More Details From Marvel RPG Writer

Matt Forbeck, the writer of the upcoming official Marvel Multiverse RPG, talked a little more about the game on his blog. https://www.enworld.org/threads/marvel-to-launch-official-marvel-multiverse-tabletop-role-playing-game-in-2022.680483/ He confirms that you can create your own characters, as well as play existing Marvel characters. The last Marvel game was the 2012 award-winning Marvel...

Matt Forbeck, the writer of the upcoming official Marvel Multiverse RPG, talked a little more about the game on his blog.

He confirms that you can create your own characters, as well as play existing Marvel characters. The last Marvel game was the 2012 award-winning Marvel Heroic Roleplaying by Cam Banks and Rob Donoghue, powered by Cortex Plus. Prior to that was Jeff Grub's 1984 Marvel Super Heroes (known as FASERIP due its its attributes of Fighting, Agility, Strength... etc.), and a couple of other games.

The current game borrows that latter idea, with MARVEL standing for the abilities of Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic.

Read more from Matt Forbeck at the link below!

marvel.png

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So OGL is a meta-system.

No, it isn't. The OGL is a license. A system is a collection of parts that perform some functions when put into action. The collected rules across systems released under the don't do anything.

Like, a dictionary is not a system for writing essays. It is a reference.

Yeah by that logic Creative Commons is a license.

The OGL is permission to use a system, not a system. It’s an agreement.
CC is a license, fully owned and copyright by the Creative Commons non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation.
And so is the OGL - it's fully owned and copyright by WotC. Both are great.
Can't really argue about the term "meta-meta-system", since it's an ephemeral word I invented.

[Edit: nevermind. I understand. I don't need to wrangle. And Umbran makes a legitimate definition of system. Fair enough.]

But I/we diverge. This thread is about Forbeck's Marvel game. I suspect it's going to be marvelous!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
CC is a license, fully owned and copyright by the Creative Commons non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation.
And so is the OGL - it's fully owned and copyright by WotC. Both are great.

But I/we diverge. This thread is about Forbeck's Marvel game. I suspect it's going to be marvelous!
A system, I meant. By that logic CC is a system.

Samurai

Adventurer
So, I started playing RPGs with Tunnels and Trolls, and then AD&D.

Marvel Super Heroes was the first RPG I bought for myself - our D&D group was a bunch of avid comic book readers, and we jumped at the chance to play in the genre. I recognize the design isn't perfect, but boy did we have a lot of fun playing that game.

I did not get a chance to play the middle two. The Cortex game runs very well, imho, but I have issues with it over character generation and advancement. Good for an arc, but not for a campaign, again, imho.

I'll play M&M, but I find it a bit too fiddly to be my game of choice for supers-genre.
Another Super game system that I love is Icons. It's written by Steve Kenson, who has a long history creating Supers games, and it's a much lighter system that M&M!

pemerton

Legend
Right, amazing all those systems could legally be freely mixed and mashed together to form more and more systems, all as WotC-license-holders. Even if it hasn't happened. So OGL is a meta-system. A meta-meta-system.
When a game like Traveller is licensed under the OGL, there is no license with WotC except that which permits use of the OGL in which WotC owns the copyright.

[Edit: I deleted my reply to "OGL as meta-meta-system license" subtopic; I don't want to hijack Forbeck's Marvel thread. Thank you!]

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads