D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros is the #1 D&D New Release

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Preorders are sales so at the very least set a floor to sales, but not a ceiling.
No, they're not. They are only probable potential sales. They're more like dinner reservations at a restaurant. It's an indication that someone is definitely thinking about buying what is being offered, but they still may not do so.

I do pre-orders all the time on many different things.. My card does not get charged until around the actual ship date. And by then, I've tended to cancel about half of them.

"When you preorder on Amazon when does it charge?"

"When you pre-order a not-yet-released item on Amazon, you will not be charged immediately — instead, the card on file will be charged a few days before the item is released, typically when it ships or a few days prior to its shipping, depending on the item."

So pre-orders are good for getting a kinda sorta feel for an items possible floor to sales, but that's it.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The material from both Theros and Odyssey will be used for an eventual Arkhosia/Bael Turath game in an (also eventual) Nerath game.

The campaign from Odyssey looks a little railroad-y but 1) me players love their railroad 2) I think it could be mixed with a nautical campaign such as Saltmarsh to create a smoother progression. I could even add to that the high level adventures from 4e to go with the Odyssey campaign after the main storyline.

gyor

Legend
No, they're not. They are only probable potential sales. They're more like dinner reservations at a restaurant. It's an indication that someone is definitely thinking about buying what is being offered, but they still may not do so.

I do pre-orders all the time on many different things.. My card does not get charged until around the actual ship date. And by then, I've tended to cancel about half of them.

"When you preorder on Amazon when does it charge?"

"When you pre-order a not-yet-released item on Amazon, you will not be charged immediately — instead, the card on file will be charged a few days before the item is released, typically when it ships or a few days prior to its shipping, depending on the item."

So pre-orders are good for getting a kinda sorta feel for an items possible floor to sales, but that's it.

People can cancel orders, but unless something new major happens I just don't see it in any major numbers.

I did cancel my order for Wildemount because I liked Theros a lot better (no insult intended to Wildemount, it sounds well written and it looked great in the youtube preview).

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
People can cancel orders, but unless something new major happens I just don't see it in any major numbers.
Oh, I agree! I was just trying to be helpful in case you thought pre-orders were actual sales. I think they're probably very good at getting estimates, much as you described.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Interesting that Volo's is rolling large, but Mordenkainen is more than 40 slots below. I mean, it is more recent, but I suspect the content has to factor in - it's got a lot of classic stuff, but it hasn't got the ultra-core D&D monsters Volo's has.
Volo's is also more of a player-facing book, while Mordenkainen's is more DM-facing. Players greatly outnumber DMs.

gyor

Legend
Volo's is also more of a player-facing book, while Mordenkainen's is more DM-facing. Players greatly outnumber DMs.

I would actually say MTOFs is more Player facing then VGTM because only the small Player race chapter is for PCs, the rest of VGTM is about, well monsters, were as the entire MTOFs book is Player race based except for part of the bloodwar section and the beastairy. Elves, Tieflings, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes, Gith get a lot of love in this book, were as in VGTMs it's Hags, Giants, Kobolds, Gobliniods, Yuan Ti and Orcs that get the attention (and yes Purebloods, Kobolds, Gobliniods, and Orcs get stats for PCs, they are still viewed as monster races in the book, compared to Aasimar, Tabaxi, Firbolgs, Goliaths, Tritons, ect...)

Although VGTM has one key Player advantage, mechanics for more popular races, and more of them, the none Beastairy section of MTOF is mechanics like because only four new subraces, some reprinted subraces, and one new Race.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would actually say MTOFs is more Player facing then VGTM because only the small Player race chapter is for PCs, the rest of VGTM is about, well monsters, were as the entire MTOFs book is Player race based except for part of the bloodwar section and the beastairy. Elves, Tieflings, Dwarves, Halflings, Gnomes, Gith get a lot of love in this book, were as in VGTMs it's Hags, Giants, Kobolds, Gobliniods, Yuan Ti and Orcs that get the attention (and yes Purebloods, Kobolds, Gobliniods, and Orcs get stats for PCs, they are still viewed as monster races in the book, compared to Aasimar, Tabaxi, Firbolgs, Goliaths, Tritons, ect...)

Although VGTM has one key Player advantage, mechanics for more popular races, and more of them, the none Beastairy section of MTOF is mechanics like because only four new subraces, some reprinted subraces, and one new Race.

And they are all currently selling well, across the board.

teitan

Legend
I preordered it last night, I wasn't sure if I would because I don't need another campaign setting but then I thought, well, I could do one shots on occasion or maybe finally do an over the top Clash of the TItans style game plus the races and subclasses, spells etc might be useful. I didn't get the Ravnica book because I am not a Magic fan but the more I thought about it, the more useful THIS one sounded.

Remove ads