D&D 5E Murder In Baldur's Gate/Sundering adventures with 5E

Ace-Azzameen

First Post
Hi there, I'm somewhat new. I've played the AL adventures to DEATH with multiple characters and was hoping for something new. Now, I know that MIBG, the Icewind Dale one, etc were written with 3.5/4th/Next playtest in mind, including stats for all 3 versions. Now I've never played the D&D Next playtest, so my question is, Would I be able to run these as 5th edition, or are the Next playtest rules vastly different that what they currently are? Would I be better off replacing the monster stats in these adventures with their counterparts in the MM?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The major thing to watch for is that the monster stats in the playtest were underpowered compared to the final stats in 5E.

I haven't checked to see how much would need to be rewritten in MiBG; shouldn't be that much.

Cheers!

casterblaster

First Post
Murder in Baldurs Gate was fairly combat light so it wouldn't be hard to update. However there are a few unique enemies that will need updating. MiBG has a ton of role playing opportunities and the setting book brings the city to life! Legacy of the Crystal Shard had more combat and the role playing side was present as well. I suggest with either of these adventures if you DM them to give yourself some time to get familiar with the setting books that are included it pays off cause it really breaths life into the locations. But to answer your question these two adventures should be super easy to update to 5e. Also check out the Scourge of the Sword Coast adventure it's pretty good as well.

Unwise

Adventurer
Murder in BG felt more like an info dump than an adventure to me. There was one quick encounter and a whole lot of info about the local lords with nothing much telling you what to do with that info. It seems to assume that PCs are getting involved in the political rivalries, which my players tend to avoid like the plague.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Murder in BG felt more like an info dump than an adventure to me. There was one quick encounter and a whole lot of info about the local lords with nothing much telling you what to do with that info. It seems to assume that PCs are getting involved in the political rivalries, which my players tend to avoid like the plague.

It's certainly not an adventure for everyone. Personally, I think it's a great adventure, but it's one that you sculpt as a group rather than being prescriptive about what happens with it.

Unfortunately, I only managed to write a few session reports for it - life got entirely too busy when I was running it!

What I did do was flesh out a number of the episodes that otherwise were scarce of events the PCs interacted with by running short dungeon-delves as well, while setting up another plot of intrigue beneath the streets.

Cheers!

Tony Vargas

Legend
Both MiBG and LotCS were pretty awful in the context of Encounters, especially if you ran them with the Playtest rules, which were all over the map.

MiBG, in particular, though, makes a good sourcebook for Baldur's Gate, if you want your players to explore that town.

I would not use the Next stats in 5e, use whatever stats you can find in 5e that are closest. Definitely use the 5e spells rather than their Next counterparts.

Remove ads