More Details From Marvel RPG Writer

Matt Forbeck, the writer of the upcoming official Marvel Multiverse RPG, talked a little more about the game on his blog. https://www.enworld.org/threads/marvel-to-launch-official-marvel-multiverse-tabletop-role-playing-game-in-2022.680483/ He confirms that you can create your own characters, as well as play existing Marvel characters. The last Marvel game was the 2012 award-winning Marvel...

Matt Forbeck, the writer of the upcoming official Marvel Multiverse RPG, talked a little more about the game on his blog.

He confirms that you can create your own characters, as well as play existing Marvel characters. The last Marvel game was the 2012 award-winning Marvel Heroic Roleplaying by Cam Banks and Rob Donoghue, powered by Cortex Plus. Prior to that was Jeff Grub's 1984 Marvel Super Heroes (known as FASERIP due its its attributes of Fighting, Agility, Strength... etc.), and a couple of other games.

The current game borrows that latter idea, with MARVEL standing for the abilities of Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic.

Read more from Matt Forbeck at the link below!

marvel.png

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My take is that the basic resolution mechanic of rolling a d20 and adding one of the marvel stats to see if you do a thing will be similar to 5e, but a full on take like classes and "power slots" won't be happening.
It's certainly possible to come up with superhero classes, but it definitely doesn't feel like the most obvious way to go.

Greg K

Legend
My take is that the basic resolution mechanic of rolling a d20 and adding one of the marvel stats to see if you do a thing will be similar to 5e, but a full on take like classes and "power slots" won't be happening.
I am hoping it will use 1d6, 2d6, d6-d6, or d10 rather than d20

Hutchimus Prime

Adventurer
College friends and I had a lot of fun with Marvel Saga Edition…everything from standard super Marvel super heroes to a The Tick-esque campaign. The card system and mechanics really fit; similar to WEG’s D6 system and Star Wars.
Looking forward to seeing what they do with this system.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd rather see pre built archetypes like Speedster and Powerhouse like you see in M&M for fast creation but also something a bit more robust for people who want to remix common superhero character elements.
I would like it to specifically not get as granular as Champions and M&M. Those games already exist.

There's a big, largely unaddressed sweet spot between M&M, which I believe is the market leader, and the highly abstracted PBtA games like Icons Masks. D&D itself falls squarely in the middle in terms of crunch, and I think that's likely the right spot for this game to go, if the goal is to make it a natural second RPG for a lot of newer players.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If they did need a license, would the separate editions of Call of Cthulhu be different games for our counting?
I wouldn’t count them as different games because the differences are evolutionary and not particularly radical. I think the change has to be substantially greater like between d20 Star Wars and Star Wars Saga Edition - that’s about the minimum amount of change I’d expect to see in a different game. Whereas the difference between d20 Star Wars and Revised d20 Star Wars wouldn’t seem enough of a change to me.

Greg K

Legend
I would like it to specifically not get as granular as Champions and M&M. Those games already exist.

There's a big, largely unaddressed sweet spot between M&M, which I believe is the market leader, and the highly abstracted PBtA games like Icons. D&D itself falls squarely in the middle in terms of crunch, and I think that's likely the right spot for this game to go, if the goal is to make it a natural second RPG for a lot of newer players.
Um,Icons is not PBTA.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads