D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Yikes on trikes.

I'm not going to read 75 pages to point out that if you want to drop hobbits from D&D because they're Tolkien's thing, you also have to drop elves and dwarves and orcs and goblins for the same reason. Are we also going to excise everything cribbed from Moorcock and Anderson and Vance and Burroughs and Howard and where does it end?

Halflings have a niche. They're the SLBs (stealthy little bastards). 'Nuff said.

Oofta

Legend
So, these two posts aren't yours?

I took the liberty of bolding and coloring some key lines. Did you state the exact words "you dismissed halflings because they aren't violent." No, of course not. You are always very careful never to say you didn't say something in those exact words.

Instead you "asked" if being an interesting race required conquering nations and being fierce warriors. You pointedly said that "maybe the janitors, school teachers and factory line workers of the world aren't important to you" So that you could turn it around and paint it like I don't "count" common people, that I dismiss them in favor of the super rich like Elon Musk. You made the claim that I don't like playing the "happy-go-lucky" PC.

And, every time I point out that, no, your accusations are wrong. That I do enjoy PCs who are innocent and happy, that I don't think being a conquering nation of warriors is what is needed to be an interesting race... you ignore it and accuse me of requiring halflings to be violent warriors to be important, and that I should just accept that people like playing a common, plucky hero who isn't some important king or scholar or mage.

So, you basically accuse me of things, ignore when I show that is not the case, then accuse me of the same things again, then just state "in general" about how "some posters" have these beliefs... and when I confront you about it, you accuse me of trolling or being unreasonable and how you don't have time for this conversation and you are going to bow out of the thread and stop responding...

Until a day later or so when you go back to accusing me of the same things.

So, I'd like an acknowledgement from you that your accusations were wrong. That I don't think that a race has to be fierce warriors or conquerors to be interesting. That I don't dismiss characters or concepts like "happy-go-lucky" PCs or commoners who represent schoolteachers and factory workers. I doubt I'll get it. No amount of me posting and pursuing this has ever gotten you to address when you are wrong about me, you always deflect and attack me from a different angle. But that doesn't mean I should stop trying.

How you go from A to Z skipping everything in-between amazes me. I tried to understand what your problem is. With halflings, that is. Because I don't know. Which I've said repeatedly. Then you take umbrage at a comment that did not mention you, was not directed at you. You say that it's not because they aren't violent. It's not because they don't have kingdoms (I think, not sure). How am I supposed to know what you think? You never answer my questions. What I asked was simple "You say halflings aren't important, but what would make them "important"? Conquering nations? Being fierce warriors? Creating items in the DMG, practically all of which are directly related to adventuring and making combatants more effective?" I mean, sorry if you never said halflings weren't important ... but the rest of it was a question trying to understand your opinion not a freakin' accusation.

When have you ever "shown" me anything other than saying "no your wrong"? When have you explained to me what you do think? Did I miss it? I'm human, it's possible. I've scanned some of your responses and all I gather is that "they don't have lore" and you don't like the lucky or brave features. At least that's what I understood, because once again I'm not sure. Is that it? Can you ever just once give a simple 100-200 word response saying what the problem is?

But go ahead. Just say I'm wrong, making unfounded accusations, don't ever give a straight answer. I'm used to it.

Oofta

Legend
@Chaosmancer since you keep throwing around accusations, I thought I'd share my home campaign writeup on halflings and how I use them. Sticks pretty close to PHB lore.

But first, why I like playing them:
I play them as cheerful and almost unaware of danger. They're friendly and like making friends, very outgoing (I'm an introvert by nature, I like playing different personalities). While they may come across as happy-go-lucky, they have no issues with combat.​

My campaign writeup:
There are different groups of halflings. Some are nomads and traders, tinkers specializing in detailed work called the Renai. Most people enjoy when the Renai visit because of their cheerful nature, compassion and general good nature. Occasionally local artisans secretly object to the competition and spread rumors of them being thieves passing off shoddy workmanship.​
In the city, halflings happily do work that others may consider beneath them such as chimney sweeps, rat catchers and the like. They literally find small places to live, being happy in attics and back alleys, making use of small unused spaces and making them remarkably comfortable.​
Other halflings live quiet lives in peaceful countryside, happy to pay taxes for someone else to have the hassle of running the government. Their homes tend to blend into the countryside and when they need fences for livestock, it's most likely to be a line of thick brambles that may not appear to be a fence at all. Bandits and ruffians rarely bother them because they have little value but are fierce in the defense of their homes and those of their allies if necessary.​
Visitors to a halfling's home are welcome as long as they behave but people will notice that while the furniture is well made and maintained, it's fairly minimal. Decorations are as likely to be dried flowers from last summer as a mural painted by a child. Expensive items or displays of wealth are rarely if ever seen even among those halflings that in different communities would be wealthy. The most expensive items most halflings own will likely be something related to a hobby or a musical instrument, but even those are likely to be made by hand.​

Pretty simple. Can you explain in 500 words or less why you don't like halflings?

Chaosmancer

Legend
So those who like halflings (or pineapples)...are they objectively "wrong"? Is this basically what this convo is about?

Another thing. DnD is made to appeal to a general audience. We are not the general audience. They don't critically disect the lore or do white room DPR analysis and raise a fuss if the Champion fighter ticks in at 2.74371 percent lower DPR. They've seen LOTR and wanna play an unassuming halfling who comes from a simple, rustic upbringing. I don't find that upsetting.

Neither do I, despite people wanting to paint that as my opinion.

But is it really wrong to offer something for the halfling player who has never heard or seen LoTR? I mean, the last Hobbit movie was 7 years ago, and Return of the King was 18 years ago. What is there in the halfling to appeal to the 20-something player who has never read or watched Tolkien's work? Why is it so terrible to expand their lore and give them something else to work from than just being hobbits with a legally distinct name?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Heavens..I was trying avoid detailed quotations.. here we go I guess.

What is your "objective" measure for "simply not working"?

In general terms to cover every possible thing an author or creator might try to do? A break down of themes and technical mechanics of the medium that leads to the work not having the intended effect.

I mean, you are basically doing the same as asking "what is your objective measure for a car not working", well, it kind of depends on what part of the car. Saying it is stuck in one place isn't right for if the brakes won't engage and you can't stop.

I mean, there is an entire section of critical review for works where people look at something and state what didn't work. Pacing could be off because you spent too much time padding a flashback. You could have done a flashforward that confuses the audience instead of increasing dramatic tension. You could have used humor to break tension in the wrong spot, leading to the tone of the work being off.

Yes, art is subjective, but it contains objective components. There are musical notes that sound wrong when put together, and while that can be used on purpose to evoke that feeling of wrongness, it doesn't mean that you can use that same music in a scene that is supposed to be peaceful and make someone feel at peace. If you could, then the very ideas of tropes and archetypes could not possibly exist.

Strange that it doesn't just default to the rating of a single critic as a singular source of objective fact..wonder why that is?

Because a single person can be wrong. Know you are probably going to say "well than can't you be wrong". And, if I hadn't seen other people in other places for other reasons saying the exact same thing as what I am saying, then that might be a valid criticism. But just because I am the only one saying it right here and now doesn't mean that other people don't agree with me, and I am following that opinion.

You know what those other critics likely do when confronted by those that disagree with them? It probably isn't calling their opponents arrogant elitists who are trying to force people to submit to their arbitrary opinions. They probably, like I've done many times with people, discuss the actual criticisms and find common ground. You didn't take that route. You took the route of saying all possible criticism is null and void because fantasy is make-believe and therefore standards, themes, symbolism and entire fields of study don't exist and don't matter.

I have no issue with criticism presented as criticism. I have an issue with criticism presented as fact.

Moreover..even if it were true, which of us is committing the greater crime? Me for suggesting that critics should not dare to opine on a creative works thematic elements..or you for suggesting that creators ought not dare to combine thematic elements which some critics may dislike?

Of course you can TRY to combine certain elements. But when you do, and someone tells you "actually, that doesn't work for these reasons", rational people don't respond with berating the person for daring to critique them because their work is free-form and doesn't abide by rules and therefore criticisizing it is arrogance.

And maybe, if you could show that LoTR and Dungeons and Dragons have identical thematic elements that would justify hobbits as they exist in LoTR being copied whole cloth into DnD... that might change this conversation. If you can show that those elements DO work together, then my criticism is being opposed on its own level. You didn't do that. You attacked me for daring to even attempt to apply any level of criticism to the fantasy genre.

Correct. I have not, because there is no right or wrong here. In the same way that there are no facts here.

So Lord of the Rings doesn't feature the battle between Good and Evil, with evil having a single unifying force? Is that or is that not a fact? Because if it is a fact, then you are wrong, there are facts here.

And were I to do that, I would not be proving anything. I'd just be providing a contrary opinion to yours.

For the sake of argument though, we could say that halflings have a thematic tradition of value for kinship, kind of like what you might have in a party of adventurers. See.. seamless..in my opinion.

Almost like we would have a discussion. Can't do that though.

And, while I can agree that "kinship" in the terms of friendships is important, I'm not sure I would say that is something that the hobbits portray in a way that works like it would in an adventuring party. Were any of them really close with Gimli, Legolas or Aargorn? I mean, Sam and Frodo abandon the Fellowship at the end of the first book, and they never meet them again until after Mount Doom. And large portions of the Next two books ahve Merry and Pippin not interacting with Gimli, Legolas and Aargorn, who are chasing after them.

Sure, the friendship between Sam and Frodo is a big deal, but I don't really see that extending from the other hobbits to the non-hobbits.

Nope, not what I've said.

I've repeatedly told you that you seem to be claiming that your position is the only position.. which I find to be arrogant and silly.

You actually haven't disputed this interpretation of your position yet.

The interpretation that my position is the only possible position? I don't believe that I said my position was the only possible position. I obviously believe my position is right, I don't know very many people who purposefully take a position they believe is wrong. And I never really had a chance to do much to talk about my position, because you immediately started attacking me personally, instead of discussing my position.

lingual

Adventurer
Neither do I, despite people wanting to paint that as my opinion.

But is it really wrong to offer something for the halfling player who has never heard or seen LoTR? I mean, the last Hobbit movie was 7 years ago, and Return of the King was 18 years ago. What is there in the halfling to appeal to the 20-something player who has never read or watched Tolkien's work? Why is it so terrible to expand their lore and give them something else to work from than just being hobbits with a legally distinct name?

Nothing wrong with that. I thought the thread was about errata'ing them out the Players Handbook. You know that you can use whatever lore you want to in your own campaigns.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yikes on trikes.

I'm not going to read 75 pages to point out that if you want to drop hobbits from D&D because they're Tolkien's thing, you also have to drop elves and dwarves and orcs and goblins for the same reason. Are we also going to excise everything cribbed from Moorcock and Anderson and Vance and Burroughs and Howard and where does it end?

Halflings have a niche. They're the SLBs (stealthy little bastards). 'Nuff said.

That is not why anyone is talking about rewriting halfling lore. And I would say that Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and Goblins in DnD are not the same as their Tolkien equivalents. Just for the bare bones easy lob, ORcs and Goblins in DnD are not the industrial power they are in Tolkien, and Elves aren't semi-divine beings who perceive the world as flat.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
But is it really wrong to offer something for the halfling player who has never heard or seen LoTR?
You've got the city halflings and nomad halflings for that.

It's also not beyond the bounds of belief that a twentysomething non-Tolkien fan could actually like the pastoral hobbit version of halflings.

Chaosmancer

Legend
How you go from A to Z skipping everything in-between amazes me. I tried to understand what your problem is. With halflings, that is. Because I don't know. Which I've said repeatedly. Then you take umbrage at a comment that did not mention you, was not directed at you. You say that it's not because they aren't violent. It's not because they don't have kingdoms (I think, not sure). How am I supposed to know what you think? You never answer my questions. What I asked was simple "You say halflings aren't important, but what would make them "important"? Conquering nations? Being fierce warriors? Creating items in the DMG, practically all of which are directly related to adventuring and making combatants more effective?" I mean, sorry if you never said halflings weren't important ... but the rest of it was a question trying to understand your opinion not a freakin' accusation.

When have you ever "shown" me anything other than saying "no your wrong"? When have you explained to me what you do think? Did I miss it? I'm human, it's possible. I've scanned some of your responses and all I gather is that "they don't have lore" and you don't like the lucky or brave features. At least that's what I understood, because once again I'm not sure. Is that it? Can you ever just once give a simple 100-200 word response saying what the problem is?

But go ahead. Just say I'm wrong, making unfounded accusations, don't ever give a straight answer. I'm used to it.

A comment not directed at me? Both of those posts you quoted and were responding to me. And, before you asked those questions I had already, around three times, posted what I thought would be a perfectly fine rewrite for halflings. Making them a race of diplomats and lorekeepers, a race that people call on to act as a third-party and arbitrate between people. A race that is often found on the road or the river, traveling from one place to the next, and acting as the glue that holds the civilized races together.

I also would like them to have a better origin story than "we were found exactly like we are". The origin myth mentions Yondalla had a vision for them, what was it? It mentions she raised some of them to godhood for their deeds, what deeds? Expanding upon that lore would help immensely in making it feel like it mattered instead of like it was tacked on.

And I've said these things, multiple times. And sure, you may be thinking "That doesn't sound that different from the halflings that exist. In fact, it could be exactly like that". But, the key difference is stating it explicitly. Making it canon that this is what halflings do, rather than making vague statements about how they get along with everyone. And, you will also note, that all of those things people keep accusing me of. Of wanting a war-mongering race, a conquering race, a race full of edge and darkness... is nowhere to be seen.

And yes, I took your "questions" as a criticism, because the same things keep getting lobbed at me as criticisms. Again, and again, and again, even when I have stated that that is not what I am interested in. That that is not what I am advocating for. Heck, I was literally the only one to respond to @Whizbang Dustyboots asking for people to give a version of halflings they'd be happy with. And somehow, people seem to be unaware of that.

@Chaosmancer since you keep throwing around accusations, I thought I'd share my home campaign writeup on halflings and how I use them. Sticks pretty close to PHB lore.

But first, why I like playing them:
I play them as cheerful and almost unaware of danger. They're friendly and like making friends, very outgoing (I'm an introvert by nature, I like playing different personalities). While they may come across as happy-go-lucky, they have no issues with combat.​

My campaign writeup:
There are different groups of halflings. Some are nomads and traders, tinkers specializing in detailed work called the Renai. Most people enjoy when the Renai visit because of their cheerful nature, compassion and general good nature. Occasionally local artisans secretly object to the competition and spread rumors of them being thieves passing off shoddy workmanship.​
In the city, halflings happily do work that others may consider beneath them such as chimney sweeps, rat catchers and the like. They literally find small places to live, being happy in attics and back alleys, making use of small unused spaces and making them remarkably comfortable.​
Other halflings live quiet lives in peaceful countryside, happy to pay taxes for someone else to have the hassle of running the government. Their homes tend to blend into the countryside and when they need fences for livestock, it's most likely to be a line of thick brambles that may not appear to be a fence at all. Bandits and ruffians rarely bother them because they have little value but are fierce in the defense of their homes and those of their allies if necessary.​
Visitors to a halfling's home are welcome as long as they behave but people will notice that while the furniture is well made and maintained, it's fairly minimal. Decorations are as likely to be dried flowers from last summer as a mural painted by a child. Expensive items or displays of wealth are rarely if ever seen even among those halflings that in different communities would be wealthy. The most expensive items most halflings own will likely be something related to a hobby or a musical instrument, but even those are likely to be made by hand.​

Pretty simple. Can you explain in 500 words or less why you don't like halflings?

I do not like canon halflings because they do not connect to the world at large. They end up either acting and playing the role of humans in human cities, except that they are shorter than normal, or they end up in places like the Shire completely divorced from the rest of the world. Much of their canon write up seems to ignore anything happening outside the borders of a halfling village, and many of the things described seem like they are meant solely for the entire race to be viewed as innocent children. While I have nothing wrong with innocent characters, the idea of the entire race being infantilized like that and needing protection from the other races rubs me the wrong way. It doesn’t feel like halflings are equals in the world, they feel like they are lesser whose survival is all because of luck and the protection of their bigger and stronger neighbors.

I find it very difficult to have things like “Lucky” or “Brave” show up in actual play. Lucky is a feature that only comes up on the player-side, by rerolling a 1. This means that in every instance a die does not roll a 1, halflings are not lucky. This is a problem, because luck is repeatedly touted as a defining feature of the race. I could also make random rolls be because the halfling was “lucky” but that runs the risk of alienating a player by making their character seem like they have no skill, only luck. I also can’t just have random acts of good luck happen to the halfling character, because that creates an imbalance and seems like favoritism in the party.

Brave, as I discussed, is the same way. Either I must actively look for ways to make the rest of the party not brave, or the halflings bravery is not special amongst the party members. Hawkeye is not particularly brave when fighting beside Black Widow, they are equals in that regard. So too is the halfling character not particularly brave when compared with their companions who are also usually brave heroes. It is the cowardly or cautious player that is more memorable, rather than the brave ones. This creates the same problem as with lucky, either I must take this common trait and have it be non-special, removing something from the halfling, or I must force the other players to be less brave, so that the halflings bravery can shine.

Finally, I find this list of traits, friendly, outgoing, curious, innocent, “salt of the earth”, honest, earnest, ect to be a very poor list to make them different. This describes many characters, and a lot of it describes gnomes or farmers in general, and that makes it hard to say that a halfling is a unique member of the party because they are friendly or curious. And since their place in the world is so vague and niche, their personality following is much harder to handle.

^^ That is 497 words. I summarized a bit, since you mentioned you had issues with me not having an easy time with their traits I had to include that, and I didn’t even get to mention their gods and religion, but you did give me an arbitrary limit to lay out everything. And If I missed anything, I’m sure I’d get docked for that when I brought it up later because I “didn’t mention it before”.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Nothing wrong with that. I thought the thread was about errata'ing them out the Players Handbook. You know that you can use whatever lore you want to in your own campaigns.

Yes, as every single person in the thread has told me. However, having a problem with the base lore and thinking the base lore should be changed is not accomplished by homebrewing my own lore. As noted by the fact that even though I changed dwarf and elf lore, the PHB remains unchanged.

And yes, I think it is fair to say that halfling lore should be changed in the book, to improve it and make it stronger.

Additionally, while there are some people who are talking about removing them, I only agree with them if we insist on not changing anything about halflings. If people want to keep every single thing exactly as is... then yes, I'm fine with them being moved out of the PHB, but if people are open to them getting improved, then I see no reason to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads