My Paladin killed a.. 2nd thread (The Verdict is IN - p4)

Quasqueton

First Post
For the record, upon entering the courtroom:

Paul Excelsior, paladin of Torm, LG.

Seeing the jury box is full, and the debate in full flow, Paul goes and takes a seat behind Vindicator. He leans forward to whisper to the defendant,

"There were better ways to handle that situation, but you did nothing wrong or against our code. If penance is sentenced upon you, I will stand with you in whatever effort judged."

OOC: You know, this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in this forum. I care nothing for reading or participating in the various In Character forums of the Internet, but this is a pretty cool thread.

Quasqueton

Khaalis

Adventurer
Herremann the Wise said:
Are you besmirching the honour of those who have spoken here who were not tardy in arriving at this legitimate and righteous counsel?
I suggest you are walking upon dangerous ground if you wish to continue the tenor of your remarks in such a way.

Please and with all honour good sir, desist from your capricious and inflammatory interjections.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Touchy are we not? Not all of us have the profligate time that others do to arrive 'on time', nor do we follow the same time schedule. Now to thine comments. Was that a veiled threat you just issued a fellow Paladin? Would that, in itself, not besmirch a Paladin's honor in that they cannot take civil criticism with humility and introspection, without resorting to shadily veiled threats? Just because I am a Paladin does not mean I am incapable of voicing a contradictory opinion, nor does it make said contradiction capricious nor inflammatory. It is intellectual discourse. If those present are too close-minded to hear others, so be it. The Doomlord has far more important tasks for me to attend.

Last edited:

Torm

Explorer
The jury stands thus:

Abraxas of Mishtan not yet
Barconius not yet
Edmund Edwinson INNOCENT
Gomez de Kollego INNOCENT
Herremann Mallaefor GUILTY
Kantos GUILTY
Loric Vilesilencer INNOCENT
Rhy Abberach GUILTY
Sandelphon INNOCENT
Titian Kerrick GUILTY
Valentine INNOCENT
Valna GUILTY

We are split 5-5 so far, and I eagerly await the decisions of Abraxas and Barconius. Should they come in tied, as well, we will defer to the decision of (OOC: rolls a D4 to pick someone signed in but not in the jury yet) Paul Excelsior, Paladin of Torm, the God of this Court.

I thank all of you for coming, especially those who made a long trip to get here.

Those arguing in the back of the court should take it outside. Thank you.

Last edited:

Westwind

First Post

My most honored and revered Lord Arioch,

I, Saul Whitestone, Paladin and Divine Champion of Tyr write this to you so as to inform you, and through you the Church, of the outcome of the trial that recently transpired in Yartar.

The facts of the matter are not in dispute by any party. The crux of the matter lies in what those facts reveal. Did this man stray in his action or was he Just and True? The charged was found innocent of any wrongdoing, although only by the most narrow of margins. What would one do if they found themselves under the jurisdiction of a Paladin of a different order? The spirit and vigor of this debate leads me to conclude that further by-laws need to be written to ensure that the proper course of action for members of the Church who find themselves in a non-Church court is clear.

It is an interesting occurance, and one Church historians would do well to take note of, to have such an august group in one place. However, I cannot help but rejoice at the fact that such a group would never determine my fate. For while we all are blessed with the title and responsibiliy of Paladin, we differ greatly from our kin, as they differ from us. I answer to Tyr's law and his representatives on Faerun. I respect and honor the righteous secular authorities of many Kingdoms, but I am not bound to them less I swear an Oath.

If I may reveal my own feelings on the matter at hand, Lord Arioch. The deceased was a vile and evil man; he took pleasure in the suffering of children. As followers of Tyr we are bound to protect those who cannot protect themselves and show mercy upon those who deserve it. From all I can gather, this man did not deserve mercy. What should we do when a murderer comes to the Church seeking sanctuary and mercy from the local authorities? You will recall my own dealings with the Church of Eldath in such a matter. For Justice to have any meaning, actions must be followed by consequences. The afterthought of regret, no matter how powerful or how sincere does not cleanse the stain of sin. Others must know that they are protected. Sinners must know what awaits them. It is not the job of the Paladin to work with sinners to show them the error of their ways. At times, we can and do just that but we are endowed with great gifts by Tyr and those gifts are meant to be used to Punish the Wicked and guard the innocent. There are those who claim the greatest evil is a Drow or one of the many princes of the Abyss. I claim it is man. For while the Drow or Demon-Prince may embody evil, they are evil by blood. Man is evil by choice and that is a far more dangerous thing.

The man in question did those very things. And while there may have been more prudent ways of achieving those same ends, it is impossible to find fault in his course.

I remain you humble servant,

S. Whitestone

Last edited:

Taren Nighteyes

First Post
Tydon Lyonvue Cleric and Paladin to Torm

*Tydon walks into the court and stands in the back. After having listened to the arguments, discussion, and evidence in this important matter, he speaks more to those around him than to those who are passing judgement at this very moment*

"While the accused acted in haste and with unnecessary force, I feel I would have done the same. No person of upstanding moral and righteous nature could restrain themselves from ridding the world of such a vile, disgusting, and evil thing. To be human, a person must have humanity and this creature that was smote down by the accused was devoid of humanity. A verdict of not guilty is the only just result of this trial. If his god desires he show more restraint in the use of force, then let his god hand down judgement and punishment. It is not for this court to decide."

*Shaking his head, Tydon whispers a prayer to Torm to aid the accused holy warrior. He then awaits for the court's decision.*

Last edited:

Abraxas

Explorer
Forgive my delay, I was called to care for one of my charges.

There are higher laws than those of man. It is a necessary duty of all our brethren to uphold these higher laws - regardless of what secular authorities might claim. Our accused brother may suffer the affront of others questioning his actions but he should not be subjected to such from those who also follow the path.

How many of us would follow every person crossing our path that, in the words of the accused, appears "shifty". We would all be led on a merry chase to and fro by the multitudes that exist in the realms if that were to happen. It was Divine Guidance that singled out this miscreant and prompted pursuit. It was Divine Guidance that brought him to the scene of perversions past and it was Divine Justice that he stopped future affronts to all that is good.

He Is Innocent.

I wish him well.

Torm

Explorer
Well, heck, I just realized I missed good Barconius's vote way back on his introductory post - Guilty. That ties it up 6-6. I never thought this would be this close.

We await your opinion, Paul Excelsior....

Quasqueton

First Post
Paul stands up, greatly surprised by this opportunity.

"On the charge of Conduct Unbecoming a Paladin, I find Vindicator Innocent."

Paul Excelsior

Edit: changed "Not Guilty" to "Innocent".

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Torm said:
Well, heck, I just realized I missed good Barconius's vote way back on his introductory post - Guilty. That ties it up 6-6. I never thought this would be this close.

My apologises as well good sir for speaking softly. But I am, as said of me, a man of deeds and not words. And I judge a man by his deeds as well as his intent. I do look forward to seeing what this august body will decide. Regardless of the outcome, I stand firm with you all and by my own decision.

drunkmoogle

First Post
Valna Vitrano said:
Vindicator, you have been found innocent of the charges brought against you, by a vote of 7-6. I too am surprised with how close the jury pool has voted. Though you may continue your paladinhood unfettered, may this event serve as a warning to you to be less swift with your blade and swifter on wit and and wiser in judgement.

Now, let me buy you a drink. You have been through much today.

Torm, you're brilliant. But will this solve the issue between Vindie and his GM? Followups, please!

Remove ads