• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Paladin killed a child molester (and now my DM wants to take away my powers!)

Agemegos

Explorer
Numion said:
What about the childs wellbeing? Do you think a public trial would do good to her? The right thing for the paladin would've been to kill the man quietly and hide the body, that the stories of what were done to the girl wouldn't haunt her in the village for the rest of her life.

On the other hand, an open, public punishment of her rapist with the approbation of the community is going to do her more good than thinking for the rest of her life that punishing him was a guilty secret. What is it going to do to her to have to lie when the missing man's relatives start investigating his disappearance? Is she going to live on forever in fear that the body will be found?

pogre

Legend
It's a shame no one is interested in this topic - so I will chime in to clear the air :p

Rule Zero. :lol:

Shouldn't this thing have a poll?

As to the argument about what if this was an orc? Please refer to Wulf Ratbane's excellent exposition on the virtues of baby orc killings - Ahhhhh, righteousness!"

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
You know the whole "Could have been an illusion/under mind control/whatever" thing reminds me of a scene from one of David Gemmel's Druss books. Coming upon a similar scene, Druss kills two men. He's asked a number of similar questions:

Questioner: But what if it was an illusion
Druss: But it wasn't.

Questioner: But what if she was a witch and they were justicars who had captured her and violating her was the only way they could take away her powers (which is true in Gemmel's books because magical power for women and sexual activity are usually mutually exclusive).
Druss: But she wasn't. And they weren't.

Questioner: What if they were just playing a kinky sex game and it just looked like rape?
Druss: But they weren't

Etc. I'm paraphrasing but you get the point. You can ask "what if" forever getting more and more farfetched but it doesn't change the facts at hand. The paladin acted upon the information he had and everything was (as it often is) as it appeared. Now, I think his action was dubious on other grounds: the level of violence he used was unnecessary and a public execution would have served the town far better than summary execution in private. I don't think it's worth revoking paladinhood over and I definitely don't think the "what if it was all an illusion?" line of questions is very productive.

takyris said:
You know, I've been thinking, and I've reconsidered. The paladin should get a visitation from his deity telling him what he could have done differently. It should go something like this:

God: So, that could have been a guy under mind control.

Paladin: Er, I hadn't thought of that.

God: Could've had accomplices that you don't know how to find now.

Paladin: Oh.

God: Could've given him a trial and then executed him to show it to everyone.

Paladin: Well, I could also have carried out his severed head and made an announcement.

God: Okay, granted, but he didn't get any opportunity to be redeemed.

Paladin: Oh. Oh, yeah.

God: And you didn't give him a fair challenge and chance to defend himself, and even though the little girl was there, you should have done that, because, remember, even flanking can sometimes bring dishonor.

Paladin: Oh, right.

God: In atonement, you must perform strenuous physical labor while meditating upon your actions and thinking of the ways in which you might improve your behavior in the future. Please assume push-up position.

Paladin: I will not fail you, my lord. (drops into push-up position)

God: Alright. Now, give me... two.

Paladin: Er, what?

God: You heard me. Two! Two good ones! Nose to the ground! Straight back!

Paladin: Um, okay. One... and... two. (finishes push-ups)

God: Good. I hope you've learned your lesson. (gates back up to heaven)

Agemegos

Explorer
Numion said:
Whats the relevance of the man being helpless? Dropping your weapon (and pants) shouldn't let you escape justice.

Of course not. But it wouldn't have, so that is beside the point. The paladin could have struck for subdual damage.

The Paladin quickly acted as a Jury and Judge…

No he did not.

He did not make sure and demonstrate in public that a due process of law was observed, and therefore he did not act as a judge.

He did not listen to and impartially consider any evidence and argument that might have been made for the defence, and therefore he did not act as a jury.

Darklone

Henry said:
No offense meant by this, Darklone, but I can understand why you don't -- that's a VERY high standard to set, and I would say impossible to live up to.

Would you say, Darklone, that a paladin in a Realms campaign that you ran could expect to turn over a molester, and see justice done? Would be he strung by the yardarm, or at least jailed?
I just hope I don't miss anything important in the next three pages of posts I didn't read yet ... ;)

As a DM, I like paladin players who don't simply try to use the gameplay advantages a paladin has. E.g. I like to push them into situations similar (usually not as bad as) this one here and check how they react. If the player reacts in a way that shows he's thinking about the typical paladin problems ... he wins. If not, I take care to counteract extensive munchkinism due to Divine Might/Spirited Charge builds... and go on.

If he reacts positively, he will usually end up as the center of the campaign. Favoritism by my side, I have to confess, but there's not that much that fascinates me more.

I do try not to set traps for him and I will certainly not screw. I see myself as a DM who offers each player his time as superman.

Sooo... in a FR campaign that I would run... weow. Long time ago I ran my last FR game. But yes, the last time a PC showed (in my terms) heroic behavior, he was awarded by a shortcut in the campaign difficulties which the group would have not achieved in any other way (e.g. one of the BBEGs was out of order for good). Of course, I introduced a new one... but one without all the connections of the old one, so the players HAD an advantage.
I don't see Paladins as 1950's versions of Superman - apprehend the evildoer and trust that the courts will always see justice through - nor are they Modern-Day policemen, whose primary responsibility is enforcing the law regardless of whether the common good is served.
Me neither. But they are supposed to try. If it doesn't work, they will work against the greater evil... e.g. setting things right in town, not only molesting small molesters.
A Paladin by PH definition is a ROVING arbiter of justice, hence the "punish evildoers" statement in the PH. a Judge is someone who metes punishment for a crime, and by saying the paladin punishes, he is by nature set up as judge.

Would this be a power we gave a modern human being? HECK, NO! Not by himself, at least. But a paladin is a different case, because he is a DIRECT representative (same as the will) of his god, just as a cleric is. He has the right and wrong of it, because he not only has the deity's teachings to fall back on, he has the deity's influence to fall back on.
Right. But that does not mean IMC that the PLAYER acts as the representative if the DM has another opinion. I had this problem in two of my own campaigns and in one where I was a player (not the paladin). Luckily in my own campaigns, I was able to solve it before it actually occured... by talking.
Now, it's one thing if a DM warns you, "this does fly directly in the face of your god's teachings," but another if the DM makes it a guessing game as to the correct action. In this case, there is a direct precedent of Paladins in the Realms acting as both judge and executioner (no need for a jury, this is god's wills we're talking about here) in difficult circumstances.
By the DMs reaction, I didn't have this feeling. I understood the DMs words as a statement that he understood his paladins different. Otherwise it doesn't really make sense to me (e.g. the player should have been awarded for slaughtering the molester). OTOH, that would be a game that's less interesting to me because human interactions are simplified to a CRPG level :D
Would it have been better for the paladin to find the circumstances first? Possibly; but it also would have been just as evil to let the courts dispense justice (which in cases of sexual assault were not as severe a crime as some seem to think, especially against a commoner), and then have the man exact retribution on a helpless target.

As I said before, depending on which god this is, the outcome would have not only been "not wrong," but celebrated. Tyr doesn't suffer fools for paladins, and he also doesn't suffer people making fun of his servants; they have a hard enough job trying to stop all the rampant evil in the realms AS IT IS.
I have to admit: One of the reasons I don't play the realms (in that way). A world like this doesn't make sense to me... And I do like to see some sense or realism in the actions of NPCs.

Agemegos

Explorer
Malar's Cow said:
I think what's more in question in this scenario is the law/chaos axis. The question of context has to be addressed. First, did the crime take place in a frontier town where there is no effective legal structure, a la American west in the 19th century? What about a land torn by civil strife where the governing legal body has either disintegrated or is powerless to enforce its own laws? Is the land governed by a morally ambivalent (neutral on the good/evil axis) or downright evil rulership? What about if the government is chaotic in nature, and believes that justice is determined by individual moral compasses rather than by an unyielding legal structure?

If any of the above circumstances were in effect in the town where the crime occurred, the paladin would not be able to rely on effective justice being doled out by the authorities.

Okay, I agree so far. Now the question is "what would have been the Lawful thing to do in this case?"

1. Kill the guy in secret without allowing him to say anything.

2. Subdue or otherwise arrest the guy, tie him up, drag him out into a public place, announce openly what you had caught him doing, give him a chance to put up any defence he might have (likely to be pathetic, but you lose nothing by allowing for the chance that something unexpected was going on), consider the evidence, announce a verdict, ask the locals what the usual punishment is, in accordance or otherwise pronounce a sentence, and carry it out.

I think it is pretty clear that even in a situation in which there was no legitimate or dependable local authority, the paladin acted unLawfully. However, a paladin does not lose his powers for a single unLawful act, even a willing one. So this act puts the paladin's alignment in question, but ought not to result in an immediate loss of powers.

Darklone

satori01 said:
What really disturbed me about this thread is the still continuing "lawful stupid" mentality when it comes to Paladins.

The Paladin is a martial class, why wouldnt a Paladin take a stategic advantage.
This "cant attack from behind" dogma is a bit silly. Why not? Does this mean a Paladin can not flank, or take a suprise round, or have numerical superiority?...
Sorry to cut the rest of your post, this is not supposed to mean I didn't read it ... But the paladin "position" I tried to describe has nothing to do with lawful stupid. It has something to do with knowing that you already lost all you're fighting for if you use the same methods as your enemies.

If the paladin is only fighting to kill evil things, he might as well kill himself cause he's not different or better than them. He just thinks he's better.

Darklone

By Henry:No offense meant by this, Darklone, but I can understand why you don't -- that's a VERY high standard to set, and I would say impossible to live up to.
Again... forgot it in the first post:

For me being a paladin is not necessarily fulfilling all these extremely high expectations, but TRYING to do it. If you fail on the way while trying to be good... no problem. Repenting will bring you insight and wisdom to act better next time. But acting rashly because "you know it was better to kill him fast"... is not what I would deem wise, holy or good.

Haloq Jakar

First Post
1st let me say that I disagree with the DM because as long as you didn't slay an innocent then you were in the right. I seem to remember an old DRAGON article in which EGG said lawful good does not equal stupid. And regardless of what your DM said you as the PC didn't know if that might not have been a ? level rogue etc,so why should you have given him the chance to slay you. It sounds to me like he wants to be rid of your paladin. But my main concern is that he would even put a situation like that in his game. I really don't care how "gritty" the game is some things are just plain wrong.

Numion

First Post
Agemegos said:
Of course not. But it wouldn't have, so that is beside the point. The paladin could have struck for subdual damage.

No he couldn't have. He decided that the penalty for molesting a child is death, and you can't kill with subdual damage, now can you?

No he did not.

He did not make sure and demonstrate in public that a due process of law was observed, and therefore he did not act as a judge.

He did not listen to and impartially consider any evidence and argument that might have been made for the defence, and therefore he did not act as a jury.

Look, in FR the Paladins are noted to be the Judge, Jury and Executioner of Divine Law. Thus due process was observed because all were present in the form of a single Paladin. Why should the paladin put more weight on a secular court of some backwater town?

Evidence? The guy was caught as red handed as possible!

Should a Paladin wake up a dragon for medical tests before attacking to make sure it isn't really an albino brass dragon living in an ice cave instead of an evil white dragon? Perhaps gather some more evidence, get a warrant to enter it's lair? Paladins aren't defense attorneys for the bad guys. The burden is on the enemy to not stand before a little girl with wang out talking about lessons..

For the Paladin in capital cases the divine law is the best option. Secular courts come in to play when capital punishment isn't an option and Paladin isn't intrested in building a cell for the perps.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads