D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros is the #1 D&D New Release

dave2008

Legend
I got Odyssey of the Dragonlords. There's no way this one is going to top that.
I don't know, based on the "Let's Read Odyssey of the Dragonlords" thread, the adventure included with it seems fairly awful (at least the lasts half or so). On top of that, I don't really like the setting as described either. I got the PDF, but I've really lost interest in it. What do you like about it that could/should interest me into giving it another try?

gyor

Legend
I don't know, based on the "Let's Read Odyssey of the Dragonlords" thread, the adventure included with it seems fairly awful (at least the lasts half or so). On top of that, I don't really like the setting as described either. I got the PDF, but I've really lost interest in it. What do you like about it that could/should interest me into giving it another try?

The races are really neat, same with the subclasses, amd epic destinies, the way they mixed Dragonlords with a Greco type setting.

gyor

Legend
I'm combining BOTH together for the full Greek DND Odyssey.

Odyssey of the Dragonlord was designed to be dropped into any preexusting setting, so you can easily just drop it into Theros' oceans. Maybe change the Gods of Odyssey of the Dragonlords to Demigods powerful enough to grant spells, because they don't seem to be as powerful as the Theros Gods.

Retreater

Legend
I think the adventure is pretty solid, actually. Like it is in my Top 3 5e campaigns based on just reading it. There is a ton of short adventure sites. It's thematic. Character creation options are better than any WotC campaign adventure.
Also, it's immediately useful. Books like Eberron, Wildemount, or Ravnica, you have to mine it for something useful.
I could start running a Dragonlords Campaign after having the book for a couple hours. I've had Eberron since Black Friday and have no idea what to do with it.

dave2008

Legend
The races are really neat, same with the subclasses, amd epic destinies, the way they mixed Dragonlords with a Greco type setting.
Some of the races and subclasses do seem interesting. Enough for me to sue them in my own game, but not enough for me to want to run this setting. Similarly, I like the idea of the epic destinies, but I need to look into them more. I like the idea of adding something on top of base D&D to give a push in a particular direction. I need to read about them more to see if that is what these do. However, I don't like the story of the dragonlords, the titans, and the five gods. Maybe if I read it again I will change my mind, but I guess I was hoping the dragon lords were still thing, and I don't like that a mortal is married to a god and another god is imprisoned by another mortal. Not my cup of tea.

dave2008

Legend
I think the adventure is pretty solid, actually. Like it is in my Top 3 5e campaigns based on just reading it. There is a ton of short adventure sites. It's thematic. Character creation options are better than any WotC campaign adventure.
Also, it's immediately useful. Books like Eberron, Wildemount, or Ravnica, you have to mine it for something useful.
I could start running a Dragonlords Campaign after having the book for a couple hours. I've had Eberron since Black Friday and have no idea what to do with it.
I have the PDF, I guess I just feel about 180 degrees different than you (so far). The adventure didn't interest me at first glance and after reading through the "review" I linked too it just seems like a terrible railroad later on.

I don't know what to do with this book, yet I immediately made use of Eberron and Ravnica (I don't have Wildemount). At first glance the only thing I am interested in taking for my game is the idea of epic destinies. However, I still need to read up on them to see if the implementation matches my imagination. So far, most of the rest of this book has not.

Not sure about character creation options (we have the same characters since we started with 5e 5 years ago), but some of the races and subclasses do sound interesting - but as the DM I don't worry about that stuff much and leave it to my players (so that doesn't really affect my interest level). We have way more character options than we will ever use, so that is not a big selling point for me personally.

Do you have anything specific? You said it was immediately useful, how so? What from this book (other than classes and subclasses which I am not interested in) did you use in your regular campaign?

Retreater

Legend
I have the PDF, I guess I just feel about 180 degrees different than you (so far). The adventure didn't interest me at first glance and after reading through the "review" I linked too it just seems like a terrible railroad later on.

I don't know what to do with this book, yet I immediately made use of Eberron and Ravnica (I don't have Wildemount). At first glance the only thing I am interested in taking for my game is the idea of epic destinies. However, I still need to read up on them to see if the implementation matches my imagination. So far, most of the rest of this book has not.

Not sure about character creation options (we have the same characters since we started with 5e 5 years ago), but some of the races and subclasses do sound interesting - but as the DM I don't worry about that stuff much and leave it to my players (so that doesn't really affect my interest level). We have way more character options than we will ever use, so that is not a big selling point for me personally.

Do you have anything specific? You said it was immediately useful, how so? What from this book (other than classes and subclasses which I am not interested in) did you use in your regular campaign?
Odyssey of the Dragonlords is "immediately useful" insofar if a group of players came to me and wanted me to start a campaign, I could pull the book off my shelf and have an adventure ready to go in 5-10 minutes. (I haven't yet, because I just got the book last week and my players are all enjoying the other adventures we've got going on.)
Eberron, Ravnica, Wildemount, (and likely Theros) would take weeks of reading history and geopolitical text to begin to craft an adventure, something that could be used for evenings of entertainment for my friends.
This edition has been recently way too much on "official" 3rd party campaign setting guides. I mean, we're getting two back to back.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Wow you are so negative, you have a real talent for finding the cloud in every silver lining.

Its a GOOD thing Theros is doing so well so far, try positivity you might enjoy it.

I'm just pointing out that as this point, pre-orders for sales of Theros being at #16 doesn't mean that much; it could be good, or maybe it's even bad.

If it keeps climbing as it gets closer to release, that's a good thing. But I'm pointing out the metrics that you've shared are completely meaningless right now.

dave2008

Legend
Odyssey of the Dragonlords is "immediately useful" insofar if a group of players came to me and wanted me to start a campaign, I could pull the book off my shelf and have an adventure ready to go in 5-10 minutes. (I haven't yet, because I just got the book last week and my players are all enjoying the other adventures we've got going on.)
Eberron, Ravnica, Wildemount, (and likely Theros) would take weeks of reading history and geopolitical text to begin to craft an adventure, something that could be used for evenings of entertainment for my friends.
This edition has been recently way too much on "official" 3rd party campaign setting guides. I mean, we're getting two back to back.
OK, I see what you mean. We have different ideas of what "immediately useful" means. I definitely don't feel I could pick this book off the shelf and run an adventure in this setting without spending some serious time with it. So far I don't like the setting or the adventure (but I don't like published adventures in general so that is not really a strike against this book). That would make it hard for me to get going. The whole epic path thing is a barrier in that regard as well.

However, I did start looking through it again and there are a lot of monsters and a few I think are interesting and worth adding to my rotation. Unfortunately, the epic paths are not really what I was hoping for, so that is a loss for me.

Remove ads