• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiple off-hand attacks?

Gunslinger

First Post
Lets say you have a 10th level fighter with TWF and improved TWF using 2 shortswords. When he fulls attacks (not factoring strength, magic weapons, or feats in), does he hit at:

good hand: +8/+3

off hand: +8/+3

or something else?

root

First Post
Correct me if I am wrong here, but wouldn't that character suffer the following penalties:

Primary:
+10/+5
TWF: -4
Light Weapon +2
Total Penalty: -2
+8/+3

Secondary:
+10/+5
TWF: -4
Light Weapon: +2
ITWF: -5 for additional attack
Total Penalty: -2/-7
+8/-2

Or am I reading the TWF and ITWF feats incorrectly?

Edited due to my incorrect starting BAB.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Secondary:
+10/+5
ITWF: -5 for additional attack

That's where you're getting it wrong.

Attacking with two weapons gives you an additional attack at your full BAB : +10 (with penalties).

ITWF gives you an extra off-hand attack with a -5 penalty.

That's a -5 penalty from +10, not a -5 penalty from +5.

-Hyp.

root

First Post
Thanks for the clarification Hypersmurf, I was under the assumption that the extra attacks would follow the same BAB as the primary hand since they did not state that they were extra attacks made at your full BAB.

Gensam

First Post
So the fighter's final attacks would be at:

+10/+8/+5/+5

His normal ones don't get any penalties, right? or do they start with the -2? Which would be (with the -2)

+8/+8/+5/+3

The book does say that he gets -2 for each attack, so the first one can't be correct, forget I even posted it, but would the -5 include the original -2? No, probably not, so it'll end up:

+8/+8/+5/+5, or, +8/+5 Mainhand, +8/+5 offhand.

That means that with the third feat, it'll be his BAB as normal for the lower ones, but his first will be at -2, and he'll get a bonus one off his main BAB at -2, -5, and -10.

Guess 3.5 didn't make this as clear as it was before. Oh well.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
But would the -5 include the original -2? No, probably not, so it'll end up:

+8/+8/+5/+5, or, +8/+5 Mainhand, +8/+5 offhand.

The -2 penalty is applied to all attacks.

Your main iterative BAB is +10/+5. For attacking with two weapons, you get an off-hand attack at +10. ITWF gives you a second off-hand attack with a -5 penalty, for a total of +5.

So you've got two primary attacks: +10/+5; and two off-hand attacks: +10/+5.

But then you apply the blanket TWF penalties. With the feat and using a light off-hand weapon, that's -2 to primary and -2 to offhand.

So you end up with +8/+3 and +8/+3.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads