.5 DMG on page 173, which shows you how to map standard 3d6 ability rolls to a standardized racial range.
These are the charts that compress the 3d6 dice roll range to appropriate numbers for low (less than 10) standard racial ability scores.

The Game Theory
The table works for the table relating to Str, Dex, Con, Wis and Cha.
Fundamentally, the average score on 3d6 is 10.5, which means that a roll of either 10 or 11 can be considered to be the average.
If you check across the [Str, Dex, Con, Wis, Cha] table, you'll see that in each case, either the roll of 10 or the 11 will map directly to the standard monster ability score. Life is good.

The Problem
On the Int table chart, unfortunately, a roll of either a 10 or 11 maps to the *same* result (ie. for a roll of 10 or 11, Std Racial Int of 4-5 always maps to 5, 6-7 always maps to 7 and 8-9 always maps to 9).
This means that for Int, you *cannot* roll an average roll (10 or 11), to achieve a Standard racial Int of either 4, 6 or 8!

A Big Problem?
For me, its a fundamentally important problem. Firstly, I'm a big believer in using a random 3d6 range for *all* creatures (NPCs and monsters), modified appropriately by their racial adjustments. I don't like using the vanilla cardboard cut-outs of the monster manual (where every creature of a particular race has the same abilities, weapons, armor etc). Further, I write RPG software that a character/monster generator built in (with equipment etc), so that I don't need to play the vanilla cut-outs.
Thats the second reason why this is important: Lots of people use this software, so I really need this facet of the program to be right.

What to do?
Any opinions?

- Is this an errata problem?

- Should I just amend the charts for my software to fix this? I hate doing anything unofficial, but if the rules are broken anyway (and the chart amendments would be reasonably slight)?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I'd put in three options: 3.5, 3.0 (which has a more symmetric chart), or straight modifier (racial ability 4, roll 9 = 3).

Luke

Explorer
CRGreathouse said:
I'd put in three options: 3.5, 3.0 (which has a more symmetric chart), or straight modifier (racial ability 4, roll 9 = 3).

:D Like it! The people make the choice, and I get to stay on the fence!

Just so happens that I'm completing a generic "Options" section for RPM, so this will fit in nicely.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by option 3 (straight modifier), but perhaps thats where I put in my own table to re-arrange slightly for appropriate racial averages.

Thanks Charles!

Remove ads