D&D 4E Mouseferatu weighs in on 4e

Wormwood

Adventurer
DaveMage said:
The only question I have is does a combat encounter take longer or shorter in 4E, or is it about the same as 3E?
Good question.

I *really* want my 3e combats to run significantly faster---but I'm willing to allow for long 4e combats provided that they are as interesting and fun to play as I've been led to believe.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Derren said:
Sorry if that sounds offensive, it is not intended this way (but I seem to attract flamewars whenever I talk about 4e).

I am a bit disappointed about this information because it basically just repeats what the designers said. "Combat is simple, combat is cool". I know that by now.
If anything, it just further increases my fear that 4E will focus only on combat and remove any non combat information about monsters. And judging from the Pit Fiend discussions I am not alone with this fear.
Sadly this blog entry seems to further confirm that in 4E monsters will only be XP containers with combat stats. If you want them to use to something besides combat it requires houseruling (=preparation).

I just hope that Combats in the real game are really exiting, because the 4E Pit Fiend doesn't look exiting at all (one trick pony. Protect yourself against fire and this guy is harmless. And just 3 possible actions? It will get boring very fast as the players will always know what to expect).

The game is what you make it really. Just because they have streamlined combat, monster stats and magic items does not mean you are not allowed role play or have more complex interactions with the monsters.

That kind of thing (i.e playstyle) is up to the DM to set. From the fluff we are getting from WOTC I think that the default setting (POL) has many interesting stories, creatures from the MM are included in that. So I would warrant a guess that there is fluff/stories/personality enough in the MM to create very vivid stories.

And if your high level PCs happen to come into conflict with one of the monsters and decide that violence is required your game wont grind to a halt.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I'm actually more interested in hearing about which WotC/TSR settings won't work as well, or will require extensive modification, for 4e. I already suspect they've had to overhaul a ton of things for the Realms, as Rich Baker's blogs have been suggesting. Is 4e simply not a good fit for some worlds? Is it better for some than others?

Cheers,
Cam

Stormtalon

First Post
Wormwood said:
Good question.

I *really* want my 3e combats to run significantly faster---but I'm willing to allow for long 4e combats provided that they are as interesting and fun to play as I've been led to believe.

I'm really hoping they can keep their briefly-mentioned semi-promise of "longer in rounds, shorter in realtime" combat. That would be the best of both worlds.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Wormwood said:
Snark aside, something along those lines that would definitely be interesting to me.

Although I started off that comment to be snarky (of course), in retrospect it is a pretty darn cool image. :D

Maybe Orcus has skull grenades hanging from his loincloth that he can hurl at people to similar effect.

Hmmm. :]

Zinovia

Explorer
I agree about combat taking less real time, while hopefully allowing more interesting choices for all the characters. I know our poor bard is bored with every combat, but she loves making the rest of us watch while she wants to RP every encounter with every shopkeeper. Not that I don't like roleplaying - I just get bored watching her do it endlessly without getting to participate. Need to send a note to my hubby (the DM) next time that happens. In any case, I'd like to see some epic memorable combats to go along with the interesting RP parts of our campaign.

If we can have an exciting combat in a more reasonable period of time, that would be a huge improvement. Several of our players are still very slow in combat, so it takes *forever*.

Rpgraccoon

First Post
I am scared for my Half-Elves. Is there anything you can say about them. I just don't know what you can but anythings better than nothing. I do trust your word I loved your work. :)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Oh rodent of the dark, I beseech thee!

Over in the Pit Fiend thread, the questions came up "how does the Pit Fiend's +31 attack bonus break down?" I wouldn't expect you to answer fully (though feel free) but I was wondering if the +31 breaks down fully according to formulas (ie: BAB+STR+Soldier BAB bonus+something else, etc) or if it is a more vaguely stated "+31 is about right for this monster"?

Remove ads