• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkl3000

Explorer
A valuable niche of being commoners.... just like every other race has.

This is the thing I don't get. The "they are just everyday folk" argument seems to think that no other race includes any commoners at all. You realize EVERY "pure" race (as in not the planetouched) has commoners right?

Also, no one is asking for a halfling kingdom. But a broader role in society... yeah, they do kind of need that. Right now they are basically invisible as far as anyone world-building with them is concerned. And you guys love that, I get that. But... you can still have invisible halfling commoners alongside a section of halfling lore that hooks into the wider world.

Because right now... they are contributing nothing to the common good. And in a world with as many threats as DnD has, that is bizarre.
I don't think they need politics or a formal role in the broader society or a creation story. (But I do count their "discovery" by Yondalla as a kind of a creation story. The story is that their creation is a mystery even to the Gods.) In other words, they don't have to be an entire race of diplomats or merchants or house sprites or whatever (though I don't necessarily have an argument with anyone else wanting their halflings to be those things). BUT That is not to say that individual halflings can't do those things. I think it's charming and interesting that like I said in another post, "they are just part of the scenery." No one much thinks about where they came from or what they're doing there, they just are and seem like they always have been.

In the game I'm playing in now, my halfling character does have a background of being from a merchant family. He is from a village in Amn (Amn is an area of Faerun with a large halfling population and has a reputation as kind of the bread basket of the world). His father is a successful barley farmer and brewer, not because he had any ambition to be a business man, but because he just happened to be really good at it and he found a small plot of land in a fertile river valley that happened to have a really great terroir for barley. (He got lucky! And probably Sheela was smiling down on him as well.) He produces as much as he can because he knows people appreciate his product, but it's still just a small family operation. The family's brand of strong ale has become a highly sought-after luxury across Amn.

So... not political, not ruled by ambition, he just carved out a nook for himself and is enjoying his life. He has the support of the country where he resides because they know that without him they'd lose a valuable, regional resource.

Could this role be filled by a human farmer? Sure, but I don't think it would have the same feel. And this is just dealing with my character's family's background. It doesn't really get into his motivation for adventuring and his story moving forward, which I won't get into here, but I think that that part of his story is also well-suited to an unassuming, underdog, indefatigable, brave, but reluctant hero.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That if you stacked up all of Salvatore's worldwide sales of his entire book collection (not all of which are even D&D related) for his entire career, the same audience could be covered by as few as 5 episodes of CR (maybe fewer) and as many as 30.

And if you took a peak week for a recent high-profile video game, it would equate to a low viewership week for CR.

So yes, the odds of a player being "somewhat familiar with the CR setting are higher than for FR, in my opinion.
Right. How many people watched campaign 2 episode 1 live? I recall it was a insane number, and that was just the live viewership.

carkl3000

Explorer
I've tried Critical Role, but it is too much! I don't have time for 3 hour episodes, ever. I do like The Adventure Zone. Those guys are funny. I think D20 Dames is pretty good, too.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't think they need politics or a formal role in the broader society or a creation story. (But I do count their "discovery" by Yondalla as a kind of a creation story. The story is that their creation is a mystery even to the Gods.) In other words, they don't have to be an entire race of diplomats or merchants or house sprites or whatever (though I don't necessarily have an argument with anyone else wanting their halflings to be those things). BUT That is not to say that individual halflings can't do those things. I think it's charming and interesting that like I said in another post, "they are just part of the scenery." No one much thinks about where they came from or what they're doing there, they just are and seem like they always have been.

In the game I'm playing in now, my halfling character does have a background of being from a merchant family. He is from a village in Amn (Amn is an area of Faerun with a large halfling population and has a reputation as kind of the bread basket of the world). His father is a successful barley farmer and brewer, not because he had any ambition to be a business man, but because he just happened to be really good at it and he found a small plot of land in a fertile river valley that happened to have a really great terroir for barley. (He got lucky! And probably Sheela was smiling down on him as well.) He produces as much as he can because he knows people appreciate his product, but it's still just a small family operation. The family's brand of strong ale has become a highly sought-after luxury across Amn.

So... not political, not ruled by ambition, he just carved out a nook for himself and is enjoying his life. He has the support of the country where he resides because they know that without him they'd lose a valuable, regional resource.

Could this role be filled by a human farmer? Sure, but I don't think it would have the same feel. And this is just dealing with my character's family's background. It doesn't really get into his motivation for adventuring and his story moving forward, which I won't get into here, but I think that that part of his story is also well-suited to an unassuming, underdog, indefatigable, brave, but reluctant hero.
Hell yeah. Not only this, but imagine for a moment a similar, but different character.

Instead of Amn, let’s say she’s from a small island nation with very good soil for barley, and really good honeybees, and some other resources like that, and her father made this special ale that has elements of a cider, mead, and underlying notes of that bready warmth you get with stouts and such, which comes together into a sort of “apple pie” flavor and feel, that’s relatively light, crisp, but with that undertone that makes you feel warm and satisfied. It’s a famous brew, and one of the very few claims to fame of the island.

And then the island was invaded, and the invaders took heavy casualties, including the invading king’s favorite son, and so the king curse the land so that it’s name was forgotten, and only those born there could remember it, and he burned the fields and cut down the ancient trees, except for a few places, which he destroyed in a more spiritual way. Grandma Gold’s Apple Ale has been replaced with Ialandel’s Golden Tears, named for the king’s slain son, and our PCs brother is made to brew his family’s brew under this false name.

Now our PC, she travels the region, and has traveled more broadly than that, as a musician and playwright, sometimes as a poet, sometimes as a mercenary, gathering allies, finding her folk in their despairing diaspora and giving them hope, because she has a plan. She has a plan to draw the king out into battle with the rival empire that has taken much of the archipelago, battle for the last free island, a great trade port coveted by both invaders, and she will cut the heads off both snakes as they grapple with eachother.

This could also be a human, but again it feels very different for being a halfling who grew up in a halfling home. It feels different that she isn’t a princess but rather simply the daughter of an a island without princes, whose family is respected because of what they make and how they have always treated others. It feels different that she is small and easily overlooked and not taken seriously by the big folk, that she has to work a little harder to prove herself to them because she doesn’t have some regal princely bearing.

That’s why it is valuable that Halflings are just folks. That they have no kings, no empires, no big impact on history, they are just folks.

Oofta

Legend
I've tried Critical Role, but it is too much! I don't have time for 3 hour episodes, ever. I do like The Adventure Zone. Those guys are funny. I think D20 Dames is pretty good, too.
I watch or listen while doing other things, typically exercising or riding my bike. But no, I've never live-streamed a single show or gone through an entire episode in one sitting. Closest I come to watching an entire episode is when I'm biking and my wife talks me into a super long ride. :)

But I can see that it won't be for everyone. Fortunately there are a lot of options out there.

Faolyn

(she/her)
According to page 13 of the Basic PDF,

Most dwarves are lawful, believing firmly in the benefits of a well-ordered society. They tend toward good as well, with a strong sense of fair play and a belief that everyone deserves to share in the benefits of a just order.​

I imagine that @Chaosmancer thinks there's a contradiction between that, and the description of the history of Dwarves and Duergar. And I can see why!
Quite possible. Although Chaosmancer's reply was more like "I don't care about upsetting people who like that story," not "how can they not see the contradiction!?"

I feel it is a good backstory. It sets up a great potential plot of unearthing the true history of the duergar and forcing the other dwarfs into acknowledging it and accepting the truth instead of the lies they've been fed by their elders.

And if you don't use alignment, then surface dwarfs were already not Always Lawful Good, and duergar, no longer Always Evil, become the equivalent of the gith--more people mutated by the mind flayers and who have a strong reason to fight against them. The only difference is that the giths were already divided into good and evil

Chaosmancer

Legend

Here is the thing though. If the argument was that they shouldn't be a monolith, I'd agree with that. But right now they ARE a monolith, and that monolith is something that your character's family is already breaking. Because they are important and known by the country he resides in.

By what people have told me, and insisted on time and time again, your character's backstory is also changing halflings too much, because this family became important and well known and halflings are supposed to be unimportant and fade into the background.

But, as you noted, it doesn't take someone trying to become wealthy, successful, or important for it to happen anyways. And having halflings tied to something outside of their idyllic farm life makes it seem like they actually exist in the world, rather than just... randomly popping up out of nowhere and doing nothing.

This has never been about making every single halfling important, it has never been about giving them ambitions for wealth or glory, it is about making some halflings interact with the larger world without having to rely on them being a player character. About recognizing that in a world as dangerous as DnD, a race of people who just mooch protection off of humans and laze around in idyllic glades doesn't seem right. About looking at a set-up like "a halfling brewery supported by a country" and not think on some level "that's wrong, halflings aren't supposed to be important."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads