D&D General Most D&D Fiction That Isn't D&D Fiction

Reynard

Legend
Robert E. Feist's Midkemia books. In some of the fight scenes you can almost hear the dice rolling. There's another scene where a named character splits off, and a not-NPC suddenly steps forward and gets a name.
Yeah. the early ones at least are explicitly based on their campaign from the early 80s.

Reynard

Legend
Robert E. Feist's Midkemia books. In some of the fight scenes you can almost hear the dice rolling. There's another scene where a named character splits off, and a not-NPC suddenly steps forward and gets a name.
Also: it's Raymond E Feist. I think Serpent War Saga is my favorite cycle in those books.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Elizabeth Moon's excellent The Deed of Paksennarion (first published 1988)

Yep. This is a good one.

I can add Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward. It is the story of what happens in a D&D world, based on the struggle between Good and Evil... and Good wins...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I can add Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward. It is the story of what happens in a D&D world, based on the struggle between Good and Evil... and Good wins...
I remember a friend of mine asking me if that was actually set in a published campaign setting, since it was so evocative of D&D.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The Ethshar books by Lawrence Watt-Evans. Magic is a respectable profession, like being a carter or mason. Mages takes apprentices who only know a handful of very low-power spells to start out with. There are a dozen or more different magic systems.

The Barrow and it's sequels by Mark Smylie. (Same guy who does the Artesia graphic novels, and set in that same world). The prologue is the 'idol in the lizardman temple scene' from the AD&D PHB cover.

The Deed of Paksenarion by Elizabeth Moon. They have clerics and paladins, etc etc.

The War God series by David Weber - starts with Oath of Swords. World with humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, and hradani - which are kind of like beefed-up half-orcs. Our hradani hero becomes a paladin of the war god, something no hradani has ever done. Very, very cool descriptions of interactions between deities and their agents on Earth.

Throne of the Crescent Moon - Ahmed, Saladin. - Very much that 'd&d-party' flavor

The Malazan series - Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont

Remove ads