• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) My current assessment…

codo

Hero
If you think your rogue has been buffed, you haven’t paid enough attention to the changes to hide and invisibility, the loss of the ability to take expertise in thieves’ tools, or clued into what this will mean to long term to evolving play. Two weapon fighting has received a minor, healthy, buff, though… that is true.
What exactly is the nerf with hiding and invisibility? The set D.C. 15 to hide? Worse against random mooks but better against perceptive leaders and bosses. The set D.C. to hide also means that most other characters that aren't specialized in stealth are going to have a much harder time hiding, so even against basic mooks rogues are still much better at hiding.

It now looks like picking locks is done with a sleight of hand check now, not a thieves tools check. So this is actually a buff. With one use of your expertise you can use it with both lock picking and sleight of hand checks. If you also have proficiency in thieves tools you have auto advantage.

The changes to two weapon fighting is more than a minor buff. It is basically once per turn you can hide, disengage, or dash for free.
Rogues also now get auto advantage at 13th level now. Two weapon fighting with advantage is near automatic sneak attack damage.

The loss of off turn sneak attack is a nerf, but I think it is a healthy one for the game. An optimized character just should not be able to to double the damage of an unoptimized one.

I think the new playtest rogue has had highly specific optimized builds nerfed, while have the class generally buffed overall. Lower the ceiling and raise the floor. It looks like most of the major changes we have seen in the playtest have been this sort of changes, and I think it is the right direction to take the game to appeal to the majority of its costumers and to continue to expand and grow.

Remove ads