D&D 5E Moving out of concealment to attack - when is stealth broken?

1) Does starting hidden allow you to stay hidden through your move....or is it the second you leave the darkness you lose the condition.
You cease being hidden as soon as you leave your hiding spot and become visible to a creature (in this case, when you leave the darkness).

Unless the DM rules the monster you're sneaking up on is 'looking the other way'.

2) Assuming the answer to 1 is yes....once you make an attack, does that drop the condition of hidden....or could I still get the second attack with the benefits of being hidden?

Once you make an attack from hiding you reveal yourself (hit or miss) after the attack is resolved, unless you have the Skulker feat and miss.

auburn2

Adventurer
I think you underestimate how bad most monster's perception are in the MM, a lot of creatures have a 11-13 passive perception.
Maybe, but few Rogues have a +11 at middle levels too ..... if the Rogue has a +11 and they have a 13 perception you have you have a 90% chance of success. In any case it certainly is not 100%, ever.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It should also be noted that, if you make noise, you give away your position and are no longer hidden. Better hope there's no coffee table in that area of darkness.

auburn2

Adventurer
In order to make a melee attack from Hiding, you need to be adjacent to the enemy (and hidden) when the attack is made. You dont reveal yourself until after the attack is resolved (hit or miss) unless you have the Skulker feat, and miss.

A DM can rule that you can sneak up 'behind' a creature (although creatures are assumed to be looking all around in most circumstances, obviously that assumption is not universal).

Nothing against the rules for the DM to announce 'The Ogre has his back to you and is focused on the Barbarian' enabling you to [take the Hide action] if you were not already hidden, and sneak up behind the Ogre in his blind spot, and attack from hiding.
All great points, but I would argue it is on the player to ask - describe what the Ogre is doing right now, describe the ground and lighting between me and the Ogre - can I sneak around in the shadows to the left side while he is focusing on the Barbarian to the right.

If the player does that kind of thing, and the opportunity is there, in my games he will usually get another stealth roll as he sneaks out if he can describe how he is doing it convincingly and it is reasonable.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
The rogue needs a melee buddy, probably a barbarian or a paladin to tank for them. Then the rogue gets sneak attack every round, which is kind of the intent.

Getting advantage is a whole different issue. That's a significant bonus and probably isn't intended to occur all the time.

Usually I find the best solution for rogues trying to cheese Advantage and Sneak Attack through suspect uses of Stealth is to allow it but include similarly capable enemies and apply the same rules to them.

auburn2

Adventurer
The rogue needs a melee buddy, probably a barbarian or a paladin to tank for them. Then the rogue gets sneak attack every round, which is kind of the intent.
Not every round. Disadvantage kills SA outright. All the enemy near the Barbarian/Paladin has to do is dodge, that may or may not be a good choice but it will eliminate SA.

Depending on the initiative order the enemy can also use things like shove, movement or a ready action to kill SA. Again those may or may not be a good decision depending on the specifics.

All great points, but I would argue it is on the player to ask - describe what the Ogre is doing right now, describe the ground and lighting between me and the Ogre - can I sneak around in the shadows to the left side while he is focusing on the Barbarian to the right.
Yeah that's how its basically supposed to work.

Player (Rogue 2) 'Hey DM I want to try and sneak up behind the Ogre while he's distracted fighting Bob and shiv him in the back.'
DM: (pauses to consider it) 'Yeah OK, you dont have anything to hide behind, but I agree - the Ogre is looking the other way at present. You can attempt a Stealth check via the Hide action as a Bonus action via your cunning action ability, at Disadvantage.
Player: (Rolls and succeeds) Ace! I'll now move 20' up behind the Ogre and attack!

Generally in most cases, you need something to Hide 'in' (invisibility, darkness, near total cover etc). Howver there is nothing stopping a DM from ruling a creature is looking the other way and you can also sneak up behind them.

Remove ads