D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is true. But why, then, are Halfling defenders trying to argue that Halflings aren't - in terms of culture and heritage - just interchangeable with humans? That seems like overthinking, or at least overreaching.
Yeah I think it is.

The only real true distinction from humans is their greater pluck. Potential levels of pluck being a quality of directly inverse proportionality to one's height.

pemerton

Legend
The only real true distinction from humans is their greater pluck. Potential levels of pluck being a quality of directly inverse proportionality to one's height.
Has anyone ever encountered a plucky half-ogre or half-giant?

I once had an ogre PC in a Rolemaster campaign. He was about 10' tall, weighed about 1200 lb, and was absolutely devastating in melee. He was also good company if you didn't want too sophisticated a night out. But I don't recall anyone ever describing him as plucky.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Hairy shoeless feet: heh, sorry for your 5e loss.

Round jovial faces: no problem.

Natural stealthiness: the 5e mechanics and lore for Halfling could do more to emphasize this, in ways that are clearly nonhuman.

In other words.

The Halfling is a Human!

The Halfling isnt a separate lineage.

The Halfling is a physically diverse Human ethnicity.

A Human nation is a "people".

That is what I have been saying all along.

The Halfling can be deleted from the list of lineages and added to the list of Human ethnicities.

The Halfling is way too Human.
Can you explain again why you feel the need to ask another poster their opinion, and then when they give it to you you try to tell them why their opinion is wrong?

What is your end goal? Is it to convince everyone in this thread to stop liking what they like because you don't like it? Are you going to keep refuting opinions until no opinions differ from your own?

You asked...they answered. It's not a debate because it's an opinion.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Really? Your humans build underground cities and are united in their hatred of a specific enemy?

Look, I'm not talking about the quality here. Just the fact that halflings do stand out here as being 100% replaceable by humans without any changes other than about 3 feet vertically. Dwarves and gnomes might describe some humans, at best, but, the halfling description is pretty much indistinguishable from how you would describe most of humanity.
Let's flip this around. Dwarves live underground and Duregar (which are also dwarves) live even more underground. Elves love the forest but some elves also live more underground. Gnomes live all over the place, and some gnomes live more underground.

The elves and gnomes that live more underground changed to adapt to their environment and presumably build cities where they live.

So what keeps humans from having had an offshoot go more underground (just like dwarves, elves, and gnomes) that carved itself cities there BESIDES an arbitrary decision by the writer of the fiction?

Why do all tieflings look like stereotypical devilish humans? Why aren't there dwarf tireflings and halfling tieflings? Are there normal human looking tieflings that have no devil features in a book? Why not?

Same question but for genasi. Why aren't there dragonborn or tabaxi based genasi?

Same question but for half-orcs. Where are my tortleorks or Orkliaths?

The answer to all these questions is that if you want those things in your game you can add them, but the PHB has a very limited space in which to introduce and stat out the races it has decided to include. Part of the design process did not, apparently, include a requirement that "This thing only functions as written and can't be replicated in any other way or else it's not good enough."

I can't think of any choices that can't be alternately explained by the story "Humans moved here or did such-and-such and we're changed by magic to be this new thing. You already accept that logic for tieflings, so why not couldn't it be applied to dragonborn or warforged?

Hussar

Legend
/snip

So what keeps humans from having had an offshoot go more underground (just like dwarves, elves, and gnomes) that carved itself cities there BESIDES an arbitrary decision by the writer of the fiction?
/snip

Well, there's two issue here. One, why don't we have a human group that goes underground? Well, in game, human's can't see in the dark. Humans that stay underground too long die. So, there is that.

The other issue is, well, this is just begging a question. There are no (as far as I know) underground humans in D&D. So, claiming that there could be underground humans, so, dwarves are just like humans, is a bit strange since there are no underground humans.

OTOH, I'm hardly wedded to dwarves anyway. You want to bump them out too? Fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Would not bother me in the least.

Hussar

Legend
Yeah. That's what I still don't quite get from this thread. Just don't play a halfling or ban them from your game. Or quit your game if you feel strongly about it. I've noted previously that the "do it my way" feeling can be rather pervasive sometimes. When it's all said and done WOTC owns the game and they probably are well aware of the backlash they would get if they removed halflings from the PHB or errata'ed them out. They run a business and want to generate revenue and that means casting a big net. Their main target audience is not people like us who quibble about what page halflings are on 🤓
Swimming upthread a bit for this quote because I think this really gets to the heart of the issue for me.

It's not that I would not play halflings or ban them from my games. It's not that at all. It's that they so rarely come up that removing them from the PHB would impact my table not at all. It would make zero difference to nearly all the campaigns I've ever played if halflings did not appear in the PHB because I've seen them played so rarely. Gnomes fit in this category too. I still remember that we played Scarred Lands in a weekly D&D game for almost two years before anyone noticed that there were no Gnomes in Scarred Lands. When 4e dropped the gnome I, like WotC ,was absolutely shocked by the reaction that it engendered.

So, yes, you are absolutely right in that we will never be able to cast off the shackled imposed on us by Tolkien fetishists. Doesn't matter how little halflings get played or used. They MUST appear in D&D because for so many people D&D=Tolkien. The reason we took thirty+ years to get our first non-Tolkien race (outside gnomes) in a PHB is for exactly this reason. Cutting out the dead weight and breaking the game away from the moldering corpse of Tolkien has been a drum I've been banging since early 3e days. If they replaced pretty much every race in the PHB with something more not appearing in Tolkien I'd be a happy camper. Let the game grow and breathe instead of tying everything down to some dude that's been dead since before I was born.

Unfortunately, it's never, ever going to happen. This thread is exactly what you'd expect if you even tried. Even suggesting that halflings be altered in some way to make them less human is met with derision and open hostility. THOU MUST NOT TOUCH THE RACES OF ALMIGHTY TOLKIEN. And so, the PHB races get less and less relevant to players with each passing year. And, IMNSHO, the game suffers for it. It stifles creativity. I mean, good grief, we haven't had an original setting in D&D since 4e. It's been almost ten years since we've had an original setting that wasn't tied to the same basic races that appeared in the 1e AD&D PHB. The most creative settings we've got for 5e are Magic the Gathering tie-ins. And that's only pretty recent. We're going to be milking that cow for a LONG time.

By contrast.

Humans like the comforts of home. Most humans do.

Many humans want a place to settle in peace and quiet, in safety.

Humans loving hearths and ovens and fireplaces, is a thing.

Humans love fine drink, obviously.

Humans love fine conversation, obviously. Humans are social creatures.

Most humans live in "agricultural communities", especially in a medievalesque setting.

Many humans live in nomadic cultures.

Many humans are curious and have wanderlust. This is a thing! Especially for stories about humans who set off on an adventure.

Human adventurers too love new foods, new sights, new clothes, new cultures.

The description of the Halfling 100% purely utterly completely identically totally HUMAN!

But are they?

I mean, in Dark Sun the "flip" is that halflings are barbaric cannibals who everyone is terrified of, and stay away from their jungle hideaways.

Humans can do that, too... but it's WEIRD when halflings do it. Halflings share a lot of traits with humans, but not all of them- their savagery, ambition, lust for power and search for the divine are all de-emphasized in favor of something more... utilitarian?

As for Elves, well... a race that doesn't engage in agriculture or do hard work doesn't really make sense. Elves must farm and do hard work, or... well... I guess they are REALLY etherial, then, aren't they? 👻

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads