More Details From Marvel RPG Writer

Matt Forbeck, the writer of the upcoming official Marvel Multiverse RPG, talked a little more about the game on his blog.

He confirms that you can create your own characters, as well as play existing Marvel characters. The last Marvel game was the 2012 award-winning Marvel Heroic Roleplaying by Cam Banks and Rob Donoghue, powered by Cortex Plus. Prior to that was Jeff Grub's 1984 Marvel Super Heroes (known as FASERIP due its its attributes of Fighting, Agility, Strength... etc.), and a couple of other games.

The current game borrows that latter idea, with MARVEL standing for the abilities of Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic.

Read more from Matt Forbeck at the link below!

marvel.png

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Prior to that was Jeff Grub's 1984 Marvel Super Heroes (known as FASERIP due its its attributes of Fighting, Agility, Strength... etc.)
A more full list, for folks who might like the context:

• Marvel Super Heroes (often called "Marvel Classic" or "FASERIP" after the names of its stats) - published by TSR in 1984, the Advanced version in 1986
  • Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game - Based on the SAGA engine, also published by TSR, 1998.
  • Marvel Universe Roleplaying Game - published by Marvel itself, using novel bidding mechanics and no dice, 2003
  • Marvel Heroic Roleplaying - using the Cortex Engine, published by Margaret Weis Productions, 2012.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A more full list, for folks who might like the context:

• Marvel Super Heroes (often called "Marvel Classic" or "FASERIP" after the names of its stats) - published by TSR in 1984, the Advanced version in 1986
  • Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game - Based on the SAGA engine, also published by TSR, 1998.
  • Marvel Universe Roleplaying Game - published by Marvel itself, using novel bidding mechanics and no dice, 2003
  • Marvel Heroic Roleplaying - using the Cortex Engine, published by Margaret Weis Productions, 2012.
I wonder which RPGs have had the most licensed RPGs? Star Wars has had... 3? Judge Dredd is currently on its 4th version. I'm sure there are some with more than that though!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder which RPGs have had the most licensed RPGs? Star Wars has had... 3? Judge Dredd is currently on its 4th version. I'm sure there are some with more than that though!

Good Question. I think Star Trek has had, like, seven?

Heritage Models’ Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier (1978)
Terra Games Company’s Starfleet Voyages (1982) (which is like a revised version of the Heritage Models game)
FASA’s Star Trek: The Role Playing Game (1982)
Task Force Games/Amarillo Design Bureau’s Prime Directive (There are GURPS and d20 variants of this)
Last Unicorn Games’ Star Trek: The Next Generation Roleplaying Game (1998) (there are also DS9 an TOS variants)
Decipher, Inc.’s Star Trek Roleplaying Game (2002)
Mophidius' Star Trek Adventures (2017)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Good Question. I think Star Trek has had, like, seven?

Heritage Models’ Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier (1978)
Terra Games Company’s Starfleet Voyages (1982) (which is like a revised version of the Heritage Models game)
FASA’s Star Trek: The Role Playing Game (1982)
Task Force Games/Amarillo Design Bureau’s Prime Directive (There are GURPS and d20 variants of this)
Last Unicorn Games’ Star Trek: The Next Generation Roleplaying Game (1998) (there are also DS9 an TOS variants)
Decipher, Inc.’s Star Trek Roleplaying Game (2002)
Mophidius's Star Trek Adventures (2017)
That's got to be the record.

aramis erak

Legend
Matt Forbeck, the writer of the upcoming official Marvel Multiverse RPG, talked a little more about the game on his blog.

He confirms that you can create your own characters, as well as play existing Marvel characters. The last Marvel game was the 2012 award-winning Marvel Heroic Roleplaying by Cam Banks and Rob Donoghue, powered by Cortex Plus. Prior to that was Jeff Grub's 1984 Marvel Super Heroes (known as FASERIP due its its attributes of Fighting, Agility, Strength... etc.)
Not quite right. There is one between FASERIP and MHR. TSR's Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game, using a custom deck cards instead of dice mechanic. And two editions of FASERIP - MSH and Advanced MSH.

So in order, TSR's MSH, TSR's AMSH, TSR's MSHAG, Marvel Comics Group's Marvel Universe RPG, MWP's Marvel Heroic Role Play.

MSHAG was actually a lot of fun, if a bit whiffy and hard on the PCs. Mechanistically/procedurally, it's a non-player facing version of the engine in DragonLance: Fifth Age.

Davies

Legend
I think that Marvel and Conan* are the only ones with five (if one includes the forthcoming work for Marvel.) The Lord of the Rings has had four (MERP, Decipher, the One Ring, Adventures in Middle Earth), as has Traveller's Third Imperium (various editions of Traveller**, HERO license, GURPS license, d20 License.)

*Conan: AD&D adventures, TSR game, GURPS license, Mongoose d20, Modiphius 2d20.
** If you consider some of these to be separate lines that might tie with Star Trek.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If Call of Cthulhu still required a license, I am sure it would lead the way easily.

I dunno. Call of Cthulhu has had nine editions, but I don't know if we should count those as different "licenced games", even granting the license isn't needed. There isn't that much change, from one edition to another.

If we want to do that, then Prime Directive has its original, a GURPS, a d20, and a d20 Modern version. And Last Unicorn's Trek has its separate versions for DS9, TNG, and TOS. Which would bring Trek's count up to a dozen.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases