D&D 5E My thoughts on 5e (mostly martial power source)

Deadboy

First Post
I hope fighters retain abilities that go beyond "I attack," even if its an optional add-on system. Having played a 3.5 fighter and found it to be the most bored I've been playing an RPG, ever, and having played a 4e fighter and had an absolute blast, I'm never going back. 4e fighters play the way I think a fighter should work, regardless of some people out there who seem think that things making sense has ever been a feature of the D&D system (not that I'm saying fighter powers don't make sense, because they actually do - a lot more sense then fighters who just stand around and swing at things).

As to the original post, I'm a big proponent of making weapons more unique in the manner discussed. Having some weapons that default to Dexterity (or even Constitution) would help make more classes work from the ground up without having to use customization options like feats to make them do something they should be able to do by basic design.

Last edited:

StAlda

Explorer
I like the part:

longsword

attack: Str vs AC

This would allow daggers to be wielded with dexterity from level 1, which in my opinion makes a lot of sense.
A rogue not able to use a dagger with a dexterity based base attack didn´t make sense in 4e, and a rogue only beeing able to select weapon finesse at level 2 also didn´t.
I can´t see how a light blade should not be wielded with dexterity instead of strength.
Everyone who wanted to be a light blade fighter eventually aimed for weapon finesse, not because it is a good choice, but flavourful.

This is where I really hope they go.

Longsword Strength vs. AC
Mace Strength vs. Reflex(Dex)
Dagger Dexterity vs. AC
Flail Dexterity vs. Reflex(Dex)

If you don't want the 4e feel for fighter characters, the weapon has all your infomation needed to start playing (plus the basic attack scaling, which I think, in game flow matters, is better than multiple attacks). If you do, the weapon powers are in the optional material. BTW, I'm a 1e player from way back, there is nothing wrong with basic attack and describe to the DM the how/what/why.

Another thing I hope they do (as mentioned in other threads) is a slow AC progression. There is nothing wrong with a Red Dragon with a 23 AC, if it has 800 hit points, and it dumps out considerable damage, it will still make you soil your armor.

The one other thing that will make 5e great, if they can acheive their goal of basic with options, is that systems like the one I describe above will probably be easy to add to the system. Third party products could come out of the woodwork again with there own systems. Remember how Mearls got put on the map? I definitely bought of his Quint books.

Last edited:

Remove ads