D&D 4E Mouseferatu weighs in on 4e

Sitara

Explorer
Cam Banks said:
I'm actually more interested in hearing about which WotC/TSR settings won't work as well, or will require extensive modification, for 4e. I already suspect they've had to overhaul a ton of things for the Realms, as Rich Baker's blogs have been suggesting. Is 4e simply not a good fit for some worlds? Is it better for some than others?

Cheers,
Cam

I'm sure you are primarily concenred about dragonlance, and IMO the answer is obvious. Dragonlance was one of the settings that was more tied to dnd mechanics than perhaps any other. The orginal chroncles books actually had raistlin stating he needed to 'memorize spells' and that when he cast them he would 'forget' them and have to re-memorize them.

When you factor in sorcerors, which were brought in to tie to dnd3E sorcerors, and many other things i am pretty sure dragonlance with need a MASSIVE overhaul, retcon or (I really hope so) a complete and total REBOOT back to the war of the lance period. IMO a reboot would really give me hope and bring me back.

OTOH some 4e elements will fit dragonlance quite well, elves for instance: Wood Elves = Silvanesti/Kagonesti; Eladrin = Qualinessti etc. But the future looksgood for DL; its mentioned in the Worlds and Monsters book, and the setting has been brought back home to WOTC.

Jack99

Adventurer
DaveMage said:
The only question I have is does a combat encounter take longer or shorter in 4E, or is it about the same as 3E?

Thanks.

Will add myself the the rapidly growing list of people that would love to hear more about this, if at all possible.

Oh, and if you give 4th edition a 8,5-9.0 on a scale to 1-10, I would be curious to know if there is a gaming system out there, that you would rate higher, or similar. And how much would you give 3.5?

Cheers,

Doug McCrae

Legend
Wolfspider said:
Mechanics have never been something that has excited me before. I'm more interested in playing a character with a rich personality and background and exciting goals and role-playing opportunities.

Why should I now get hot and bothered about the mechanics of a character?
Why are you here, talking about roleplaying games at all then? For you, system doesn't matter. You could have as good a game of Lords of Creation or Powers & Perils as you could D&D 3e or 4e. And if that's the case you don't care about specific roleplaying games, you don't care about new editions, they're irrelevant.

Gundark

Explorer
Thanks for the info and answering people's questions.

I also would like to know about the speed of combat.

4e is suppost to be faster to prep for, obviously without saying too much what is your thoughts on that?

A related question, it may be that I'll have to convert my favourite 3rd party setting to 4e. How easy have you found it to develop for?

Kesh

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I've always been a huge fan of gnolls. I like to think of 4E as the edition that finally caught up with me in realizing how cool they are. ;)

Woohoo!

… no, I'm not biased. Why do you ask? ;)

Wow. This thread sort of exploded overnight, didn't it? :eek:

Guys, I'd love to address your mechanical questions. I really would. I'm just not allowed to.

I'll try to answer some of the more general questions, as best I can without delving into mechanics.

Combat Length:

So far, I've mostly experienced two types of combat in this campaign.

Type 1: The players get lucky, and/or the DM misjudged something, and it's over in two rounds. (This doesn't happen often, especially as we get to know the rules better, but it still occurs on occasion. We opened one fight two weeks ago with the party rolling three or four crits in the first round alone.)

Type 2: The combat is long-running, but also takes many rounds to conclude.

What I have not see much of (with one exception, detailed below) is the "combat takes forever in real time but only actually lasted 3 rounds of game time" scenario.

(That one exception is the fact that a few of my players are of the "casual" variety, and still haven't learned their characters' powers. So there's still some "book-flipping" slow down. But so far, that's been the exception rather than the rule.)

I can't say that the experience will work like this for everyone, or all the time, or in every group. But it's mostly been the case for us so far.

Here, let's put it this way. In 3E combat, because it took so long but often only took a few rounds, I was always bound and determined to do something vital in every round. Yet one of the reasons I'm enjoying 4E combat is because, when I choose to, I can afford to take a round or two to really position myself for a solid strike to come--and it doesn't feel like "wasted rounds" to me.

Levels:

So far, most of my actual playtesting experience is with the heroic tier. We decided to start at 1 and just go for as long as we were enjoying the campaign.

Mechanics and prior editions:

Here's where we get into pure matter of opinion. I believe there are three possible ways to handle "secondary" rules in an RPG.

1) Don't provide them at all, and let the DM handwave everything. Basic D&D did this to some extent.

2) Try to include specific rules for everything under the sun. 3E tried to do this. Some people like the result, but others--myself included--felt that the result was a cumbersome clutter that kept getting heavier as time goes by.

3) Include a solid core, with a baseline system easily extrapolated to fit situations that aren't spelled out. This is my preferred option.

So far--and I stress so far, I'm not making any promises--4E seems to have managed option number 3. I have a hard time thinking of any actions or skills that couldn't be pretty easily extrapolated from the existing mechanics.

In our very first 4E combat--a bar brawl, of course ;)--two thugs stood atop a table and menaced another PC. I decided to run across the room, slide under the table, and kick it over; since they were both standing on the far end, I figured it was a viable tactic, leverage-wise. The DM took all of 2 seconds to decide how the rules would best accommodate that, and we went on.

Noncombat Abilities:

See above, with the extrapolating. It may not satisfy everyone, but I haven't felt their loss one iota, and I'm one of the bigger role-players of my group.

(In fact, I have a theory that including non-combat skills like "craft" and "profession" in the game actually discourages role-playing, but it's both personal opinion and not 4E-specific, so this thread isn't the place for it.)

Previews:

I'd say that the previews you've seen are accurate as far as they go, but even the seemingly detailed ones are incomplete and out of context.

Interesting Combat:

It has not been my experience that having monsters with fewer abilities has led to less interesting combats. The combats themselves are both more fluid and easier for the DM to run, leading him to make more interesting use of what abilities they do have. More to the point (for those asking about the pit fiend), remember that he's not meant to be a solo encounter. So even if he individually has fewer abilities to throw at the party, the DM's "team" as a whole is going to have as many, if not more, as they had in 3E.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Thanks, Ari! I have been a 4e fanboy from the moment I started hearing about it, but this helps me feel even better about being on board.

And kudos to WotC for letting you air your opinion. I trust the designers, but having such a positive 3rd party opinion is really good PR for WotC.

Last edited:

Remove ads