D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros on DNDBeyhond

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Try it in play. The damage type changes, number of attacks per can go up, and in Hythonias case she can FORCE someone to look at her eyes. So that blindsight barbarian with their eyes closed doesn’t matter.

It's still just the same actions. I don't doubt the output is big/worse/better.....I was looking for more cool things, not the same things but more powerful. It's a great idea, it's not as much as I hoped.

dave2008

Legend
Maybe it's me, but I don't get why the mythic actions are all that cool. The idea that they transform after taking damage is kind of cool, but the mythic actions are pretty much the same as their normal actions. I'd really like the actions to be significantly different, so it is clear that the monster is different. They pretty much trigger on 4 edition's bloodied condition, but I'd want/expect some damage output at the transformation. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it still seems kind of vanilla to me, in terms of effects/abilities. The transformations of hearts and spiders and stuff is pretty cool......but the actual changes to what they can do are just ok.
It is not so much the mythic actions that is cool (legendary actions and mythic actions are only as good as the designer), but the Mythic Trait. The Mythic Trait allows one monster to act as two as an "elite" monster. It essential allows a CR 26 monster to act the a monster above CR 30.

To be clear it is not revolutionary, but it is neat to see in official 5e product.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It is not so much the mythic actions that is cool (legendary actions and mythic actions are only as good as the designer), but the Mythic Trait. The Mythic Trait allows one monster to act as two as an "elite" monster. It essential allows a CR 26 monster to act the a monster above CR 30.

To be clear it is not revolutionary, but it is neat to see in official 5e product.

Yup, like I said, it's a great concept......of course, you could just give them twice as many hit points. And, I appreciate the 4e words :)

It's still just the same actions. I don't doubt the output is big/worse/better.....I was looking for more cool things, not the same things but more powerful. It's a great idea, it's not as much as I hoped.
It's not like it precludes such actions - wildly different actions shouldn't really be all that difficult to create. And since this is their first time doing these, they probably kept things more on the conservative side. It looks like people are very receptive to the idea thus far, so I imagine they will let loose a bit more in future products should they (in all likelihood) continue with this concept.

dave2008

Legend
It was more than I had hoped for given how conservative WotC is.

dave2008

Legend
Yup, like I said, it's a great concept......of course, you could just give them twice as many hit points. And, I appreciate the 4e words :)
If that is all you think it is you haven't read them. Have you had a chance to look at them?

EDIT: They do add some new actions too (typically stronger).

dave2008

Legend
No it is not. When TROMOKRATIS Mythic Trait is triggered it has 4 separate organs that must be targeted separately, each with AC 22 and 100 HP. It also gets two new Myhic actions. One is a double action of existing actions and ones is a completely new action.

Besides, these are really just a template for the possibilities.

Remove ads