D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolares

Hero
Yeah if halflings can't take the place of humans in their description on the PHB... PHB humans can't take the place of the halflings. The problem here is we assumePHB humans are the same as us, so if we see ourselves in halflings we see PHB humans

pemerton

Legend
If all you need is a description of being "magical" and "otherworldly", they can be added in basically anywhere in the halfling description without changing the substance of the description one iota.

"Magical" and "otherworldly" are meaningless descriptors beyond lazy writer code for "you should be impressed."
Saying that something could be done doesn't mean that it has been done. (I think @Hussar said the same thing upthread.)

And I don't think "magical" and "otherworldly" are meaningless or lazy in the context of a D&D-ish FRPG. They're literal descriptions that establish fiction.

Now if nothing in play turns on the fact that elves are magical and otherworldy, that's a different thing: but its not a problem with the conception of elves, its a problem with actually taking backstory seriously in gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads