• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mystic theurge vs pure wizard/cleric

Trellian

Explorer
I was thinking about picking Craft Wondrous Items and Craft Wands.. allowing me to buy even more magic items at character creation. This will of course drop me to 14th char level. I know I won't lose any spell levels.. but it will now be two levels (at least 1,5) before 7th level spells.. argh.. this is why creating 1st level characters are so much easier :mad:

StormCrow42

Explorer
One thing nobody seems to have mentioned yet is that a Wizard 15 with a 13th level Cleric cohort (or visa-versa) via leadership is quite possibly a superior option to anything else offered (substitute your favorite full-caster arcane and divine builds as appropriate).

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Trellian said:
I was thinking about picking Craft Wondrous Items and Craft Wands.. allowing me to buy even more magic items at character creation.

Just check with your DM about this first. Some DMs don't have a problem with it. Some DMs go by an 'official' ruling by WotC that Item Creation feats cannot be used during character generation. It's a 6 of one, half a dozen of another type-thing. Like I said, just make sure the DM knows what you want to do before you try it and possibly have them say no.

Thanee

First Post
Our CotSQ party is 14th~15th level now and has a Mystic Theurge (a recent replacement for a deceased character) now. At this level he seems to be fairly powerful and the ability to cast both arcane and divine spells offers a great deal of flexibility.

We also had a Mystic Theurge at the start of the campaign (up to 8th level or so, when the character died and got replaced, because the player had enough of it ;)), who was so incredibly weak, he appeared several levels lower in power compared to the other characters.

Both of them have (or had) Practiced Spellcaster twice, which is definitely a necessity (at least once).

Bye
Thanee

Philip

Explorer
Rkhet said:
I'd say go for pure Wizard. Polymorph Any Object is just too much to give up for low-level Cleric abilities.

Also, in two level's time, you'll have 9th level Wizard spells.

9th level Wizard spells. Think about it.

Do you guys ever play from 1st to 20th, or is this all idle chatter? I often see classes being judged about how powerful they are at 20th lvl, 18th lvl or something. That's only 5% of you entire career if you reach that high a level at all. With campaign coming to an end, character deaths etc. I even think you spend much less of your playing time at those levels, maybe 3%.

Aspiring Mystic Theurges have a bad time on levels 5,6 and 7. They just don't match up to their peers. Before that and after that they are usually fine.

Rkhet

First Post
I don't see what you're trying to say. Two levels of advancement isn't too much to ask for in a game of reasonable length. In fact, a significant portion of the game should happen after that two levels.

This guy is starting at level 15. Not at level 1.

Thanee

First Post
I wouldn't call 6th (soon 7th) level cleric spells 'low-level'. :p

And not everyone wants to exploit/abuse Polymorph Any Object. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
@Philip: Our current party (which I mentioned above) is the third now reaching 15th+ levels starting at 1st/2nd.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads