D&D 5E Move over Fireball and Spirit Guardians, there is a new best 3rd level spell sheriff in town!

jgsugden

Legend
While a fine, 'around town' spell, it is not really a great dungeon delving spell. There is little this spell can do that a hired man at arms cannot. Yes, you know it will be loyal and it is generally expendable, but it really is akin to a simple guard. There is subterfuge you can do with it (give a doll as a present and then have the doll rob the target), but that is a spell to use in town. It just won't hold up to the rigors of an adventure in a dungeon.

I sat down with my wizard PC and rebuilt him assuming I had Xanathar's the entire time I played him. There were very few spells in Xanathar's that made it into his spellbook, and even fewer that he actually prepared. Most of those were in Elemental Evil and have been around a long time. This and Enemies Abound made the cut at 3rd level (it was an enchanter), but only to get in the spellbook... Not to be prepared on a regular basis.

flametitan

Explorer
Really, the crazy thing about the spell is how well it scales. It starts at one tiny servant, but you get an additional two per level. Simply by upcasting it a single level you've tripled the power of this spell.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Really, the crazy thing about the spell is how well it scales. It starts at one tiny servant, but you get an additional two per level. Simply by upcasting it a single level you've tripled the power of this spell.

It's a pretty bold design choice I have to say.

Harzel

Adventurer
No worries my friend, the brilliance of the spell has dazzled us all and makes it hard to see.

For example, I didn't even consider the application suggested by @Treantmonklvl20 , (optimizer spectacular), to use the second level spell dragon breath with it. Yes, your cute tiny servant lantern can belch fire at the foes!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Lanterns have mouths?

In any case, thank you for adding two more items to the list of things that validate my decision to ban all XGtE content from my table. May it forever stand as a monument to egregiously careless design.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6857506]Harzel[/MENTION] iwould like to know your other reasons to ban XGtE on your table , please post them if you do not mind.

flametitan

Explorer
[MENTION=6857506]Harzel[/MENTION] iwould like to know your other reasons to ban XGtE on your table , please post them if you do not mind.

Not who you asked, but I have one world where I don't plan on using Xanathar's Guide, but that's because I was plotting out the worldbuilding well before XGtE came out, and it was written assuming Xanathar's content doesn't exist. So rather than selectively deciding what content fits and what doesn't, it's easier to say "This book doesn't exist in this world, but it will in another world."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Not who you asked, but I have one world where I don't plan on using Xanathar's Guide, but that's because I was plotting out the worldbuilding well before XGtE came out, and it was written assuming Xanathar's content doesn't exist. So rather than selectively deciding what content fits and what doesn't, it's easier to say "This book doesn't exist in this world, but it will in another world."

I was going to say "but good sir/lady, how can you deny your players *and yourself* the sheer delight of having Tiny Servant in your game?

But then I thought about it. And well... you are right? How could middle earth suddenly have helicopters? Shanara with cell phones? Forgotten Realms with frozen turkey diners? You can't make fundamental changes like that. As a GM, I feel you man/woman, I feel you.

Last edited:

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Psst. Nobody mention that we of the...*ahem*...gravedigger's union have had this sort of amusement going on since the very first days of the 5e PHB. Well, mostly. Skeletons need a certain...finishing...to serve as adequate roaming end-tables. But they masquerade quite nicely as foolhardy adventurers when properly robed.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6822731]flametitan[/MENTION] kudos, that is very much considered old school style these days. It is like i do it when i prepare a new Setting,*** diversity, i take out those parts of the game that do not fit into an official campaign world or some homebrew (in the end it is always part homebrew).

In restricting things i see challenges for the players and the dm instead of limitations like younger People always seem to complain about. Guess i get to old for
this egomaniac orientated world already.

You want an adventure? You are sitting naked in a dungeon with NO starting equipment and gold. Your execution is scheduled in three hours. Try to find an item to pick the lock of your chains and the cell door if you want to escape. So now that i want this to work, that is why you are not allowed to play any teleport at will class.

Remove ads