D&D 5E (More) ruminations on the future of D&D

Mercurius

Legend
This is partially a continuation of the "Golden Era" mega-thread, although I thought I'd start a new one to take a slightly different line of inquiry. After finally getting the Player's Handbook yesterday, I was thinking more about the future of D&D and [MENTION=34175]Thunderfoot[/MENTION]'s post echoed some of my thoughts. Here's Thunderfoot's post to start:

Okay, here's my take after talking with James Sutter of Paizo at GenCon. If D&D is even a moderate success, it's great for the whole industry. His take was as such, when 4e dropped and ultimately "flopped", Paizo stepped into the power vacuum and kept things going. So if WotC is ready to push the envelope then all of us have to step up our game, only good can come from this.

I agree BTW, even though I didn't p/u Pathfinder. After the ENnies this year it's obvious that between Monte Cook, Evil Hat and Paizo, the industry could survive for quite a while, but it's also obvious that WotC took the hint and is really trying to get back to being the 500 pound gorilla in the corner. I think even if it isn't the commercial success they are looking for, WotC has a winner on their hands.

What WotC should probably do is convince Hasbro that D&D can survive mass markets and put the starter box in general commercial stores (like Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) right along side their M:tG Cards. The 80s are over and the "evil evangelical empire" of parental watchdog groups have many other fish to fry (Hip-hop culture, drugs, etc.) Hell, D&D could even come out looking good as a socially acceptable form of activity as you usually gather at the "dining room table" IOW in the house and in sight of parents.

I can't say this last part will happen, but it could and should. :)

Just my two coppers. B-)

Nice post, worth at least a couple silver ;). Anyhow, a line of thinking has been bubbling on a mental backburner over the last few days. There seems to be a rather high wall around the RPG ghetto - higher than most of us think, with perhaps a skewed perception from those of us within the walls as to what the popularity of the game actually is, which may be far less than we think. Further, it seems that there are very limited pathways for the fan-base to grow. I started thinking about how D&D might actually grow, if it could grow at all, whether it is stable in size or if the community is doomed to gradually, if slowly, dwindle away.

Tabletop gaming has long been considered a "graying" hobby - meaning the bulk of players are getting older, with fewer new players coming in than older players going out. If you're WotC you're constantly thinking about how to change that, how to bring in a new generation en masse. What worked in the past - at least in the 80s - was selling box sets in chain book and toy stores like Toys R Us and Waldenbooks. What will work now is anybody's guess, but it seems that WotC believes it will be a diversified approach, perhaps with movies and other forms of media bringing greater public awareness to the game.

So I agree, Thunderfoot, that WotC should try to convince Hasbro that this needs to happen, although as you say, it will be Walmart, Target, etc - along with perhaps a more aggressive approach at Barnes and Noble. But I only think that will work if there is some other way to put it in the minds of young people, and for that a well produced movie or TV series is probably called for.

This isn't the 80s. I honestly don't know where 10-15 year olds shop. I suppose malls? But where? Part of the problem is that the type of kid that would be interested in D&D is either into video gaming and/or into reading. So it makes sense to sell in book stores, but in video game stores? I think, perhaps, the diehard video gamers are a bit of a lost cause - it is just too different, too comparatively easy and passive an activity. But again, if there's a movie franchise, kids will look for D&D products.

D&D could also be advertised towards parents, as a social game of the imagination that gets your child away from solitary screen time. Of course D&D can also be rather solitary - I can't think how many hours I logged up in my room as a kid, poring over my D&D books; however, I imagine that many parents would prefer that to hours upon hours of video games.

If the target demographic for kids starting to play is the 10-15 range (or so; doesn't the starter set say 12+?), then we're talking about parents in their 30s to 50s, mainly Gen Xers in other words. Gen Xers were the kids of the late 70s, 80s and early 90s who remember D&D being around, and might remember the scandals and stigma. The scandals won't scare any but the most evangelical Gen Xers away, but the stigma might to some ("I don't want my kid being an ostracized D&D nerd"). But again, those aren't the likely demographics anyway; there are plenty of Gen Xers who would be open to, even welcome, their kids playing a game of the imagination.

We Gen Xers are also in that nebulous bubble between not quite true "digital natives" (Gen Y or millenials) and not quite "digital immigrants" (Boomers). We learned computers as teenagers, started using the internet in our late teens, 20s and early 30s. We are open to new technologies but also have some wariness and enough distance to still long for the "good old days." So while the kids of Gen Xers are true digital natives, there might be a bit of a tug-of-war going on between Gen Xers and their kids about judicious use of computers and media. D&D might be an interesting option.

But it won't be easy. No matter how you look at it, getting kids who were born in the late 90s and 00s into D&D will be difficult. They've grown up with entertainment at the push of a button, with imagination an endangered commodity. D&D could be a panacea for that, part of a revival of the imagination. Or it could simply be a lost cause, an artifact of a bygone era. I certainly hope more towards the former but I have my doubts.

With each new edition I find myself wondering, is this an opportunity for a new era of D&D, a revival of sorts, or is it yet another dead-cat bounce? Is it a hobby that will have multi-generational appeal or is it largely an artifact of Generation X, bookmarked by a few Boomers and Gen Yers but unlikely to move beyond that other than the few stray throw-backs?

I also wonder if younger kids, as a group, have the required patience and focus to really get into D&D. At the private high school I work at, there is always a group of dorm boys that are into D&D (Pathfinder, mainly; the "4E sucks" meme is strong). But I've noticed that they often don't get far beyond character creation and can never really get a true campaign going, generally preferring the quick fix of video games as a regular entertainment.

It just seems that there are too many factors at work against a true D&D revival, that the best we can hope for is a small bubble with 5E and then a strengthened and stabilized core community, with just enough new players to make up for attrition. Maybe that is all that WotC really expects?

Tony Vargas

Legend
There seems to be a rather high wall around the RPG ghetto - higher than most of us think, with perhaps a skewed perception from those of us within the walls as to what the popularity of the game actually is, which may be far less than we think. Further, it seems that there are very limited pathways for the fan-base to grow.
Have you stopped to think about the nature of that 'wall?' People outside the hobby /have/ heard of D&D. They've seen the actors in Big Bang Theory pretend to play it several times. In the past, being a nerdy/geeky thing was bad, but the past decade or so geek has been chic. MMOs losely based on D&D have had huge mass-market appeal. LotR movies have had huge mass appeal. Everything has been in place for D&D to really take off like it did in the 80s and then some - and has been for many years, going back to, like back to 2000.

And it hasn't. It hasn't even come close, no matter what WotC has tried to do to goose the franchise. They tried making it open source, and d20 did prettymuch eat the hobby alive for a while there, but it didn't bring in vast numbers of new players. They tried giving it an on-line component, but couldn't develop it. They tried improving it as a game - making it less arcane and more accessible - and the core fan-base rebelled and actively sabotaged it. Now they're just looking back and consolidating it around that core.

Tabletop gaming has long been considered a "graying" hobby - meaning the bulk of players are getting older, with fewer new players coming in than older players going out.

Maybe the core fan base /is/ the problem? Maybe it's not just the game that's hard for new players to get into or even grasp, but the grouchy, elitist grognards they have to contend with to even try it, that are driving them away?

But, as a counterpoint to my own theory, I have to admit that in the context of the public venue where I've been gaming for 4 or 5 years now (since the Dark Sun season of Encounters, whenever that was), the hobby is not that grey. The players have been mostly new, mostly college-age or 30s - with a few kids, and a few closer to my own age. So, at the small scale, D&D /can/ be adopted by new players. But, the broader phenomenons - the playtest restults dragging us back to old-school and 3e styles, Pathfinder rising to prominence by being 'more like D&D than D&D,' and so forth - seem to point to the broader hobby being older, more serious, and unwelcoming or unappealing to newer or younger (or more casual) players.

It just seems that there are too many factors at work against a true D&D revival, that the best we can hope for is a small bubble with 5E and then a strengthened and stabilized core community, with just enough new players to make up for attrition. Maybe that is all that WotC really expects?
They probably don't have the resources, after the failure to push D&D to 'core brand' $100mil/yr status via DDI/VTT and trying to put the OGL genie back in the bottle. They took years to develop a re-iteration of the core game, and look to be outsourcing everything else. They may try to spin that positively, but I think the bottom line is that Hasbro (and WotC for that matter) no longer sees the D&D franchise as something worth investing significantly in.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Future of D&D

Thank you, Mercurius and Thunderfoot, for the insightful analysis and prognosis of the game's future.

As one of those graying, not-quite-digital-immigrant Boomers (and, boy, do I fit that definition!), I find myself in an even smaller subset as a collector of miniatures put out for the D&D and Pathfinder versions of the game. Why I keep buying them and other RPG items must be evidence of some level of an OCD.

Being old enough to be critically aware of my own mortality (although delusional to the point of being frequently in denial of that grim truth) and without offspring of my own, I envision the day when my nephews and nieces will look at all of the RPG materials I've acquired over the years with the same jaundiced eye with which I've viewed the antique toys of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Since I won't have much else to leave them, maybe one of their descendants will one day make a tidy sum on a far-future episode of Antiques Road-Show.

My Plan B, achieving apotheosis to become the God of Nerd-dom, doesn't seem to be proceeding very well either.

Thanks again!

Rydac

Explorer
Like Tony Vargas experience above....I too run the encounters program at a game/comics store. I've run every season, we've been running 4 full tables for the last several years, and the crowd is quite young...heavily college age, plus high school as well as fathers bringing in their 9 to 12 year olds this summer to play after hearing about the new edition. For the most part these fathers are coming along at the behest of the kids who've heard of D&D and aren't just lapsed players (1 is the other 2 are new).

Most all of the young crowd came in as brand new players, and have become loyal new fans who happily embraced the new rules set. Mike Mearls in one of their recent podcasts mentioned that their info showed more younger players, and that the "greying" of rpgs was not the reality....mine own experience the last 4 years agrees completely, so I don't think we are in a high walled rpg ghetto. There is room for expansion, and with yesterday's event of the PHB hitting #1 in the overall books category on Amazon people are certainly giving it a look.

Kabluey

Explorer
So in reading this I found myself questioning the basic assumption that D&D is a "graying" hobby. A few years ago I would have accepted this without question, but now I find myself with a group where we have an equal number aged 40+ as 25 or less (oddly, no one in their 30's). And I'm in a second smaller group where there are more younger people than older. Obviously this is only my group, and I really don't have much contact with the gaming community beyond my group and these and other forums, so I'm not trying to say my group is typical. But it does make me wonder if we have any evidence beyond anecdotal that the hobby really is dying.

Dausuul

Legend
I don't regard the prevalence of MMOs as a sign that there is a groundswell of potential D&D players waiting to burst forth. Indeed, I see it as the exact opposite: Back in the day, before MMOs, there were a lot of people who just wanted to hack up monsters. They played D&D because it was the best option available at the time. Then MMOs came along and made it possible to hack up monsters on demand, with superior visuals, without having to assemble a gaming group or do a bunch of math or deal with a potentially-sucky DM. The monster-hackers migrated to MMOs, and they're not coming back, because MMOs are what they always wanted to play--D&D was just a substitute.

That's what both we and WotC really ought to keep in mind. Without (I hope!) getting into edition wars, I think it's fair to say that one of the chief goals of 4E was to drastically overhaul the monster-hacking aspect of the game, to add a lot of tactical depth to combats which in the old days often devolved into whacking off chunks of hit points till somebody ran out. And it succeeded quite well at that. But it didn't bring the MMO players home. MMOs still do monster-hacking better than D&D ever can or will.

The question then is, if the monster-hackers are gone, is there any other set of people who might be drawn into the hobby? And I think the answer to that is yes. The great weakness of MMOs is that they offer very limited scope for creativity--and the great strength of tabletop is that it offers immense scope for creativity. D&D has always had great appeal to creative people, and that side of the hobby is still going strong. So D&D should be aiming to build on that strength. I see some encouraging signs that 5E is aiming in that direction.

Basically, instead of thinking about how to build a game for MMO players, think about how to build a game for fanfic writers. (Yes, this means we're going to see a lot more of Drizzt. Sorry. Better get used to it. ;) )

Tabletop gaming has long been considered a "graying" hobby - meaning the bulk of players are getting older, with fewer new players coming in than older players going out.
I think the hobby is maintaining - I saw people of all ages at GenCon - but the market for RPGs is greying. People get older and stop buying books.

If you're WotC you're constantly thinking about how to change that, how to bring in a new generation en masse. What worked in the past - at least in the 80s - was selling box sets in chain book and toy stores like Toys R Us and Waldenbooks.
Big box stores are likely a good place.

Cheap PDFs that are available online would also be good, especially if they came as an in-app purchase. Download the free D&D Basic app and download the books you want.

What will work now is anybody's guess, but it seems that WotC believes it will be a diversified approach, perhaps with movies and other forms of media bringing greater public awareness to the game.

So I agree, Thunderfoot, that WotC should try to convince Hasbro that this needs to happen, although as you say, it will be Walmart, Target, etc - along with perhaps a more aggressive approach at Barnes and Noble. But I only think that will work if there is some other way to put it in the minds of young people, and for that a well produced movie or TV series is probably called for.
Winning in theatres is doing nothing for Marvel comics. Movie tie-in comics tend to do well, but that's equally related to putting talent on those books at the same time, and making the characters visible, selling to existing fans. The movies generate almost no new comic fans.

A hit movie *might* be nice, but it's not going to save the industry.

Part of the problem is that the type of kid that would be interested in D&D is either into video gaming and/or into reading. So it makes sense to sell in book stores, but in video game stores? I think, perhaps, the diehard video gamers are a bit of a lost cause - it is just too different, too comparatively easy and passive an activity.
Video game stores are also suffering. Blame Steam and GOG.

The best way to get kids into RPGs is the same way the majority of people were introduced: uncles.
Seriously. Family members and friends are the best way of getting people into gaming. It doesn't matter if the books are big and visible in Box Stores because kids are going to spend their hard earned money on stuff they know they like rather than take a risk on an unknown game. But if it's gifted to them that's a different story.
Getting people to think about "giving the gift of D&D" and targeting adults in a kid's life is the best way. Make parents remember the fun times they had with D&D when they were a kid. Or grandparents. Target the parents. Emphasise it as a family activity, something you can do with your kids as part of a family game night. A game that encourages read, and imagination, and math.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Like Tony Vargas experience above....I too run the encounters program at a game/comics store. I've run every season, we've been running 4 full tables for the last several years, and the crowd is quite young...heavily college age, plus high school as well as fathers bringing in their 9 to 12 year olds this summer to play after hearing about the new edition. ...

Most all of the young crowd came in as brand new players, and have become loyal new fans who happily embraced the new rules set.
So, have you guys been running Encounters with the playtest rules? Or are we talking embracing the chargen session last week?

We've had 3-5 tables going over the last 4 years, and it's currently at 5, three of them 5e, which is decidedly encouraging after the difficulty I had getting even one playtest table together in prior seasons.

Mike Mearls in one of their recent podcasts mentioned that their info showed more younger players, and that the "greying" of rpgs was not the reality....mine own experience the last 4 years agrees completely, so I don't think we are in a high walled rpg ghetto.
I wonder when that trend started. Your 4 years would be going back to 2010, and Essentials? Or a little before? Maybe the Encounters program /was/ successful at bringing in new players more broadly than I'd been led to believe, and could continue to do so...

I think the hobby still suffers from a major image problem. I definitely agree that many gamers live in a gaming ghetto and essentially don't realize how 'weird' they still are. There are enough of us that we don't feel alone anymore, but we are still helplessly outnumbered by the candy crush / CSI Miami crowd. And, frankly, most of them don't want anything to do with us.

Remove ads