My COVID19 Journey

dave2008

Legend
My wife is a practicing veterinarian, and has to field this question a lot, so I feel a need to correct this. Your dog or cat is not much like a doorknob. To quote the American Veterinary Medical Association (bold mine):

"At this time, there is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can spread to people from the skin or fur of companion animals. (ref: CDC)

Infectious disease experts and multiple international and domestic human and animal health organizations agree there is no evidence at this point to indicate that pets become ill with COVID-19 or that they spread it to other animals, including people. (ref: AVMA)

Out of an abundance of caution, it is recommended that those ill with COVID-19 limit contact with animals until more information is known about the virus. Have another member of your household take care of walking, feeding, and playing with your pet. If you have a service animal or you must care for your pet, then wear a facemask; don’t share food, kiss, or hug them; and wash your hands before and after any contact with them. (ref: AVMA)_"

Transmission primarily occurs person-to-person when there is contact with an infected person’s bodily secretions, such as saliva or mucus droplets in a cough or sneeze. Transmission via touching a contaminated surface or object (also called a fomite) and then touching the mouth, nose, or eyes is also possible, but appears to be a secondary route. Smooth (non-porous) surfaces (countertops, door knobs) transmit viruses better than porous materials (paper money, pet fur) because porous and fibrous materials absorb and trap the virus, making it harder to contract through simple touch.

My wife reports that, at present, there is an issue of people, fearing such transmission, are over-cleaning their pets, and using products to sterilize their pets that are not appropriate to use on a living being. Do not shampoo your dog with hand sanitizer. Do not spray your cat down with Lysol.
Thank you for the clarification! I was worried that I might be spreading some false info (I head it from my partner), but I thought it better to be safe than sorry.

Longspeak

Adventurer
I am from Seattle, and still in Seattle, working in Chinatown, actually. Me, my wife, and my son are all in essential services, we we continue to work, continue to carpool. Chinatown has become a wasteland. The few people out and about all wear masks, businesses are shut down. Even most of the restaurants - which are allowed to operate with carry-out orders - have shut. Many haven't even bothered to put up noticed; they just locked up one day and haven't been back. One local place has begun prepping food to deliver to seniors and other at-risk people in the area.

As for me, I'm an old-time gamer - though probably on the young side compared to some of the grogs I've seen here. :p 5th ed pulled be back to D&D, but I've been non-stop gaming since 1979. The last 20+ years have been mostly online, a move originally forced when I stayed home weekends with the kids while my wife worked a swing & weekend shift at the hospital, and stuck with because I like it.

I like games that let me get more narrative, let players participate in the narrative. Any game can do it, but some are designed around supporting that, and some aren't. But... I also like getting to game, so I've been running D&D for a year on roll20, because that's where all the players are. :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
1) Funny that you've been playing for 34 years. I first tried D&D in 1986
2) Four months ago I played Shadowrun for the first time. But while the basic game mechanic is simple, I have found the rules to be a confusing mess. It made me appreciate the simplicity of 5E.
3) I have never played online period. But now that all my RPG games are in stasis, there was some talk about switching to online play.
1) Yes! 1986! I met up with the host of a BBS (300 baud dial-up modems!) and he ran me through the first bit of Tomb of Horrors in 1e (though I only learned that it was ToH more recently - throughout 2e and 3.x, I only played homebrew settings. I never played the classics (or any pre-written modules) until 4e. I had so many flashbacks when I first played ToH. "Hey! I played this 20-whatever years ago in my first time playing!"

2) It's a very fun setting, but yes, I've played a few editions and all of them don't interest me from a mechanical standpoint. Fun to play, though.

3) We're all gonna have to learn some new tricks so we can keep playing!

Fingers crossed!

Thanks! Yes, I seem to be on the mend. Just a little fatigue. Even my cough is tolerable!

1) "At this time, there is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can spread to people from the skin or fur of companion animals." (ref: CDC)
2) Perhaps, but testing all people who have any upper-respiratory symptoms is not feasible at this time. If wishes were fishes, and all that.
3) My wife has symptoms
4) Actually, my week of quarantine ends today.

1) Thanks. This is what I understood, but still, Dave had me worried for a minute. (Don't worry about it, Dave! You're just trying to help.)

2) Yeah. It'd be really helpful to have tests for everyone, but that's one of the things about a Pandemic - the medical system gets overloaded. We all gotta do our part, including knowing when to stay out of the way.

3) I hope she'll be okay!

4) I'm sure that feels good. I look forward to getting back to work (3 days to go). Even with the store closed to the public, there's a lot I can do that I have been missing. It's been tough leaving it up to my employees to manage during a full-on crisis. They've done well, but there is a lot more I would have done if I'd been there. But I had to look to my health, and keep people safe from me.

1) I am from Seattle, and still in Seattle, working in Chinatown, actually. Chinatown has become a wasteland.
2) I've been non-stop gaming since 1979. The last 20+ years have been mostly online.
3) I like games that let me get more narrative, let players participate in the narrative.

1) I can imagine. I've had good food there. Someday, I will again!

2) Interesting. I expect I may have done more online gaming if it weren't for the vast resource of available gamers I've had in my customers. Everyone I game with (and nearly all of my friends) started out as customers of my store. Some of them when they were just kids! (I still think of some of them as kids, even though they may be pushing 40. I was 19 when I started the store, and some of my friends were customers aged 10 or 12. So back then I was "grown" and they were "kids" and now we're nearly the same age!)

3) I'm a storyteller at heart. Everything I enjoy (comics, games, tv shows, etc) I do for the sake of the story. D&D might not be the best RPG for a storyteller, really, but it's the one I started with and remains my favourite.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Stuff for fun, wish it was real:
  • Chuck Norris' tears can cure cancer coronavirus. But he has never cried.
  • Michael Avanatti (famous sleazy lawyer) is in jail and the jail has coronavirus. He doesn't have it. The virus came in contact with him and IT got sick and died. (editorial comment: I am not recommending becoming a sleazy lawyer as a way to resist coronavirus.)
  • Chuck Norris went to the hospital one morning and saw a coronavirus patient. He cast a steely glare at the sick man. The viruses fled immediately; they knew what was coming. The patient went home that evening, in perfect health.

Fitz, you gotta do it the hard way (no superheroes - drat). We're still cheering for your good news. It sounds like you might have turned the tide.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Curious what exactly it is about pet fur that prevents it from living on it but not plastic or cardboard?

As far as I can tell, the virus is pretty weak against texture on a microscopic level. Things that are porous or textured (like hair, fabric, etc) it can't live on long, (or it might be that it's so small it gets lost in the pores or tucked under the texture). Whereas, things like metal and especially plastic, it can live on for a long time. I'm not sure why that would make it last on cardboard. I guess cardboard might be porous, but it's pretty flat? I dunno.

There's some question as to whether it "living" on the surface of something for a long time means that it's dangerous there. They assume it is, but they haven't had much proof of it. Or so I gather.

Remove ads